Saxon belt buckle IR 107, years ago found in Flanders soil, 

on the side 107 R. 11th company

Cnock

DSC_1182.JPG

DSC_1185.JPG

2 hours ago, Cnock said:

Saxon belt buckle IR 107, years ago found in Flanders soil, 

on the side 107 R. 11th company

A wonderful find indeed - where exactly did it turn up? I'm interested to know whether it can be tied to the known movements of IR 107 / 58. Inf. Div.

Un fortunately I don't know where it was found,  the owner before was from Ypres.

regards,

Cnock 

22 hours ago, Martin Feledziak said:

I was going to make a guess ...

BUT we will never know.

[overlay map of La Houssoie sector]

That's definitely a strong possibility (up to March 1915), but IR 107 was in Flanders again later with 58. Inf. Div.. They were at Railway Wood in October 1916, then in the horrific fighting for Houthulst Forest in autumn 1917 and near Poelkapelle that winter. From May to August 1918 they were on the Mont Kemmel front with billets at Ploegsteert Wood.

• 2 weeks later...

Dear All,

I made out the NCO with EKII in the Group photo, also standing at Right of the mass Group photo, on his own.

Kindest regards,

Kim.

Hello!

Yes. Granatwerfer-Kurs. An exercise for using the small grenade launchers.

By example this one:

https://www.bulgarianartillery.it/Bulgarian Artillery 1/Granatenwerfer 16.htm

Edited by The Prussian

9 hours ago, Kimberley John Lindsay said:

Dear All,

I made out the NCO with EKII in the Group photo, also standing at Right of the mass Group photo, on his own.

Kindest regards,

Kim.

By Jove! Certainly looks like it! I assume he is wearing his EK II in the second photo to impress the new boys! And/or recently awarded?

Best wishes,

Julian

Edited by trajan

On 22/12/2019 at 22:53, GWF1967 said:

"Grenade Throwing Course"? Heuberg. 1917.

Does anybody know where exactly the Heuberg is situated?

I read it several times in the Erinnerungsblätter of the Jägerregiment 6, but it is not clear where to place it.

Several times it is mentioned as a place to retreat from Bulgarenwald to the Wilhelmstellung, north of Herzog-Albrecht-Weg.

On Oude Zonnebekestraat is an s-bend with a bus stop and an information panel about Bassevillebeek Valley; this could be the place.

Any other guess out there?

Best wishes,

Markus

Hello Markus!

No, Heuberg was a german training ground near Sigmaringen (XIV. Army Corps) in Baden.

https://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Truppenübungsplatz_Heuberg

Please note the stamp on the reverse from Offenburg (Baden) and the other stamp of the Baden Ers.Btl./Inf.Rgt.170 from Offenburg and Donaueschingen.

Edited by The Prussian

And sometimes they used well known placenames as that of the training ground Heubrg to name significant places after them at the front. Be it because of similar function or because of similar apperance.

GreyC

Ha, and in the middle of the map my hometown...:D

By the way. It must be Heuberg in Baden. Otherwise there would be no stamp from Offenburg on it!

On 27/12/2019 at 18:13, charlie2 said:

I can‘t help with Heuberg, but this sketch from the history of IR 413 shows the approximate position of the Bulgarenwald.

Thanks a lot, Charlie. Also quite interesting maps with regards to my interest in the Jäger-Regiment 6.

The Bereitschaft Bulgarenwald points at the place which is nowadays still a small forest called Bulgar Woods in English. It even has about the same size as in 1917. It is part of a local recreational area.

The company of the JR 6 in which my grandgranduncle served was responsible for the "M.G.-Nest in der nordöstlichen Ecke des Bulgarenwaldes" as the Erinnerungsblätter say. This could be the M.G.-Nest in your map.

Still, the only reference I could not pinpoint is the "Heuberg". A picture of it is exhibited in Hooge Crater Museum but they couldn't help me with a localization.

Here a useful sketch which Lee Ingelbrecht at Passchendaele archives made and a picture of the Bulgarenwald nowadays.

Markus

1090576134_Map3DeutscheStellungenundBulgarenwald.jpg.44ac1c9bf825e29e90c97937f42dada5.jpg1090576134_Map3DeutscheStellungenundBulgarenwald.jpg.44ac1c9bf825e29e90c97937f42dada5.jpge Archives made.

DSCN1286.JPG.ca2c910bbb3463ca918498b5f48b767e.JPG

Position on the Oise October 1916

Nice to see the Mg badge, the men are likely Pioneers, not artillery as there is a man struggling with a handful of pickaxes on the background(or at least that's the my logic)

IMG_0004e (3).jpg

On 23/12/2019 at 01:00, Kimberley John Lindsay said:

Dear All,

Kindest regards,

Kim.

Great spot Kim, many belated thanks.

On 23/12/2019 at 04:29, The Prussian said:

Hello!

Yes. Granatwerfer-Kurs. An exercise for using the small grenade launchers.

By example this one:

https://www.bulgarianartillery.it/Bulgarian Artillery 1/Granatenwerfer 16.htm

On 23/12/2019 at 10:35, trajan said:

By Jove! Certainly looks like it! I assume he is wearing his EK II in the second photo to impress the new boys! And/or recently awarded?

Best wishes,

Julian

Many thanks to all for your help, and a Happy New Year to all.

• 3 weeks later...

Camouflage Trench scene. 

4 Company?  Infantry Regiment 168, 25th Reserve Division.  11 Pionire is written at the bottom.

Named.5 (3).jpg

German Trench back (2).jpg

Edited by GWF1967