Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

German Uniform Photos

4thGordons

I thought you guys might find this interesting. Shame it's missing the cockade.

IMG_20190710_152035.jpg

IMG_20190710_152029.jpg

IMG_20190710_152020.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

In memory/As a memento of the Somme 1916. (Thanks, JWK for the translation.)

sleepingf (2).jpg

I picked up three small (largest 10.5 x 6.5) photographs of interest at the Antika Pazari last Sunday. I'll post them separetly for proper comment.

No 1. - Given the litzen and the monogrammed epaulettesand the Dresden location, I am thinking Kgl.Sächs.2.Grenadier-Regiment Kaiser Wilhelm, König von Preußen Nr.101 - but as usual, I am happy to be corrected!

IMG_0413A.jpg

IMG_0414A.jpg

No 2: Ulanen - given the location of the photograph, then Ulanen-Regiment Kaiser Alexander II. von Rußland (1. Brandenburgisches) Nr. 3. It looks like they both have the Kaiser-Wilhelm-Erinnerungsmedaille Zentenarmedaille and so post 22nd March 1897. I beleive this type of tunic cuff is the 'Polish cuff'?

IMG_0411A.jpg

IMG_0412A.jpg

No 3: Certainly not WW1 period, I admit, but of interest nonetheless, I hope!

A member of the 4th company of the Infanterie-Regiment General-Feldmarschall Prinz Friedrich Karl von Preußen (8. Brandenburgisches) Nr. 64: I assume his last name is 'Ziehm', a name still found in Brandenburg, where the regiment was based. He is holding what I beleive is a "leichtes Perkussionsgewehr Model 1841", better known to most as the "Dreyse Zündnadelgewehr" (Dreyse needle-gun), with the socket bayonet (M.1841) fixed in its reversed position. This rifle was gradually replaced by the Gew.71 as from 1871, suggesting a date for the photograph or before or around the time of the Franco-Prussian War while he has just the one cockade, confirming it must have been taken before 22nd March 1897, when the two-cockade system was formalised.

IMG_0409A.jpg

IMG_0410A.jpg

Great pics, Julian!!!!!!!!! Thanx for showing!

Thanks GreyC and Andy! They were remarkably cheap also - TL 20 each = GBP 2.90... Well, certainly cheap for Turkey! 

Edited by trajan

Yes, remakably cheap. I had to walk away at first thinking I had misunderstood the guy and he wanted USD 20 each - then I checked... They were in a box full of photographs of the same general size and type and date, one at least torn from an album, but these three were the only German military ones and each with something to show of interest - there were, though, two showing A-Hungarian officers / soldiers with no extra detail other than unit numbers on their uniforms. Crazy thing is the next row of sellers had two photographs dated 1940 showing a Turkish soldier with an Ersatz fixed to his Turkish Mauser which I would have liked for my collection - but the dealer wanted TL 250 for them, so no sale there. 

Julian

That's always been my feeling. Lots of good German archaeologists came here at that time. Interestingly enough they seemingly co-operated easily for their work with the then head of the DAI in Istanbul, and recent research, unpublished as yet, indicates he was an out-and-out NSDAP supporter even in his teens, joining by special permission when under-age. But best leave off here as we are straying into non-WW1 territory...

A member of the 4th company of the Infanterie-Regiment General-Feldmarschall Prinz Friedrich Karl von Preußen (8. Brandenburgisches) Nr. 64: I assume his last name is 'Ziehm', a name still found in Brandenburg, where the regiment was based. He is holding what I beleive is a "leichtes Perkussionsgewehr Model 1841", better known to most as the "Dreyse Zündnadelgewehr" (Dreyse needle-gun), with the socket bayonet (M.1841) fixed in its reversed position. This rifle was gradually replaced by the Gew.71 as from 1871, suggesting a date for the photograph or before or around the time of the Franco-Prussian War while he has just the one cockade, confirming it must have been taken before 22nd March 1897, when the two-cockade system was formalised.

There are a series of blogs that address this issue specifically. there are three in the development of infantry doctrine parts 2,3 and four. You might find it interesting.

https://german1914.com/the-development-of-infantry-doctrine-part-two/

There is so much good content here that I am amazed all the time. After our last book was published I started doing this blog. It has grown significantly and is added to daily. You might find parts of it interesting. The group in Facebook I think is worth it for its comments but if you do not do Facebook there is a web-based site that can give you all of the daily blogs.

Check out the Facebook group German1914.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/464980827680299/

Also the daily blog at german1914.com

Bavarian's from KB RIR 17.

Scan0301.jpg

Edited by Jools mckenna

Good evening,

this photo was certainly taken in the area of "Neuve Chapelle"

michel

On 06/08/2019 at 22:11, joerookery said:

There is so much good content here that I am amazed all the time. After our last book was published I started doing this blog. It has grown significantly and is added to daily. You might find parts of it interesting. The group in Facebook I think is worth it for its comments but if you do not do Facebook there is a web-based site that can give you all of the daily blogs.

Check out the Facebook group German1914.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/464980827680299/

Also the daily blog at german1914.com

Thanks for the link Joe! We all continue to live and learn!

There is an absolutely massive amount of information being passed around about the German army in 1914. He really has grown tremendously. The day by day  following of the right wing of the German army has been very popular. The Facebook group is by far the best place to go as you get other peoples inputs, Not just mine  not just mine.  This is really opening the eyes of all sorts of people as it is completely different than what we learned in school, what we assumed, and completely different than Zuber.  I would encourage any pal with an interest in World War I 1914 German history jump in and read.

On 06/08/2019 at 13:09, trajan said:

A member of the 4th company of the Infanterie-Regiment General-Feldmarschall Prinz Friedrich Karl von Preußen (8. Brandenburgisches) Nr. 64: I assume his last name is 'Ziehm', a name still found in Brandenburg

The first line gives us also his rank, "Musketier", his full name seems to be "Friedrich Ziehm"

On 14/08/2019 at 21:09, Jaeger6 said:

The first line gives us also his rank, "Musketier", his full name seems to be "Friedrich Ziehm"

Thanks!

• 1 month later...

31st Prussian Regt?

I know one of the medal ribbons is the Iron cross 2nd class not sure of the other. 

The second one is a soldier from the Prussian 107th Regt? 

IMG_20190921_100249446.jpg

IMG_20190921_100126388.jpg

A German signals unit

IMG_20190921_090007931.jpg

Hi themonsstar,

1.) IR 31 is a possibility but also LIR and RIR 31would match.

2.) NOT Prussian. See cockade . Its the Saxon IR 107 (there was no Prussian 107).

3.) In German called "Blinker", a special branch of the signaller´s units. The cylinders on the left provide the gas with which the signalling devices were operated with. They also have telephones, though, obviously.

See my attached example from a Blinker unit within IR 140.

GreyC

x140_IR_BlinkertruppRegimentsNachrichtenzugInfPionierKompanie_Ruhequartier20061918_D.jpg.5242f4d064d8cfba1d59c4d9d3c92e78.jpg

Edited by GreyC