Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

German Uniform Photos

4thGordons

It´s from the Ehrenrangliste (Ranklist of honour).

Before the war he was Lt. in that regiment and he was Leutnant der Reserve at the end of war.

3 minutes ago, The Prussian said:

It´s from the Ehrenrangliste (Ranklist of honour).

Before the war he was Lt. in that regiment and he was Leutnant der Reserve at the end of war.

Thanks, Prussian. Most likely my man then as the uniform matches. 

Black cap band. Guard Litzen. Could fit to Eisenbahn!

41 minutes ago, Jools mckenna said:

His name is Overleaf Boskamp? What a strange name. 

Overleaf means "on the other side".

Just now, AOK4 said:

Overleaf means "on the other side".

I realise that now. Sorry for being daft but I've never really heard of that expression. 

Not postcard related but definitely uniform related. Just bought this Shoulder board from IR24.

436018485_WP_20190320_16_30_32_Pro(2).jpg.26d011b1c2f8257560b276429e11a327.jpg

A couple of new finds. No information recorded on the second card.

Scan_20181223 (8).jpg

Scan_20181223 (7).jpg

Scan_20181223 (6).jpg

Kgl Military hospital. 

Scan0179.jpg

Scan0184bb.jpg

Hi,

it´s not a military hospital. It´s a Reservelazarett, i.e. a temporary hospital that previously could have served many different purposes (schools, hotels, hospitals, university buildings).

GreyC

1 hour ago, GreyC said:

Hi,

it´s not a military hospital. It´s a Reservelazarett, i.e. a temporary hospital that previously could have served many different purposes (schools, hotels, hospitals, university buildings).

GreyC

Ok, thanks

Would love to know what is written on this one.

0144_001 - Copy (2).jpg

0144_002.jpg

Edited by clarke

On 23/03/2019 at 18:37, Jools mckenna said:

Kgl Military hospital. 

Scan0179.jpg

Don't you just wish you could magic those guys out from the way of that sign...

1 hour ago, clarke said:

Would love to know what is written on this one.

0144_001 - Copy (2).jpg

0144_002.jpg

Can't do the scrawl, but the caption is "A German hero's' grave: the brave soldier, who was the first to raise the German flag in Luttich, was hit by an enemy bullet and died a Hero's death" - GreyC, Andy, I have never quite understood the difference between Helf and tapfere...

The photograph is noteworthy in the sense that there are three S.71 bayonets to be seen there - and so a second line or reserve unit.

Dear All,

No doubt some eagle-eyed GWF member can discern the Fliegergeneral's signature and appointment.

Oddly, he seems1851586170_Fliegergeneral1913-14.jpg.fdd6a9e9e466422f08351792020e59b6.jpg to have been sporting a lowly Air Gunner's badge. His numerous decorations would tend to have been accumulated by, say, 1918.

Be that as it may, his well-mounted EKII group is of interest - as are the Orders and so on...

Kindest regards,

Kim. 

Thanks Trajan, hand writing does look difficult to work out, I appreciate the information.

Edited by clarke

On 25/03/2019 at 12:46, trajan said:

GreyC, Andy, I have never quite understood the difference between Helf and tapfere...

Hello Julian!

You mean the difference between Held and tapfer?

Well,

German grammar lesson (listen and repeat): Held is the german substantive for "hero". Tapfer is the german adjective for "brave". You could put both words together as "He is a brave hero" (Er ist ein tapferer Held)

The nominative of "tapfer" is "Tapferkeit (bravery). The adjective of "Held" is "heldenhaft" (heroic or heroically).

German grammar lesson finished. :D

Edited by The Prussian

2 hours ago, clarke said:

A nice early war photo.

0156_001 (1).jpg

Hello Clarke!

In Hildesheim was Inf.Rgt.79. Because he has the old ammo-pouches, I assume he could be from 1st Ersatz-Bataillon/Inf.Rgt.79. His Troddel has a white "middle-part" for a first bataillon. The 2nd Ers.Bataillon (which existed too) would have had a red middle-part. His shoulder-straps have white pipings for X.AK (tenth army corps), where Hildesheim belonged to.

In Hildesheim also were formed Landwehr-Inf.Rgt.74 and parts of Reserve-Inf.Rgt. 77. Can you recognize the number upon the shoulder-strap?

Edited by The Prussian

7 hours ago, Kimberley John Lindsay said:

1851586170_Fliegergeneral1913-14.jpg.fdd6a9e9e466422f08351792020e59b6.jpg 

What a great photograph! Perhaps a 'Gallipoli Star' on the right? Can't think of a German decoration that would be worn there.

5 hours ago, GreyC said:

the first German commander of the airforce (planes), Walter von Eberhardt (Idflieg=Inspekteur der Fliegertruppen=Commander of planes, not airships). For those with German reading skills:

https://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Walter_von_Eberhardt

GreyC

Well done GreyC! A quick glance at the Wiki entry didn't show anything for Turkey there to possibly result in a "Gallipoli Star" - do you have anything?

Trajan

1 hour ago, The Prussian said:

Thanks Andy,

Must get a bigger screen or keyboard as 'd' and 't' too close together on this one. And many thanks for the German lesson!:thumbsup:

Julian

1 hour ago, The Prussian said:

Hello Clarke!

In Hildesheim was Inf.Rgt.79. Because he has the old ammo-pouches, I assume he could be from 1st Ersatz-Bataillon/Inf.Rgt.79. His Troddel has a white "middle-part" for a first bataillon. The 2nd Ers.Bataillon (which existed too) would have had a red middle-part. His shoulder-straps have white pipings for X.AK (tenth army corps), where Hildesheim belonged to.

In Hildesheim also were formed Landwehr-Inf.Rgt.74 and parts of Reserve-Inf.Rgt. 77. Can you recognize the number upon the shoulder-strap?

Hi Mate 

Thanks again for such valuable information, without it what light I could put on the illustration is very limited indeed. When enlarging the photo it looks like 77 or 79, I'll try enlarging it again later when at home. Thanks again Clarke

0156_001 (1) - Copy.jpg

Edited by clarke

2 hours ago, trajan said:

What a great photograph! Perhaps a 'Gallipoli Star' on the right? Can't think of a German decoration that would be worn there. ... A quick glance at the Wiki entry didn't show anything for Turkey there to possibly result in a "Gallipoli Star" 

8 minutes ago, GreyC said:

Thanks, and: no, unfortunately not.

I enlarged it and there are two points / finials at the top one visible on the side, and so its not a Galipoli Star. Perhaps a cross with finials at the end of each arm - something like a cross patonce?