Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

German Uniform Photos

4thGordons

1 hour ago, Jools mckenna said:

German soldiers at rest, maybe 1916.

Scan0062.jpg

Steel helmets - three or more. Don't look to be 'square dips', but rarity of helmets here and numbers of pickles suggests summer or later 1916?

19 hours ago, GreyC said:

Ah,

yes, it is a Schießauszeichnung/Schützenschnur. Which grade cannot be determined, seems to be a lower one, though.

GreyC

You are right. I was not sure how far back that originated, but started a few hundred years ago.

I am looking at that troddel. Does it look like a prussian version? Baden used the prussian version of the belt buckle. Would they have also used a prussian troddel? Have their own, or use some other state?

800px-PreussenSchuetzenschnurStufen.jpg

Screenshot_20190107-150437_Chrome.jpg

wk1-unteroffiziers-troddel-preussen-portepee (1).jpg

9 hours ago, BKK said:

You are right. I was not sure how far back that originated, but started a few hundred years ago.

Hi BKK,

if you mean Schießauszeichnungen in general, yes. If you mean Schützenschnur in the Prussian army (and other German armies), no.

The Schützenschnur was introduced in 1894. Before that, from 1850 on, Schießauszeichnungen were worn as more or less thin stripes on the cuffs, parallel to the rim of the sleeves, first in three grades, from 1868 in eight, still later in twelve. An example is shown on my photo of Brandenburg-cuffs on p55, #1375 in this thread. For your convenience here is a photo of a rare 10th grade award, albeit Bavarian which did not differ much.

"I am looking at that troddel. Does it look like a prussian version? Baden used the prussian version of the belt buckle. Would they have also used a prussian troddel? Have their own, or use some other state?"

Sorry, don´t know, but think it to be plausible,

GreyC

xSchiessauszeichnung12HochklGrey.jpg.3ae68219dbcb20dbc753a04621c948dd.jpg

Edited by GreyC

17 hours ago, GreyC said:

Hi BKK,

if you mean Schießauszeichnungen in general, yes. If you mean Schützenschnur in the Prussian army (and other German armies), no.

The Schützenschnur was introduced in 1894. Before that, from 1850 on, Schießauszeichnungen were worn as more or less thin stripes on the cuffs, parallel to the rim of the sleeves, first in three grades, from 1868 in eight, still later in twelve. An example is shown on my photo of Brandenburg-cuffs on p55, #1375 in this thread. For your convenience here is a photo of a rare 10th grade award, albeit Bavarian which did not differ much.

"I am looking at that troddel. Does it look like a prussian version? Baden used the prussian version of the belt buckle. Would they have also used a prussian troddel? Have their own, or use some other state?"

Sorry, don´t know, but think it to be plausible,

GreyC

xSchiessauszeichnung12HochklGrey.jpg.3ae68219dbcb20dbc753a04621c948dd.jpg

Thank for you for your explanations and help! Here is a picture of soldiers wearing them.

Schutz.PNG

Edited by BKK

Menin Road, near Hooge, early  1916

shelter for telephone section of artillery unit

001.jpg

002.jpg

Königl. Preuss. Fernspech Abteilung 'H' (Haber)

attached to Pionier Bat. 35 (Gaspioniere)

011.jpg

I like the last two. The last one is not from the 223 Kompanie but from the 223rd Sanitäts-Kompanie. What you see are guys from that unit working at a desinfection-station.

GreyC

21 hours ago, Cnock said:

NCO's Lehr Infantry Rgt, 1917

015.jpg

Has to be after 3 March 1918, there is one silver and three black wound badges there.

With the very heavy snow currently hitting central Europe, may be this chap is wearing the perfect clothing for the weather!

Sepoy

IMG_0043.jpg

4 hours ago, trajan said:

Has to be after 3 March 1918, there is one silver and three black wound badges there.

yes my error, was hidden in a batch of photos 1917!

German Prisoners of War in French captivity? Deducing that from the P.G. on the guy on the right "Prisonnier de Guerre".

Other than that I have no idea.

When did "blind closing" (sorry, don't know the correct English word for that. It's "no buttons showing")  come into fashion in German war-time clothing?

A variety of cockades on showIMG_20140705_0001.jpg.76bf494876ca5c56780a82ebfee1a958.jpg

IMG_20140705_0001a.jpg.abe4ccb54be74de73a3aa5ec7ddd70fc.jpgIMG_20140705_0001b.jpg.ff64af9d7494a7d9608ce4a5b475e283.jpgIMG_20140705_0001c.jpg.e63e76c06d78911bd988a16061760322.jpg

Hi JWK,

it´s called "verdeckte Knopfleiste" in German ;-)

Kokarden: right Saxon, Bavarian. Middele: several cndidates. Among them Württemberg, Oldenburg, Braunschweig, Lippe.

GreyC

Edited by GreyC