Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

German Uniform Photos

4thGordons

Hi

#1371 is not Ersatz Btl. for RIR 29 but for IR 29.

See sender details on card: NEUWIED.

As this Bataillion was not mobilised after being formed in March 1915 and dissolved in Oct 1916 already it should be a rather rare find.

GreyC

14 minutes ago, GreyC said:

Hi,

no harm meant.

A little "quick guide" to cuffology:

Brandenburg cuffs: Infanterie, Grenadiere, Fußartillerie.

Swedish cuffs: unfortunately also some select units of infantry, Garde z. Fuß, Pioniere, Jäger, Feldartillerie, Train, Flieger, Dragoner, Kürassiere, Jäger z. Pferde.

Polish cuffs: Ulanen, Gendamerie.

Neufchatel or French cuffs: 2nd. Btl. GR 89, Gardeschützenbataillion, 2. Garde MG-Abteilung (that´s all there is)

German cuffs: Saxon troops

Beware: list not complete!

GreyC

Thanks for the brief look into cuffs!

15 minutes ago, GreyC said:

See sender details on card: NEUWIED.

Hi, I'm not sure if I understand what you mean by this sentence.

Hi,

the sender gives the garrison which is Neuwied. Neuwied was the place of the Ersatzbataillon IR 29. Not that of RIR 29. The formation stamp is hard to read. If in doubt, see what the sender says.

Please note: I have added photos from my collection to the cuff-guide to make it more visual.

GreyC

aaaa.jpg

Edited by GreyC

3 minutes ago, GreyC said:

Hi,

the sender gives the Garison which is Neuwied. Neuwied was the place of the Ersatzbataillon IR 29. Not that of RIR 29. The formation stamp is hard to read. If in doubt, see what the sender says.

Please note: I have added photos from my collection to the cuff-guide to make it more visual.

GreyC

OK, thanks for clearing that up. Also, the photos are very useful!

Edited by Jools mckenna

Unknown unit,

Foto taken in France, sent home from Flanders

005.jpg

006.jpg

Saxony

Field Artillerie Rgt nr.77

013(.jpg

Edited by Cnock

Dear Cnock,

A good group German soldiers 1337087380_Capturedbinoculars1.JPG.f70d0b786b0d5177f76caf00e85c49bd.JPGBinoculars_5_small.jpg.2b7cd707cbe6a87308896b6b5bad9dd3.jpgBinoculars_3_small.jpg.14345a1cb0822556e73927115af81983.jpgof varying ages, the majority with the EKII.

The 'Feldglas' is reminiscent of one in my collection...

Kindest regards,

Kim.

Some men from ??Verft Divison II

Scan0066.jpg

15 hours ago, Jools mckenna said:

Either Bavarian or Saxon troops.

Scan0072.jpg

Scan0075.jpg

When I opened my 'Alerts' this morning I thought - OMG! A heck of a lot posted here! We are currently 3 hours ahead of you all in GB, 2 hours ahead of Europe proper, so these things do pile up at my end. Somebody is bound to have commented on this before (i.e., below), but bear with me as I work my way through please from this one.

Just to add, really, that they all have nice muzzle-caps on their rifles! With four musicians, and Saxon cuffs... And a "femme fatale"? Lots of leaves on the ground, and 'Old bones' - reservists called up after August 1914? 

Werft-Division based in Wilhelmshaven.

"Jede Werftdivision zerfällt in 5 Kompanien, welche die Schiffe mit Maschinisten und Handwerkerpersonal versehen und die Werften mit Arbeitskräften unterstützen sollen"

GreyC

Edited by GreyC

4 minutes ago, GreyC said:

Werft-Division

GreyC

Ok, but some reason it looks like some letters are ahead of the W. Maybe 'II Werft Division II' but that doesn't seem right.

Edited by Jools mckenna

14 hours ago, GreyC said:

... A little "quick guide" to cuffology: ... Beware: list not complete!

Thanks GreyC - French cuffs a new one for me... But the list is incomplete???? :o

German soldiers at rest, maybe 1916.

Scan0062.jpg

I have a photograph of an unidentified relative. Looking for some of you experts to perhaps provide any more information on Rank (Unterofficier?), era uniform, what that Cord/Fourrage represents (Marksmanship Award?), Cord on Bayonet. Unfortunately no unit markings are able to be seen. Family comes from Baden, and Prussia, but suspect this is Baden relative.

Thank you!

49422446_224090471842464_7762324768069517312_n.jpg

20 minutes ago, Jools mckenna said:

k, but some reason it looks like some letters are ahead of the W. Maybe 'II Werft Division II' but that doesn't seem right.

Edited 14 minutes ago by Jools mckenna

But it is. So you knew who you were dealing with, although you only saw it from one side.

GreyC

Edited by GreyC

21 minutes ago, trajan said:

But the list is incomplete????

Hi Julian,

did not include all the specific troops that might have also worn the cuffs in question, only those you are most likely to come across.

Husaren, by the way, did not wear cuffs.

GreyC

Edited by GreyC

2 hours ago, Cnock said:

012.jpg

013.jpg

I am VERY rusty on uniforms, but while ready to be shot down in flames - I'll make a guess! Grenadier-Regiment König Friedrich Wilhelm I (2.Ostpreußisches) Nr.3 OR Grenadier-Regiment König Friedrich I (4.Ostpreußisches) Nr.5

30 minutes ago, BKK said:

Unfortunately no unit markings are able to be seen. Family comes from Baden, and Prussia, but suspect this is Baden relative.

Hi,

seems to be an Unteroffizier (with respective Uffz- Tresse on collar and cuff) of an infantry unit. Unfortunately the state cockade is blocked from view. The Troddel is a typical Uffz. Troddel. No hints on the back?

GreyC

Edited by GreyC

2 minutes ago, GreyC said:

Hi,

seems to be an Unteroffizier (with respective Uffz- Tresse on collar and cuff) of an infantry unit. Unfortunately the state cockade is blocked from view. The Troddel is a typical Uffz. Troddel. No hints on the back?

GreyC

Thank you, Nothing on back of the photo unfortunately. Any idea of what the Fourrage type cord is for? 

Dear All,

Posr # 1390 interestingly shows one single German Steel helmet amongst a sea of Pickelhauben.

Obviously just prior to the general change-over to the superior head protection. 

Kindest regards,

Kim.

1 hour ago, Jools mckenna said:

Some men from ??Verft Divison II

Scan0066.jpg

men with the white band on cap are from the Seebataillone, later Marine Infantry, not to confuse with the Matrosen Regimenten