Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

German Uniform Photos

4thGordons

Some sort of parade.

Scan0103.jpg

Infantry, nearly all of them decorated with the iron cross and one of them is a medic. Does anyone know what the far right man is wearing?

Scan0108.jpg

Scan0108 (2)_LI.jpg

I'm about to list this card up on ebay, but whilst checking it to come up with a suitable description as to what regiment etc. I saw this guy:

IMG_20190124_0003.jpg.d13d9005a72c2847db914c3c8438ba33.jpg

IMG_20190124_0003a.jpg.be3cea05766b25d4da54d078a0bf85d0.jpg

His shouldertitles (as do the ones of the two guys in the middle) seems to read "55" which would make him a soldier of the Reserve-Infanterie-Regiment 55 of Soest/Paderborn, which is Prussia.

But why does he have a what appears to be a Hanseatic cocarde on his hat?

Or am I completely mistaken and it's a Red Cross cocarde (did they even exist, I wonder)?

Or was there some sort of cocarde-swapping going on (Like Olympic pins at the Olympics)

12 minutes ago, GreyC said:

It´s not RIR 55 it´s LIR 55 hence the cockade of the Landwehr.

GreyC

Man wird alt wie eine Kuh und lernt immer noch was dazu!

Didn't know the Landwehr also had their own cockades! I learn something new every day. Thanks!

No problem. The difficulty at times is to distinguish between Landwehr- and Landsturmkreuz as Kokarde. Whereas LIR had it in silver, Landsturm-Kreuz was golden. Not to be confused with the Landsturm-Kreuz atached to the Wachsmützen (wax-caps), which was not integrated in a circular cockade and much bigger.

GreyC

On 23/01/2019 at 18:32, Jools mckenna said:

Some sort of parade.

Scan0103.jpg

Looks like the Regimental Band is giving a recital somewhere in Eastern Europe.

5 hours ago, Jools mckenna said:

Infantry, nearly all of them decorated with the iron cross and one of them is a medic. Does anyone know what the far right man is wearing?

That photo was printed mirror-inverted. Note the way the EKII´s are the wrong way round as well as the way the jackets are buttoned.

GreyC

Some Jolly Bavarians. Perhaps at a Pub?

Scan0105.jpg

Edited by Jools mckenna

A quite nice close-up of a Prussian soldier. 

Scan0106.jpg

Men of the Kgl. Bayer. 11. Infanterie-Regiment 

Scan0107.jpg

Men standing outside of a dugout.

Scan0109.jpg

Edited by Jools mckenna

Men of 6th Artillery munitions column for the 7th Armee Korps.

Scan0122.jpg

Hi All

Have attached a photo/ postcard that I recently bought. Not really in my knowledge area, but some good detail.

Cheers Clarke

0132_001.jpg

Anzac - Copy.jpg

1 hour ago, clarke said:

Hi All

Have attached a photo/ postcard that I recently bought. Not really in my knowledge area, but some good detail.

Cheers Clarke

They are men of the Kgl. Bayer. 5. Infanterie-Regiment Großherzog Ernst Ludwig von Hessen(I think)

A big group photo of Early war German troops.

Scan0110.jpg

2 hours ago, clarke said:

Hi All

Cheers Clarke

0132_001.jpg

Anzac - Copy.jpg

@Jools mckenna

Sent by Peter Lorenz, 2 Bayerische Armeekorps, 4 Division, Reserve Infanterie Regiment 5, 8th Comp., 2 Battaljon

http://genwiki.genealogy.net/KB_RIR_5

Very best greetings to you all from your son and brother Peter. A souvenir in case we never see eachother again.

"Die Augen fern, dem Herzen ewig nah"  (Far from sight, forever close to my heart)

And this is most probably the same Peter Lorenz on the Verlustliste of 4th August 1916:

962806707_aalorenz.jpg.f9a6cb3141b3933a5df85df44a54cff6.jpg

Edited by JWK

1 hour ago, JWK said:

@Jools mckenna

Sent by Peter Lorenz, 2 Bayerische Armeekorps, 4 Division, Reserve Infanterie Regiment 5, 8th Comp., 2 Battaljon

At least I was close.

Edited by Jools mckenna

7 hours ago, clarke said:

Hi All

Cheers Clarke

0132_001.jpg

Anzac - Copy.jpg

Excellent detail, especially nice to see the bootstraps of the chap on the right with the armband in a photo 

Thanks for the information. A photo with a sad story by the looks of things. being found in Australia, I have doubts that the photo ever got but to his family. Is there a reason for the armband for the soldier on the right? Thanks again Clarke

3 hours ago, clarke said:

Thanks for the information. A photo with a sad story by the looks of things. being found in Australia, I have doubts that the photo ever got but to his family. Is there a reason for the armband for the soldier on the right? Thanks again Clarke

A mourning band by the look of things.

On 02/02/2019 at 14:31, clarke said:

Hi All

Cheers Clarke

0132_001.jpg

Anzac - Copy.jpg

On 02/02/2019 at 16:00, JWK said:

@Jools mckenna

Very best greetings to you all from your son and brother Peter. A souvenir in case we never see eachother again.

"Die Augen fern, dem Herzen ewig nah"  (Far from sight, forever close to my heart)

And this is most probably the same Peter Lorenz on the Verlustliste of 4th August 1916:

962806707_aalorenz.jpg.f9a6cb3141b3933a5df85df44a54cff6.jpg

18 hours ago, Dave1418 said:

Excellent detail, especially nice to see the bootstraps of the chap on the right with the armband in a photo 

Yes, a great photograph - can even see the muzzle caps on their rifles. Note also, the chap kneeling has a long S.98... So I would suggest pre-mid/late 1915. And those really BIG Bavarian cockades!

Thanks Trajan

It is a clear photo for sure, I also like the added flower in the kneeing soldier jacket-something a little different. 

• 2 weeks later...

As it seems to be "all quiet from the western front", as it were, perhaps a chance to catch up on posting the rest of my Ankara finds!? S-l-o-w-l-y, one at a time leaving a day to comment...

So, these two I find very interesting as it is the first time I have actually seen a duplicate of a group photograph - and with the handwriting of the same person! Yes, from the photographer's point of view group photographs best as less initial outlay with a better chance of greater profit as more sales, so we all knew they existed - but has anyone managed to get two identical group photographs belonging to the same person?

Anyway, men at the 1 Rekruten Depot, Ers.Batt. Inf.Reg. Nr. 152 (Deutsch Ordens-Infanterie-Regiment Nr. 152), the photograph taken by a chap from Bromberg in - 14-19-16??? I don't get that date squence!

EDIT - Oh, I think I see the date now - 14 -12 - 16, as the franking mark is 18-12....

scan0018.jpg

scan0019.jpg

Edited by trajan
As stated, correcting date

4 hours ago, trajan said:

but has anyone managed to get two identical group photographs belonging to the same person?

Only the bottom one has been posted. I‘m happy to be told otherwise but I think they are either IR 408, 411 or 412.

Charlie

D82950BA-D380-44E1-AE5B-36E8C77ED2B8.jpeg

D3DE697C-0A7C-4C57-B8FB-FD3311E7D4A9.jpeg

Edited by charlie2

Touche! But wern't those units in the 22 Inf.Div? This card says 202... I can't find my History of XXX German divisions...