Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

German Uniform Photos

4thGordons

1 minute ago, GreyC said:

The cuffs are called "Swedish" worn in the German army by a small part of Infanterie, der Garde zu Fuß, Pioniere, Jäger, Feldartillerie, Dragoner, Kürassiere and Jäger zu Pferde.

They might be Saxon because the Saxons had medals with triangular shaped ribbons. But as I said unlikely. More plausible Prussians with Austrian medal.

GreyC

I thought I must of missed something.

2 hours ago, GreyC said:

... the Saxons had medals with triangular shaped ribbons. ...

Thanks GreyC - that is news to me!

Officers on a patio. (wearing the Swedish cuff, no less.) The man in the centre is wearing a litewka tunic.

Scan0114.jpg

Edited by Jools mckenna

Flieger portrait. Also came with this(this also came with the group FEA V photo.)

Scan0136 p.jpg

Scan0136 g.jpg

Scan0141.jpg

Scan0154.jpg

55 minutes ago, GreyC said:

The right sign says Beer for cash ony.

GreyC

Perhaps thats why he hasn‘t many customers :)

Does look like a sober event.

Edited by clarke

On 15/03/2019 at 23:24, GreyC said:

The cuffs are called "Swedish" worn in the German army by a small part of Infanterie, der Garde zu Fuß, Pioniere, Jäger, Feldartillerie, Dragoner, Kürassiere and Jäger zu Pferde.

They might be Saxon because the Saxons had medals with triangular shaped ribbons. But as I said unlikely. More plausible Prussians with Austrian medal.

GreyC

Would I be right in assuming the above is from one of these units?

Hello all!

#1526: Bright cap-band and swedish cuffs. Either it´s a camo-cap-band (worn over the coloured cap-band) or it´s a cavalry unit. Artillery had a black cap-band. If it´s a coloured cap-band, it will be a dragoon. Note the leather on the trousers (cavalry!). Which bright colour could it be?

Gren.Rgt. zu Pferd (mounted grenadiers) Nr. 3: pink (Prussia)

Drag.Rgt. 7: pink (Prussia)

Drag.Rgt. 9: white (Prussia)

Drag.Rgt. 10: white (Prussia)

Drag.Rgt. 15: pink (Prussia)

Drag.Rgt. 24: white (Hesse)

Those triangle medal-bands were worn by austrian, saxon and württemberg troops.

Austria mostly had red ribbons. I think here we see yellow with coloured stripes..

Saxony: Friedrich-August Medal (war ribbon): https://www.ehrenzeichen-orden.de/deutsche-staaten/friedrich-august-medaille-in-silber-1905.html

Württemberg: Siver military merit medal: https://www.ehrenzeichen-orden.de/deutsche-staaten/silberne-militar-verdienst-medaille-1892.html

Of course, the soldier could have awarded the medal by Saxony or Württemberg, if his unit fought in common with them.

But Austria is possible too:

https://www.emedals.com/austria-kingdom-a-lot-of-fifteen-medal-ribbons

#1530: The differences between a "Litewka" and a "Kleiner Rock" are:

a) the pockets. A Litewka had horizontal, a Kleiner Rock had diagonal pockets

b) the collar patches. On Litewkas were the coloured patches of the army-corps, on Kleiner Rock the colour of the branch

#1532: Prussian aviators had those shoulder-straps with a number and a single Litze. Shoulder-straps without a number and double Litze like on this photo were worn by bavarain soldiers

#1533: To detremine the unit we need the latin number beneath the 15

#1538: dark swedish cuffs. If back it could be field-artillery, if red, it could be a dragoon. The cap-band is black or red?

Edited by The Prussian

13 hours ago, Jools mckenna said:

Scan0154.jpg

13 hours ago, GreyC said:

The right sign says Beer for cash only.

GreyC

9 hours ago, GreyC said:

The only customer is a Landsturm guy.

GreyC

What a great photograph, though!

Jools - any chance of a better view of his collar numbers? If not, GreyC, they look to be a Corps over a battallion. Weren't these early rather than late war?

4 hours ago, The Prussian said:

Hello all! ... 

#1530: The differences between a "Litewka" and a "Kleiner Rock" are:

a) the pockets. A Litewka had horizontal, a Kleiner Rock had diagonal pockets

b) the collar patches. On Litewkas were the coloured patches of the army-corps, on Kleiner Rock the colour of the branch

That's a great reply Andy - I was always uncertain on the difference between a Litewka and a 'kleiner Rock', plus the other information you provide also very helpful...

Julian

I think I can read a 23 or 73 on the epaulette. 

0144_003 - Copy.jpg

0144_004 (2).jpg

0144_003 - Copy - Copy (2).jpg

Edited by clarke

1 hour ago, clarke said:

0144_004 (2).jpg

RIR 79?

Thanks Jools mckenna, had another look, definately 79, eyes aren't quite what they use to be.

Hello!

Definately 79.  The 7th comp. was with its II.Btl. under command of the Insel-Kommandantur Borkum (Commandant´s office of the Isle Borkum) from August 8, 1914 until November 3, 1916

11 hours ago, trajan said:

They look to be a Corps over a battalion. Weren't these early rather than late war?

Its 'XIX' over '15'. I thought that the 15 was the regiment and XIX(19) was the armee corps.

Edited by Jools mckenna

11 hours ago, trajan said:

Jools - any chance of a better view of his collar numbers? If not, GreyC, they look to be a Corps over a battallion. Weren't these early rather than late war?

It's dated 1916. 

Scan0171.jpg

10 minutes ago, Jools mckenna said:

Its 'XIX' over '15'. I thought that the 15 was the regiment and XIX(19) was the armee corps.

Hello!

The XIX is the army corps. Right. The 15 is the 15th Landsturm-Bataillon of that corps.

In this case: Saxon Landsturm-Inf.Btl. Glauchau (XIX.15). During the war it belonged to General-Gouvernement Belgium and from October 1, 1918 until January 3, 1919 to the 1st Army

Edited by The Prussian

So this may be 6th army corps 28th Bn. When where these badges worn? The back is dated late 1915.

0143_004 - Copy.jpg

0143_004 - Copy - Copy (2).jpg

Edited by clarke