Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

German Uniform Photos

4thGordons

The second photo is of No.3 Section of the Eisenbahn Regiment 2 Recruit Depot. The sender was Pionier Willy Jarren who is somewhere in the photo.

Charlie

1 minute ago, themonsstar said:

Charles what's an Eisenbahn🙄

Railway or Railroad, I think.

Edited by Jools mckenna

14 hours ago, themonsstar said:

31st Prussian Regt?

I know one of the medal ribbons is the Iron cross 2nd class not sure of the other. 

The second one is a soldier from the Prussian 107th Regt? 

IMG_20190921_100249446.jpg

IMG_20190921_100126388.jpg

A German signals unit

IMG_20190921_090007931.jpg

Hello!

The 2nd ribbon of #1 is the War Merit Cross of Lippe-Detmold

https://www.ehrenzeichen-orden.de/deutsche-staaten/kriegsverdienstkreuz-1914.html

Thank you for the information on the cards, this is what great about this website is the amount of knowledge you guys have and pass on.

I posted a card like this a couple of months ago however what's nice about this one is that it's been used and the information is on the back not that I have a clue what is on there other than the basics.

IMG_20190921_100403122.jpg

IMG_20190921_100447615.jpg

The sender is  from  Armierungsbataillon 76, !. Kompagnie. That is sure. Mil. Eis. Dir.. could  mean Militär-Eisenbahn-Direktion. Never heart, but possible.

Militär Eisenbahn Direktion 1 had its HQ in Lille and was responsible for maintaining and operating the railways behind the lines. 

Charlie

I can't decipher much of it. Looks like just a few words to show his family that he is still alive, he mentions an earlier letter he received and says something about (his?) children in the end. The stamp gives us no hint wherefrom the postcard was sent, just the date which is also mentioned on top of the postcard. But as a location he simply says "Im Felde" and in an Armierungsbataillon it could have been anywhere in a large area around the HQ in Lille.

Hi,

the card is from (Oberleutnant?) Riggelsen to his father (and family) in Mohrkirchosterholz (today Mohrkirch) in Schleswig-Holstein. His father was "Amtsvorsteher" i.e. the highest ranking policeman of the district. As the sender writes his address is the Mil Eis. Direktion, he will have been based in Lille. The Card shows an advertisment to buy war bonds.

GreyC

Nice job, @GreyC, I would have never guessed Mohrkirch. "bey Kiel" distracted me a bit, but I should have looked into the Verlustlisten. List Preußen 1173 mentions on page 24588 a Wilhelm Riggelsen, Oberleutnant, living in Mohrkirch. He was wounded 1 March 1918 and stayed with his unit.

Glad I was correct. Sometines it´s really difficult, especially if the writing-sample is short. That´s why I always am for posting the whole piece of writing as you have done. That made it much easier!

GreyC

Edited by GreyC

This book was published in 1931on German Pioneer's I have posted the contents so if anyone is looking for any information on the Pioneer's from the other side just post during the 1st WW.

IMG_20190926_165102095.jpg

IMG_20190926_165133148.jpg

IMG_20190926_165200951.jpg

IMG_20190926_165214778.jpg

IMG_20190926_165218502.jpg

IMG_20190926_165232545.jpg

Edited by themonsstar

I had a great uncle who was a member of Pioneer Regiment No29. He was killed in the Argonne on 22 April 1915. I have their regimental history but tricky for me to fully comprehend as I am not a reader of German.

I have recently bought this photo of Officers and Ncos playing cards and it seems like one Nco is named. Could anyone tell me what it says?

Screenshot_20190927-142739~2.png

Screenshot_20190927-142804~2.png

Edited by Jools mckenna

Sorry,

no time for translation:

Zum Andenken an den letzten Tag im Waldlager v. Russland

von links nach rechts:

sitzend: Uffz: Hillenbrand, stehend Vzfw Erl, Schurter (?), ich, u. Reindl

Beim gemütlichen Tarock.

Uffz. Reindl wurde in Rumänien schwer verwundet (Bauchschuß) auch trafen wir ihn durch Zufall im Lazarett in Piscul. Kurz vorher wurde ihm das Geschoß aus dem Bauch entfernt. War schwer mitgenommen.

16 minutes ago, GreyC said:

Sorry,

no time for translation:

Thanks grey for the transcript, I can get a rough idea what it means using Google translate.

On 26/09/2019 at 18:03, themonsstar said:

This book was published in 1931on German Pioneer's I have posted the contents so if anyone is looking for any information on the Pioneer's from the other side just post during the 1st WW.

Roy,

do you have any idea if (2. Westpreußisches) Pionier-Bataillon 23 is mentioned in the book? I am looking for information about a pioneer Josef Berensmeier (5. Kompanie, II. Feld-Bataillon, Pionier-Regiment 23) who was reported missing on 25 September 2015. Up to now I couldn't find anything about the first five companies of the regiment, so I don't even know where he was reported missing, the Champagne is the best guess. The Verlustlisten only state the date and the unit. For me, it is not even clear whether they had already been integrated into (Masurisches) Pionier-Bataillon 26.

Markus

Edited by Jaeger6

2 hours ago, Jaeger6 said:

who was reported missing on 25 September 2015.

Markus,

better late than never!:D

I‘ve had a look at some of the others who were reported PoW in the same list as Berensmeier and they were in French captivity. Unfortunately their place of capture is not recorded in the Red Cross files but are recorded as Pi. Regt. 23. It might be worth your while looking at more of them, sometimes those recorded as missing have a RC index card which records where they were last seen.

Charlie

Edited by charlie2

Thanks, Charlie.

At least it seems clear that the unit was transferred to the western front - after a hundred years ;)- and I should follow the French threads IRC and troops around Prosnes.

Markus