Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

German Uniform Photos

4thGordons

That one with Kaiser Bill in it (no 3 above) shows his short right arm to perfection!

I DO love the 'how to do a goose-step (Stechschritt) march' ones! Apparently the East German army retained it untl re-unification in 1990!

I get the impression that these all relate to one of the Guard units at Potsdam or Berlin. Should be able to work out from the helmets and shoulder tabs...

Julian 

The next to the last photo was taken at Schloss Bellevue (Berlin). The last photo is of the 1. Garde Regiment z.F. the „boy“ soldier is Prinz Joachim, his size dates the photo to about 1906.

Thanks for sharing Roy

Charlie

18 hours ago, trajan said:

That one with Kaiser Bill in it (no 3 above) shows his short right arm to perfection!

and was taken in Potsdam. Garnisonskirche in the background.

GreyC

Thanks GreyC. I have never got to Potsdam - is mufh left from before the big air raids of 1944?

2 hours ago, GreyC said:

and shows members of the 3rd Grenadier Regiment.

GreyC

I‘m not sure but I think it is an older Prinz Joachim presenting something to the soldiers on the right, have you any idea what it might be - badges of rank perhaps?

Photo 1 in post 1877 I find very interesting, are overalls being worn over the normal uniform trousers? The two drummers on the left appear to be drumming on practice pads mounted on stands.

Charlie

42 minutes ago, trajan said:

Thanks GreyC. I have never got to Potsdam - is mufh left from before the big air raids of 1944?

It‘s a few years since I was in Potsdam but it is worth a visit next time you are in the area. Schloss Sanssouci is wonderful.

Charlie

Hi Charlie and Trajan,

used to visit Potsdam center way back when often and can indeed recommend a visit.

The photo Charlie asked about (the Prinz handing something to a soldier) puzzles me. I was irritated, because the 3rd Grenadier Regiment was based far away in Königsberg (1st AK), so what was it doing in the region of 3rd AK? Must have been a large celebration of more than marginal importance. The photo was taken by Selle and Kuntze, famous photography studio in Potsdam 1897 or later. So I think that the royal gift was sth in relation to the celebration.

With regards to the trousers: I noticed it, too. I also have a photo like it. I thought that maybe they folded the legs over? But it may really be two pair...

GreyC

Edited by GreyC

On 19/02/2020 at 06:34, themonsstar said:

IMG_20200131_130033092.jpg

Interesting to see the Gewehr 88/05 (M1888 Kommissions Rifle) in use in this parade shot. This weapon had been superseded to a degree by the Gewehr 98 as the premier Infantry rifle at this time. Presumably the Gewehr 88 was retained by this Garde regiment to allow the use of the more distinguished looking Seitengewehr 71 (M1871 Bayonet) with its nicely polished brass grips. Just to add a little extra parade ground flair.!

Cheers, SS

• 2 weeks later...

Couple from the militaria fair the other week.

1st card Leather shoulder straps reminds me of what you would carry machine gun with.

2nd card not sure what the black patch on the left arm means but there is a close up

3rd card NCO of the 133 Regt  with his wound badge.

IMG_20200219_080028717.jpg

IMG_20200219_075557675.jpg

IMG_20200219_075603974.jpg

IMG_20200219_075657114.jpg

IMG_20200219_075452680.jpg

Edited by themonsstar

Hello!

2nd card (oval upper arm patches)

The card is written from III.Platoon, Telegraph-Detachment of XVIII.Res.Corps.

That unit was set-up by Telegraphen-Bataillon N°4 (note the 4 upon the shoulder strap).

The arm patches are not black, but grey. There must be an F 18 on it (Fernsprech-Abteilung XVIII Reserve Korps).

Probably the light was not so good while taking the photo...

Here is an example of exactly that unit. Soldiers with F18 visit a grave of a fallen comrade.

Fernsprech-Abt. 18.Res.Korps (Abzeichen, Grab).JPG

Fernsprech-Abt. 18.Res.Korps (Abzeichen, Grab).JPG

Edited by The Prussian

Great photographs - and great reply and ID Andy!

8 hours ago, themonsstar said:

Some more pics

IMG_20200219_075406874.jpg

IMG_20200219_075417952.jpg

Interesting to see those collar badges and the date - and he has a 98/05 bayonet in a steel scabbard!

He is from Bavarian Landsturm, to be more precise:

II B.7 – bayerisches (1.bayerisches) Landsturm-Infanterie-Bataillon Würzburg

GreyC

By 1917, Waffenfabrik Mauser were shipping S.98/05 and Gew.98 over to Ottoman Turkey as per an agreement made in 1916, as they were 'surplus to requirements', i.e., effectively all branches of the Heer were by 1917, when the photograph was taken, provided with Gew.98.  

• 3 weeks later...