Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Coucy Le Chateau May 1917

GROBBY

Hi Knittinganddeath I was wondering if you had done the card dated Perchim 29.10.14 or if it was me missing one again .Its below Anizy Le Chatau . I think the 3 gentlemen in the photo are the Korner brothers  and I think they are Deitrich Theodor and Nikolous and they were all in the army .I found it strange that the germans were mobilizing in 1913 by the read of the postcards.Is it possible to do this one as it looks like it shows a military hospital and im not sure if it comes from a sister who was a nurse .Thank you in advance

1828914756_img001(4).jpg.37b757b589c14c51199c5a9f7f4e0969.jpg

img001_pdf.pdf

Hi @GROBBY you are right, I haven't done the Parchim one yet. I managed the first third, and after that just bits and pieces. It's from the brother of Michael Körner and he starts by saying, "As you can see, I am now a soldier." Will give it another go later.

Do you have any guesses about the personal name of the Kanonier that they are always writing to? It's so maddening that they usually just write "Dear Brother" or in the case of the card that you just posted, "Dear Cousin"!

An Kan. Körner

Res. Lazaret Fordon

bei Bromberg

Lieber Vetter!

Deinen Brief und Karte erhal-

ten, wofür ich meinen besten Dank aus-

spreche. Du hast dich aber so verändert.

Auf dieser Karte wirst du mich wohl

nicht erkennen. Es sind nur zwei aus

meinem Saal mit darauf gekommen.

Du hättest aber ein vergnügtes Gesicht

machen müssen. Mit Gruss Deine Base

Anny

To: Kanonier Körner, Reserve-Lazarett Fordon, near Bromberg (now Bydgoszcz in Poland)

Postmarked 2.7.15

Dear Cousin!

I received your letter and card, for which I express my warmest thanks. You have changed so much. You will probably not recognize me on this card. Only two from my floor/room are in the picture. You should have looked happy/made a happy face. Greetings from your cousin Anny

It sounds like he probably sent her a picture of himself?

Edited by knittinganddeath

Hi I think his name is Nikolous from what I can make out from the postcards but it will need some to be  translated to be sure . I wish I had the picture of him to pick him out of the 3  Best of l uck

The card from Parchim

Sorry, I couldn't read much (or make much sense of what I could read!).

An Herrn Michael Körner

Bremervörde

Rahland

Parchim 29.10/14

Lieber Bruder wie

du siehst bin ich jetzt

Soldat und zwar

hier bei den Gefangenen.

Ich habe hier ein gutes

Anato. . . . . . . . .ichtles

ein Kaufmann?

mit 4 Mann davon

ein Sergeant ein . . . .

offizier einen Gefreiter

+ einen ganzen  . . . .

dass . . . ich . . . .

aus aber gut . . . .

dass ist nicht mehr wie 20 Jahre. Herzliche Gruss

dein Bruder W. Körner

To Mr Michael Körner, Bremervörde, Rahland

Parchim, 29.10.14

Dear Brother, as you can see I am now a soldier and am now with the prisoners. I have here a good . . . . . . . . . . a salesman? with 4 men among them a sergeant, a. . . officer, a private + a total  . . . .that I . .  .that is no longer like 20 years. Warm greetings from your brother W. Körner

• Michelle Young changed the title to Coucy Le Chateau May 1917

That is a strange card as I thought Micheal Kormer was the father ( I suppose he could still be ) ,and this gives us another person of the family ,a W Kormer who could be an uncle but the people in the photo dont look that old. Looking again they all look old with the moustaches.I will post another 2 if you dont mind .Thank you

1315998165_img001(4).jpg.ccec2692d5707780f6b9af580756c18b.jpg

1381248040_img001(5).jpg.e37c78659953c00ee39d8421d55b835b.jpg

img001_pdf.pdf

img002_pdf.pdf

Michael and W. could still be siblings, just with a huge age gap. I once saw a photo of 7 brothers in uniform and I think there were at least 20 years between them. The oldest looked like he could be the father of the youngest.

The card with boats

Abs. Musk. Körner, RIR 2/65, etc.

An Herrn

Theo Diedr. Körner

Bremervörde

Provinz Hannover

Am 27. Juli 1916

Lieber Bruder,

Sende dich die besten Grüsse

von hier. Wie geht es dir

dann auch immer. Es ist hier

sehr schönes Wetter. Habe dei-

nen Brief vom 13. erhalten.

Jetzt sei bestens gegrüsst, Dein Bruder Diedrich

To: Mr Theo Diedr. Körner, Bremervörde, Provinz Hannover

27 July 1916

Dear Brother, Sending the warmest greetings from here. How are you doing. Here there is very nice weather. I received your letter from the 13th. Warmest greetings from your brother Diedrich

(Apparently they share a name! Re-reading one of the other cards, I think the sister, Meta, also had Diedrich as a middle name.)

All the men

An den Kanonier

Nikolaus Körner

Feldartillerie Regiment

No 36 I. Batterie

Danzig

Thorn, 9.3.13

Lieber Nik!

Bin gesund und munter

wie immer was ich auch

von Dir erwarte. Hier

auf der Karte das ist Stube

8. Jetzt bin ich auf Stube 11.

Wie ist das fährst du Oster

auf Urlaub. Ich werde

meine Urlaub auf-

schieben bis Pfingsten.

Der kleine Schlosser und der Tisch

ler und [ich] waren heute in

der Stadt ins Kino und so

weiter. Aber hier ist nichts

viel zum amüsieren.

Die lassen dir alle vielemals

grüssen. Was schreibt Else

wem du schreibst. Grüsse alle

von mir sonst nichts Neues

viele Grüsse sendet Jürgen

To: Kanonier Nikolaus Körner, Feldartillerie Regiment No 36, I. Battery, Danzig

Thorn, 9.3.13

Dear Nik!

I'm healthy and happy as usual, and I expect you are too. Here on the card is Barracks 8. I'm now in Barracks 11. How is it, are you going on leave at Easter? I have postponed my leave until Pentecost. The little locksmith, carpenter, and I went into town today to the cinema and so on. But here there isn't much to amuse oneself with here. They all send you their greetings. What does Elsa say, the one you're writing to? Say hello to everyone from me nothing else new many greetings from Jürgen

Does the guy second from the left in the middle row have two black eyes??? Or is that an optical illusion caused by glasses?

Edited to add:

Here's the pic of the brothers that I mentioned above. There are actually 8 of them, and according to the caption the oldest has seven sons!

Source: Das Illustrierte Blatt, https://hwk1.hebis.de/hebis-ffm/periodical/pageview/1347766

2127739409_ScreenShot2021-06-02at21_07_26.png.9eb4d3c553e5c31e3c08e7c3f512d851.png

The Parchim card:

808342014_Bildschirmfoto2021-06-02um21_01_15.png.9c8089e05dfd0d1ceeeb873f67004788.png

So he was tasked with guarding POWs and dwelled together with other soldiers at a merchant´s privat quarter.

GreyC

8 hours ago, knittinganddeath said:

er kleine Schlosser und der Täsch

ler? und waren? vorne? heute in

der Stadt ins Kino und so

weiter. Aber hier ist nichts

viel zum . . . .

Der kleine Schlosser, und der Tischler (Carpenter) und (colloquial expression for) ich waren heute in der Stadt... Aber hier ist nicht viel zum Amüsieren.

The little locksmith, the carpenter and I went to town today to watch a movie at the cinema. Here is not much you can do to entertain yourself.

GreyC

Edited by GreyC

Thank you so much both . I think the guy second left is wearing fine frame glasses .One of the next seems to have a Paris postmark and a censor stamp .Im glad I havnt found the postcards for your family of 8 Knittinganddeath ,that would be a swine to sort out1192084942_img001(4).jpg.f875b142e4f1abe863183abb2f0111c2.jpg

665518937_img002(3).jpg.638cff2f9ba2fdc4488955a584a90f23.jpg

img001_pdf.pdf

img002_pd.pdf

745294046_ScreenShot2021-06-03at09_25_14.png.65589cfc7400a3f8555d8635c1ae1c94.pngAccording to a family tree on Ancestry, Ernst Hoops' mother was Julie Sophie Margarethe Körner; she must have been a sister of Michael. The tree is only for the Hoops branch, so the Körners only appear incidentally via marriage. Nevertheless, it seems that Diedrich/Dietrich, Michael, and Nikolaus were popular names in both families. (Ernst had a brother called Dietrich who died in Jylland in 1917.) 

He must have been wounded relatively soon after he wrote this postcard, as he appears in the Verlustlisten of 26 February 1916. After the war, he worked as a carpenter.

Vouziers

Abs. Pionier Hoops

87. Res. Pi. Komp.

AOK III

Frankreich 8.1.16

Lieber Onkel u. Tante,

Sende euch eine

kleine Ansicht von

einem grösseren

Ort der liegt 20 km

von uns entfernt

hinter der Front

der Ort is we-

nig zerstört.

Hoffentlich geht

es euch noch gut

was ich auch von

mir sagen kann.

Es grüsst Neffe Ernst

From: Pionier Hoops, 87. Reserve Pionier Company, AOK III

France, 8.1.16

Dear Uncle and Aunt, Sending you a small view of a larger settlement that lies about 20 km from us behind the front. The place has not been too damaged. Hopefully you are doing well, which I can also say of myself. Greetings from your nephew Ernst

Photo of Ernst in the 1950s courtesy of Ancestry:

Spoiler

Thank you Knitting this is realy interesting to see the sender and to get the family history as I have tryed on Find My Past and FamilySearch  and have been getting blanks .I am posting another although the writing is not good I thought the photo was great .I was wondering whether the 3 people were the 3 brothers ,I will find out after translation I hope .

1695443657_img001(2).jpg.ccbdcd2064e6380b97385769a50ca553.jpg

img001a.pdf

The airplane

An Herrn Michael Körner

Maurer

Bremervörde

Rahlandstr 9

(Provinz Hannover)

Liebe Eltern u. Geschw[ister]

Sende Euch hiermit einen fr[eun]dl]ichen]

Gruss von Cöln und eine schöne An-

sicht von Elsenborn. Könnt mal

sehen wie wir dort durch die Luft

gesausst sind. Es geht mir noch

immer recht gut, welches ich auch

von Euch erwarte. Euer Sohn Diedr.

Musketier Körner 1. Kompanie

Ers. Batl. Res. Inf. Reg. 65 Cöln am Rhein

Kaiser Wilhelm Ring

Postmarked 24.8.15

To Mr Michael Körner, etc.

Dear Parents and Siblings, Hereby sending you a friendly greeting from Cologne and a nice view of Elsenborn. You can see how we whizzed through the air there. I am still doing very well, and expect the same of you. Your son Diedr.

[Return adddress]: Musketier Körner, 1. Kompanie, Ersatz-Bataillon Reserve Infanterie Regiment 65, Cologne on the Rhine, Kaiser-Wilhelm-Ring

Kaiser-Wilhelm-Ring is the street and nowadays it looks like a lot of postwar office buildings (according to Google Maps).

The card from France

Abs. Rudolf Blankemeyer Pionier

2. Garde-Pionier Comp.

Cic? P? G? 74

Par dépot départmental de l'Aisne

An Fräulein Adeline Blankemeyer

b/ Frau Hayssen (1)

Strohausen bei Rodenkirchen

Oldenburg

Tartiers, 16.11.19 (2)

Liebe Schwester!

Erhielt heute seit 3 Wochen mal

endlich wieder Post. U.a. dein Brief

vom 27.10 hast Dank dafür. Es

freut mich, das alles wohlauf ist. Ich

hatte mein Schreiben schon etwas eingestellt

in der Hoffnung, selbst dort recht bald

. . . . an zu halten, aber vorläufig

wohl noch nicht. Das Vagabondenleben

hier soll eben noch kein Ende nehmen.

Bis auf weiteres. Herz. Gruss D[ein] Br[uder] Rudolf

Gruss an Mutter

From: Pionier Rudolf Blankemeyer, 2. Garde Pionier Comp Cic? P? G? 74, by way of the depot for the department (state/province) of the Aisne

To: Miss Adeline Blankemeyer, c/o Mrs Hayssen, Strohausen near Rodenkirchen, Oldenburg

Postmarked 2.12 by the censor

Tartiers, 16.11.19

Dear Sister!

Today I received mail for the first time in 3 weeks, including your letter of 27.10. Thank you. I'm glad to hear that everything is going well. I delayed my reply for a while in the hope that I would be there soon myself, but for now that won't happen. The vagabond life here isn't going to end. Until later. Warm greetings from your brother Rudolf. Greetings to Mother.

(1) The Hayssen family can be documented as well-established in Strohausen for about a century before the war. I found a family tree, but can't seem to match up any potential landladies.

(2) The card is dated 1919. The postmark is a bit blurry so could be either 18 or 19 though I favour 19 as it lacks the indentation on the right side that would indicate an 8. There was a 2-week delay between him writing the card and the censor clearing it. If I read PG in his return address correctly, it could stand for prisonnier de guerre (POW).

Thank you Knitting for doing that so promtly .Im glad to see one of the 3 is Diedrich ,Ah but which one ? I dont think we will ever know ,but its very interesting anyway . The one from france means I have 2 P.O.W cards now .Its strange he calls his life a vagabond life which I would take to mean a traveling life which I would not think a prisoners life would be .He writes as the war is over and he hoped to be home ,Ihope it wasnt too long Here are another two .One of them might be difficult.Thank you in advance

771857832_img001(2).jpg.06db8fabd1229951126891c209619e66.jpg

2036833047_img001(3).jpg.6e0abfe2c501d577f30f8b109f509293.jpg

Here's a comparison between the cards with pics of Diedrich. One of the men on the top is the same as one of the men on the bottom...but which one?!

476004579_ScreenShot2021-06-04at18_49_32.png.7950b13e4687aa00c0d0db7ee2e74d74.png

When I first saw the postcard I thought it was all three but looking closely I think its the one on the right but what do you think ? .Ive looked to see if I had any more photos ,I have one more but dont know who sent it (it needs translation ) .I will post it now to see if its from one of the brothers .One of the soldiers is marked with a cross

1611529061_img001(2).jpg.d28c1932bb3d092edd52904234a79ec5.jpg

img001_pdf.pdf

Beverloo

Abs. Muskt. A. K. . . .ck

Inf. Ers.

9. Battl. 4. Komp

6. Korp

Beverloo Belgien

An Trompeter Krahmer

Feld-Artill. Regt. No 47

4. Ers. Batterie

Fulda

Beverloo, den 14.5.16

Lieber Freund!

Deine Karte dankend

erhalten noch sehr

darüber gefreut, dass du

wieder einmal an mich

gedacht hast. Bin jetzt

mit nach Beverloo in

Belgien gekommen.

Gefällt mir ganz gut

bis jetzt. Bist du wieder

raus aus dem Lazarett

Mir geht es noch ganz

hoffentlich dir auch.

Mit Gruss dein Freund

Alfred

From: Musketier A. K. . .ck, Infanterie Ersatz, 9. Battl. 4. Komp, 6. Korp.

To: Trumpeter Krahmer, Feld-Artillerie Regt. 47, 4. Ersatz-Batterie, Fulda

Dear Friend! With thanks I received your card and am still very pleased that you once again thought of me. I have now come to Beverloo in Belgium. I like it quite well so far. Are you out of the Lazarett yet. I am doing okay, hope you are too. Greetings from your friend Alfred

Vallée de la Meuse - Nouzen (Ardennes)

Abs. Musk. Theo Körner

Inftr. Regt. 3/158?

An Herrn Michael Körner

Bremervörde

Rahlandsweg No 9

Bez. Bremen

Geschr. den 6. Mai 1918

Liebe Eltern! Habe heute

Euren lieben Brief vom 28.IV

ebenso 2 Briefe mit Briefpapier

das gl[eiche] vom 28.IV unter vielen

Dank erhalten. Morgen werden

hoffentlich die Pakete überkom-

men. Habe gestern abend den

Brief vom 1. Mai erhalten mit Bild.

Heute erhielt ich 4 Briefe von Euch und

einen von Nikolaus. Grüsse von Theo

To: Mr Michael Körner, etc.

Written on 6 May 1918

Dear parents! I received your dear letter from 28.IV today as well as 2 letters with writing paper, the same from 28.IV. Tomorrow hopefully the packages will arrive. Yesterday I received the letter of 1 May with the photograph. Today I received 4 letters from you and one from Nikolaus. Greetings from Theo

The group picture: Der Kaiser rief und alle kamen

The Kaiser called and everyone answered

From Diedrich to his parents and Theo.

Köln, den 27.6.1915.

Liebe Eltern u. Theo!

Habe Euren Brief dankend erhalten.

Von Nikolaus kriegt[e] ich noch schon eine Karte

Habe ihn schon Freitag eine dieser Karte

geschickt, ob er noch länger dort bleibt

hat er nicht geschrieben. Wenn ich eine Kar-

ton habe sende ich meine alten Brocken.

Wir dürfen noch nicht raus. Liegen hier

im Bürgerquartier. Ich gewöhne mir schon

immer besser an den Klöterkram. Nur dass

man keine Fettigkeiten zum Brot kriegt.

Habe aber noch 15. . . . .

Hoffendl[ich] erkommt Ihr

mich.

Gruss von Hein!

Besten Gruss Euer Diedr.

Cologne, 27.6.1915

Dear parents and Theo! With thanks I received your letter. I received a card from Nikolaus. I sent him one of these cards already on Friday, he did not say if he would stay there longer. When I have a box I will send all my old stuff. We still aren't allowed out. We are here in civilian quarters. I am already getting used to the small things [clutter? small talk? this word is not in the dictionary]. Only one can't get any fats [like butter] for bread. I still have 15. . . .

Hopefully you will come to see me.

Greetings from Hein!

Warm greetings from your Diedrich

What do you think? Is this him?

322052998_ScreenShot2021-06-04at23_13_11.png.1a628a3128f0f149be949e1f51c4f4df.png

Wow thats great I think you are right and we have Diedrich at last . It was lucky we had the last one to check with especialy as he put a cross over his head. Its a shame I dont have any more photos of the Korners as it would have been nice to sort the other 2 brothers,still we have him and a cousin and uncle. I will post another 2 if you are not fed up with them yet.

592040498_img001(2).jpg.29d997d5c04cc730a00ed6cb9ba0d2bc.jpg

644532507_img001(3).jpg.230c129179e321c55240b0e1096139f0.jpg

img002_pdf.pdf

img001_pdf.pdf

16 minutes ago, GreyC said:

It is not rockets (Raketen) it is Pakete (Packets):)

GreyC

Oh God, I should have trusted my instincts -- which was actually Pakete -- but I hesitated and ended up going for Rakete because it sounded so much more warlike. Thank you.

Erdwohnungen im Feindesland

An Michael Körner, etc.

Am 26.5.1916

Liebe Eltern

Es geht mir noch immer

recht gut, hoffe dasselbe

auch von Euch. Es hat die

letzten Tage immmer ge-

regnet. Das war schlecht bei

der Arbeit verputzen. Nikolaus

schreibt ja auch noch gut. Nun

besten Gruss. Euer Sohn Diedrich

Gruss an Theo

und Familie Hölting

Earthen dwellings in the enemy country

Dear parents, I am still doing quite well, I hope you are too. It's been raining for the past few days. It was bad at work. Nikolaus wrote as well. Now warm greetings from your son Diedrich. Greetings to Theo and the Hölting family.

Budapest

An Michael Körner, etc.

Abs. Gefr. Körner, 7. Batl.

Feldartl. Regt. 209, 101. Inft. Div.

den 13. Dez. 1916

Liebe Eltern! Habe bis jetzt noch kein Schreiben

von Euch erhalten. Warte schon die ganze

Zeit darauf. Hoffentlich erhalte ich

bald eine Nachricht. Schönen Gruss

an Theodor und Familie Hölting.

Mit herzlichen Gruss Euer

Sohn Nicholas.

From: Gefreiter Körner, 7th Battalion, Feldartillerie-Regiment 209, 101st Infantry Division

13 December 1916

Dear Parents! Until now I haven't received any correspondence from you. I've been waiting the whole time for it. Hopefully I will get some news soon. Warm greetings to Theodor and the Hölting family. Greetings from your son Nikolaus

Hopefully no mistakes as egregious as the Rakete/Pakete one from last time! ;-)

Edited by knittinganddeath

I t wouldnt matter if you did ,you are doing brilliantly .It looks like Diedrich has had a bad time . I didnt realise his name was Theodro  I though it was Theodor but i suppose im thinking of the english version.A couple of scenic views this time and im trying to find ones with good writing .Best of luck .Thank you

1621342471_img001(2).jpg.5622981f810e0ec27593dd0e0e089761.jpg

98619178_img001(3).jpg.ceb8e27f8f7d953ac0c2c16b059563d8.jpg

img002_pdf.pdfimg001_pdf.pdf

img001 (2).jpg

2 hours ago, knittinganddeath said:

Hopefully no mistakes as egregious as the Rakete/Pakete one from last time! ;-)

You´re doing great!

GreyC