Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

German Uniform Photos

4thGordons

2 minutes ago, trajan said:

Touche! But wern't those units in the 22 Inf.Div? This card says 202... I can't find my History of XXX German divisions...

You are quite right, it must be my eyes again. If that is the case the IR 408, 411 or 412.

15 minutes ago, charlie2 said:

You are quite right, it must be my eyes again. If that is the case the IR 408, 411 or 412.

I have the same problem and also have become something of a dyslexic typist...

If anything can be drawn from the casualty lists they are probably IR 411. Fritz Fiege, Albert Winter and Heinrich Tolle, all of No 4 Coy,

came either from Adelebsen or Lasfelde, which is the area in which the photos came from.

On the named photo written above each man is  Korp IV, II, III etc which I take to mean Korporalschaft IV etc, so possibly new recruits.

Russian pows with German guards

s-l1600 (15).jpg

I could have sworn I added something about the expression and the age of that young chap in the centre, but it seems to have gone!

Anyway. my turn now! A great photograph of Herr W.Zimmer, with the Feld-Art Regiment 102, dated 25/07/1916, to his darling 'love', Frieda! I assume wife, as she is 'Frau', even if he signs himself 'pappa'. If only all of these cards had such clear writing!

scan0020 gwf.jpg

scan0021 gwf.jpg

scan0021gwf a.jpg

Hi Julian,

he signs as "Pappa" as he not only writes to his wife Frieda but also to at least one child.

"Meine Lieben" is plural as is "Euer lieber Pappa" Pappa was- if it is of interest- a construction worker during peace-time.

GreyC

Edited by GreyC

Thanks GreyC - should have spotted that Lieben indeed, not Liebe, given the clarity of the script! ... But shouln't it be Meinen and not Meine?  Shows you just how badly I leant my German on those excavations at Hitzacker and at Soltau, and when working in Hannover! And despite the clear script, I never would have got the Eure at the end! 

Meanwhile , reading of In Stahlgewittern and Erinnrungsblatt goes along slowly... But interesting to see what is in some versions of the text (English or German) and not in others. Oh for more years!

And the penultimate Ankara find. He is with the Ersatz Batt. of a regiment entitled to litzen and I think from his epaullettes and the abbreviated 'Absender' it is the Kaiser Alexander Garde Grenadier-Regiment 1... But I am happy to be corrected! 

Trajan

scan0022.jpg

scan0023.jpg

Does this make it any easier to read? Looks like it simply says '1 Komp.'?

scan0023a.jpg

Edited by trajan

1.Komp, 1. Ersatz Batl, Breslau

33 minutes ago, trajan said:

Does this make it any easier to read? Looks like it simply says '1 Komp.'?

scan0023a.jpg

27 minutes ago, charlie2 said:

1.Komp, 1. Ersatz Batl, Breslau

I had got the Ersatz Batt bit (and Breslau also) - see 1483 -  but why no regiment name before the Komp? Was Breslau the home of the Garde-Gren.Regiment 1 and so not needed?

4 minutes ago, trajan said:

I had got the Ersatz Batt bit (and Breslau also) - see 1483 -  but why no regiment name before the Komp? Was Breslau the home of the Garde-Gren.Regiment 1 and so not needed?

Grenadier-Regiment 11?

1 minute ago, AOK4 said:

Grenadier-Regiment 11?

Could be - were they at Breslau?

11 minutes ago, trajan said:

Could be - were they at Breslau?

The 1st Ersatz Bataillon was. I just noticed the monogram on the shoulder boards, but I can't see it clearly enough to know which unit it may be.

5 minutes ago, AOK4 said:

The 1st Ersatz Bataillon was. I just noticed the monogram on the shoulder boards, but I can't see it clearly enough to know which unit it may be.

I was working from the shoulder boards - certainly a regiment with a number below the monogram and a crown above, but that's a fair few! If Grenadier-Regiment König Friedrich III
(2.Schlesisches) Nr.11 then there should be a 'III'.

Do the old style litzen say anything?

I guess the key clue is the Breslau connection - whoever had an Ersatz bat. there in 1916!

Hi,

without a larger scan of the Schulterklappe it´s hard to say, but I go with Gren.R.11. Litzen match. Kaiser Alexander Garde Grenadier-Regiment 1, as you suggested, is unlikely as both the regiment and the Ersatz-Bataillon were stationed at Berlin.

GreyC

On 19/02/2019 at 21:40, GreyC said:

Hi,

without a larger scan of the Schulterklappe it´s hard to say, but I go with Gren.R.11. Litzen match. Kaiser Alexander Garde Grenadier-Regiment 1, as you suggested, is unlikely as both the regiment and the Ersatz-Bataillon were stationed at Berlin.

GreyC

Many thanks GreyC and AOK4 also! I should have followed up the Breslau postmark on this one (sounds from Ankara of one hand slapping the other wrist and of head banging against the wall!).

Now, for your and everyone else's enjoyment, the last of these Ankara cards. Unfortunately a 'cabinet' one and so nothing except what you have here. Ketzin an der /das / die A*** - I think I am right to assume Ketzin in Brandenburg? Really annoying to have such a clear epaullette view and I cannot identify it from my (admitedly limited) resouces... Any ideas?

scan0024.jpg

21 minutes ago, GreyC said:

Hi Julian. Nice one. Eisenbahnbataillion Nr. 1. It´s Ketzin a. H. =Ketzin an der Havel. =Brandenburg

GreyC

Heck, quick work there my friend! I had thought Eisenbahn as nothing in the Gardes or Grenadier matched, but I couldn't find an exact march in my Eisenbahn references... Thanks! I'll do his troddel later...

Edited by trajan

Men of Flieger-Ersatz-Abteilungen 5. Could anyone tell me what the month is? Also, am I going crazy or do some of the men (about 9 of them) seem to be wearing Russian uniforms?

Scan0139t.jpg

Scan0137.jpg

Just now, charlie2 said:

The month is October.

Thanks Charlie.

On 23/02/2019 at 13:01, GreyC said:

I would say Bulgarians, but they were already out of it by 29th September. Maybe they were intent on fighting on with the Germans?

GreyC

Yes, I agree.