Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

German Uniform Photos

4thGordons

I agree, but those Offiziers-Aspiranten-Courses were not limited to one unit only. And not all in the photo belong to IR 92. However, the information I gathered just now (and added) and your remark on Schwadrone makes it unlikely.

GreyC

Thanks GreyC and Fritz for your suggestions, I think Übungslager is probably correct.

The Robert Henze Garde Res. Regt is a different person who probably lived in the town of Holzminden rather than within Kreis Holzminden. The Robert Henze from Golmbach, a pre war teacher, was serving with RIR 78 in Braunschweig in June 1915 and was serving with IR 92 in the field by October 1915.

Charlie

Hi Charlie,

sorry for mixing up the two with identical name and county.

Do you know where he taught and at what level?

GreyC

Edited by GreyC

1 hour ago, GreyC said:

Hi Charlie,

sorry for mixing up the two with identical name and county.

Do you know where he taught and at what level?

GreyC

Easy done with the sparse information contained in the casualty lists, I would have thought the same if I didn‘t have the postcards.

I only have 3 postcards addressed to him as „Herrn Lehrer“. None of which indicate at which school or at what level. One is dated 22.3.1911 and just records „Hasselfelde i Harz“ It is still pretty much a one horse town. The second one dated 31.1.1912 has been redirected from Hasselfelde to Holzminden. The third and earliest is addressed to him in Golmbach which is probably smaller than Hasselfelde. There is also a postcard dated 4.6.1905,  addressed to him as „Seminarist“ at Harzstr. 11, Wolfenbüttel, so it looks like he studied there to become a teacher.

Charlie

Yes, there was a known Lehrer-Seminar there. So he is a Volkschullehrer, not an Oberlehrer. Not far from the seminar was the Wolfenbüttel-library, which at one time was one of the largest librairies in the world and Lessing was the director of it. Wolfenbüttel was also a residency of the dukes of Brunswick. So a reasonably important little town.

If he was a teacher at Holzminden, there might still be his teacher-file at the local municipal archive.

GreyC

Edited by GreyC

Got these 2 which show what appears like same horse. These 2 came out of the lot I mentioned last time. Again from Reserve Infanterie division 22. The particular regiment is RIR 82. The name of the sender and what it says, would be great.

Scan0155.jpg

Scan0232.jpg

Scan0233.jpg

Edited by Jools mckenna

His name is Leutnant Curt Lampe or Lompe. He writes to Luzie that though she did not react to his last mail he sends her another photo which he suggest should find its way into her Great War souvenir album.

GreyC

Well, it doesn't look like it ever found its way into her Great War souvenir album. Thanks, Grey. 

The number on the shoulderboard is 110(does that mean the Gren.R 110?). Looks like a mix of different regiments.

Scan0150.jpg

10 hours ago, GreyC said:

His name is Leutnant Curt Lampe or Lompe. He writes to Luzie that though she did not react to his last mail he sends her another photo which he suggest should find its way into her Great War souvenir album.

GreyC

Hello!

Lt.d.Res. Kurt (Curt) Lompe was wounded in 3rd comp./RIR 82 in 1916:

http://des.genealogy.net/search/show/3524201

He was born in Sondershausen/Thüringen, where the card goes to.

Edited by The Prussian

12 hours ago, GreyC said:

Yes, there was a known Lehrer-Seminar there. So he is a Volkschullehrer, not an Oberlehrer. Not far from the seminar was the Wolfenbüttel-library, which at one time was one of the largest librairies in the world and Lessing was the director of it. Wolfenbüttel was also a residency of the dukes of Brunswick. So a reasonably important little town.

If he was a teacher at Holzminden, there might still be his teacher-file at the local municipal archive.

GreyC

Thanks for the extra info.

9 hours ago, Jools mckenna said:

The number on the shoulderboard is 110(does that mean the Gren.R 110?). Looks like a mix of different regiments.

Scan0150.jpg

No, Grenadier Regt 110 had the monogramm WR I on their shoulderboards. 110 indicates RIR 110.

Charlie

I was visiting the Aldershot military museum  the other day and they allowed us to go in the back area  and look at the militaria in the store room. I picked up this German helmet which  I was pretty impressed with. I believe it's in M18 and you can just make out the stormtroopers colour however it was the name of the German soldier, Ufiz Kiefer  which interested me more. Does anyone know anything about him so I can place it with the helmet.

Thank you for any help

Roy

IMG_20190517_111922704.jpg

5 hours ago, themonsstar said:

...it was the name of the German soldier, Ufiz Kiefer  which interested me more. Does anyone know anything about him so I can place it with the helmet...

I believe the first part is actually "Uffz." - which would fit for the abbreviation of the rank "Unteroffizier", roughly equivalent to something like Sergeant or Staff Sergeant:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Unteroffizier

Given it's a common rank and apparently a common surname, without any other details I suspect you will struggle to tie it down to one man.

I agree, it would be looking for a needle in a haystack. Always presuming he was wounded/killed there are more than 2000 entries in the casualty lists for the name Kiefer.

8 hours ago, themonsstar said:

I believe it's in M18 

Looks like a M16 to me as it has the full leather liner. 

RIR 78. As the postcard was posted in Braunschweig I expect the Troddel indicates No 5 Company rather than No 9 Company

BBD7560E-DC4D-4C15-9D8F-51D2B2220115.jpeg

B79DC29F-87EE-4C0D-A41C-6256EC3A924F.jpeg

Ernst Junger's unit!

I read the shoulder tag number as 73 - so, where have I gone wrong this time?:(

5 hours ago, trajan said:

I read the shoulder tag number as 73 - so, where have I gone wrong this time?:(

Hi Julian!

You could put it on your nimble fingers on the keyboard. :D

9 hours ago, GreyC said:

As Charlie posted it (above photo): the guys are from RIR 78 ;-)

GreyC

3 hours ago, The Prussian said:

Hi Julian!

You could put it on your nimble fingers on the keyboard. :D

Hmmm... Well I did go for an eye test yesterday, and new spectacles certainly needed to replace old ones, so there you go! Thanks, mates, for the light let-down fro my mistake...

Julian

PS: Oh, and while I remember (thinking on Junger), either of you two know if a copy (in German) of W.Flex, Der Wanderer zwischen beiden Welten - ein Kriegserlebnis and/or R.Binding, Aus dem Kriege is on line?