Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

German Uniform Photos

4thGordons

Soldier of IR 133 from 1915 which was tucked inside a German ww1 french phrase book. Also, repair and colourisation which I did (not very good I know) 

Scan0144.jpg

WP_20190226_23_34_53_Pro (2).jpg

WP_20190226_23_35_11_Pro (4).jpg

Edited by Jools mckenna

Any guesses to what kind of unit this man belonged to? Nothing is written on the back. If I had to guess I would say Flieger as I've seen very similar caps being worn by them but I'm probably being hopeful. 

Scan0151.jpg

51 minutes ago, Jools mckenna said:

Any guesses to what kind of unit this man belonged to? Nothing is written on the back. If I had to guess I would say Flieger as I've seen very similar caps being worn by them but I'm probably being hopeful. 

Scan0151.jpg

Size of lower cockade suggests to me a Bavarian, but beyond that...??? Did aviators have fancy coats like this? Seems possible!

12 minutes ago, trajan said:

Size of lower cockade suggests to me a Bavarian, but beyond that...??? Did aviators have fancy coats like this? Seems possible!

I believe the fur is separate to the jacket/tunic/coat. as you can see the epaulette and part of the collar. 

Edited by Jools mckenna

1 minute ago, Jools mckenna said:

I believe the fur is separate to the jacket/tunic. as you can see the epaulette and part of the collar. 

Andi and GreyC know much more about these coats than I so perhaps they'll be here soon. It is a bu**er the fur covers that shoulder tab... Does he have a medal at his throat? Or is that the coat fastener?

2 minutes ago, trajan said:

Andi and GreyC know much more about these coats than I so perhaps they'll be here soon. It is a bu**er the fur covers that shoulder tab... Does he have a medal at his throat? Or is that the coat fastener?

I don't think it's a medal. 

1 hour ago, Jools mckenna said:

I don't think it's a medal. 

It has the look of one of those veteran organisation badges that had double ribbons at the bottom. Or could be my imagination...

1 minute ago, depaor01 said:

It has the look of one of those veteran organisation badges that had double ribbons at the bottom. Or could be my imagination...

Could you point out were you see this please?

18 minutes ago, Jools mckenna said:

Could you point out were you see this please?

Pale spot under his chin protruding from the fur...

2 minutes ago, depaor01 said:

Pale spot under his chin protruding from the fur...

Sorry, I still don't see it. Only thing I can see is buttons.

Hello!

To me it´s a fur-collar, which was worn over the coat.They were worn since 1914 without any regulations. The first official fur-collar came in september 1918.

There were different furs worn by Kraftfahrer. Coats and fur-collars

Kraftfahr-Btl. (Wintermantel).JPG

unbekannt (Kraftfahrer, Wintermantel).JPG

Edited by The Prussian

• 2 weeks later...

Hi All

Have recently picked up a number of new postcards/ photos, hoping to upload over next number of weeks. I find them fascinating but my knowledge is not great. Wondering if someone could tell me about the ribbon on the seated guys chest. No writing on reverse.

0143_004 - Copy.jpg

Thought I might upload one more whilst I have the time. Reverse has details.

0144_003.jpg

0144_004 (1).jpg

0144_004 (2) - Copy.jpg

2 hours ago, clarke said:

Hi All

Have recently picked up a number of new postcards/ photos, hoping to upload over next number of weeks. I find them fascinating but my knowledge is not great. Wondering if someone could tell me about the ribbon on the seated guys chest. No writing on reverse.

0143_004 - Copy.jpg

I thought that it might be a commemorative campaign or unit bade of some kind but those were usually worn on the hat or collar, I think!

Hi,

above photo very probably taken on Eastern front. Soldiers are not infantry. The seated soldier wears EKII in button hole and very probable an Austrian award on chest. Saxon might be possible, but unlikely.

GreyC

The sender of the group photo is the nephew of the addressees by the name of Christian Drula. His unit seems to be one of the folloeing IR 99, LIR 99 or RIR 99 all of which originated in Elsace.

GreyC

Thanks Trajan & GreyC 

I have blown up the ribbon on the seated guy, thought it might be a merit ribbon, but like I said my knowledge is quite limited. Is there a way to work out the role of the larger group photo, artillery, medical, transport?

Thanks again Clarke

0143_004 - Copy.jpg

Another small group photo, shoulder strap enlarged, no writing on reverse. 

0147_001 - Copy.jpg

0147_001 - Copy - Copy.jpg

4 hours ago, clarke said:

I have blown up the ribbon on the seated guy, thought it might be a merit ribbon, but like I said my knowledge is quite limited. 

0143_004 - Copy.jpg

Ahhh, much better! Typical A-H medal ribbon form - but which one! For a second I thought the Militärdienstzeichen für Unteroffiziere und Mannschaften but he is a German not an Austrian-Hungarian. And I don't know what A-H medals a German soldier might qualify for. Sorry!

Julian

15 hours ago, GreyC said:

The sender of the group photo is the nephew of the addressees by the name of Christian Drula. His unit seems to be one of the folloeing IR 99, LIR 99 or RIR 99 all of which originated in Elsace.

GreyC

Well done on post 1515! I could just about read the 'neffe' and that was it!

Not seen a card with the unit abbreviated that way before - "12[Kompagnie]/[*** Regiment] 99" - but there again I have not seen that many postcards anyway! Is it common?

Julian

I've just noticed my mistake, thanks again for the information on these photos. Does LIR mean Landwehr Infantry Unit

58 minutes ago, clarke said:

Does LIR mean Landwehr Infantry Unit

I believe it means Landwehr infantry regiment.

On ‎14‎/‎03‎/‎2019 at 08:48, clarke said:

0143_004 - Copy.jpg

22 hours ago, GreyC said:

Saxon might be possible, but unlikely.

I personally see 2 buttons which is normally the cuff type for artillery(unless I'm missing something).

button.jpg

Edited by Jools mckenna