On 24/12/2018 at 18:52, trajan said:
On 24/12/2018 at 18:52, trajan said:

scan0005.jpg

scan0006.jpg

On 24/12/2018 at 21:31, The Prussian said:

... I read:
Minna Köhn

Malzstraße (?) 17

Braunsberg O.P. (Ostpreußen - East Prussia)

Well, I don´t write too much in this thread because it´s too fast and too large...

One question, no response and another photo.

Hi Andy,

Thanks for the help, and yes, I'll try and be better behaved also!

The sender is Viz.Feldwebel Fritz SCHIPPEL, 282 Western(?) POW 4 Camp, Park Hall, Oswestry. Barack nr.8 is chalked on the stone. There is something on the camp here: http://www.trefonen.org/german-prisoner-of-war-camp.html and here https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p01qmrmr Data on an archaeological survey here: http://search.shropshirehistory.org.uk/collections/getrecord/CCS_MSA33171/ Quite a lot of other stuff as well!

Can you identify the Viz.Feldwebel in the photograph? There are two or three possibilities to my mind...

2 hours ago, Cnock said:

Prussian recruits

007.jpg

An interesting mix of 1888 ammunition pouches, some dimkleblau, 1871 pattern brass hilt bayonets although the pickelhaubes look like the metal economy version of late war

On 24/12/2018 at 18:57, trajan said:

And now, for your enjoyment, a chappie from the Metzer Infanterie-Regiment Nr.98, the 33rd Inf.Division.

scan0008.jpg

scan0009.jpg

On 24/12/2018 at 20:34, GreyC said:

Apart from being a "chappie" he is also either a Sergeant or Vizefeldwebel. As there is no Portepee or Troddel on the photo, impossible to tell.

GreyC

102 years to the day this was written - was für ein Zufall! Nobody any further ideas on this chappie?  And GreyC, well-done on spotting that collar disc! I was thinking Unteroffizier of Faehnrich...

On 24/12/2018 at 23:02, GreyC said:

... The 1. Ers. Btl. Inf Reg. 52 has nothing to do with Württemberg.

Woops! How did I make that mistake? Thanks for correcting!

On 24/12/2018 at 23:52, JWK said:

It's from Vize Feldwebel Fritz Schippel in some POW camp.

"282 Western POW camp Park Hale Chivesley Compound W3 England"????

Here's his ICRC card, he's on list  A 29242, "held in 37071"

THE NOK address is in/near what is now Ozyorsk, Kaliningrad Oblast

Oh, thanks JWK! I was working forwards and had not looked at new posts so missed this one of yours... Apologies But I now have the address and further details have posted on this above - it is POW camp 4, Park Hall, Osewestry. I gather that there were six camps in that area.

Julian

PS: Interesting to see that Sergei Viktorovich Skripal is from the same town... VERY unlikey, I known, but Schippel > Skrippal > Skripal???

Edited by trajan
add PS

Cnock do please slow down! As the Prussian said we don't have a chance to view them properly and then comment! 

17 hours ago, Cnock said:

Flanders 1918, officers Alpenkorps after the fighting for the Kemmel

009.jpg

Hello!

What stands on the reverse, please?

I don't see Alpenkorps badges, but Carapthian corps ones! 1st row far left I see guard-Litzen too. The carpathian-corps existed from july 1916 until december 1917. Since 1918 the both divisions were independent.

1.Inf.Div.: 1st Grenadiers, 3rd Grenadiers and 43rd Infantry

200.Inf.Div.: 3rd, 4th and 5th Jäger-Regiment

The battle of Kemmel (april 1918) was fought by the 4th army with the following divisions:

Alpenkorps, 3rd guard, 4th bavarian, 7th, 10th.Ersatz, 11th bavarian, 13rd Res., 17th Res., 19th Res., 22nd Res., 29th, 31st, 32nd, 36th Res., 49th Res., 52nd Res., 56th, 79th Res., 117th, 121st, 214th, 233rd.

But: In august 1916 the 117.Inf.Div. belonged to the carpathian corps too, as well as the 10th bavarian Inf.Div. in september 1916. In october the 49th Res.Div. joined that corps too.

So if the photo was taken at the Kemmel, the boys could serve with 49th Res. or 117th too.

Can your read some shoulder straps please (especially the guards-man)? The guard-Litzen seem to be yellow - so it´ll be artillery

Edited by The Prussian

14 hours ago, trajan said:

Hi Andy,

Thanks for the help, and yes, I'll try and be better behaved also!

The sender is Viz.Feldwebel Fritz SCHIPPEL, 282 Western(?) POW 4 Camp, Park Hall, Oswestry. Barack nr.8 is chalked on the stone. There is something on the camp here: http://www.trefonen.org/german-prisoner-of-war-camp.html and here https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p01qmrmr Data on an archaeological survey here: http://search.shropshirehistory.org.uk/collections/getrecord/CCS_MSA33171/ Quite a lot of other stuff as well!

Can you identify the Viz.Feldwebel in the photograph? There are two or three possibilities to my mind...

Hi Julian!

Unfortunately not. But I´d say, one of those NCOs with decorations

I don't see Alpenkorps badges, but Carapthian corps ones! 1st row far left I see guard-Litzen too. The carpathian-corps existed from july 1916 until december 1917. Since 1918 the both divisions were independent.

The battle of Kemmel (april 1918) was fought by the 4th army with the following divisions:

Alpenkorps, 3rd guard, 4th bavarian, 7th, 10th.Ersatz, 11th bavarian, 13rd Res., 17th Res., 19th Res., 22nd Res., 29th, 31st, 32nd, 36th Res., 49th Res., 52nd Res., 56th, 79th Res., 117th, 121st, 214th, 233rd.

But: In august 1916 the 117.Inf.Div. belonged to the carpathian corps too, as well as the 10th bavarian Inf.Div. in september 1916. In october the 49th Res.Div. joined that corps too.

So if the photo was taken at the Kemmel, the boys could serve with 49th Res. or 117th too.

Can your read some shoulder straps please (especially the guards-man)? The guard-Litzen seem to be yellow - so it´ll be artillery

Hi,

The reverse only mentions that the picture was taken in Flanders, 1918

Ah, ok. I just wondered, why you talked about the Alpenkorps

23 hours ago, Cnock said:

Flanders 1918, officers Alpenkorps after the fighting for the Kemmel

009.jpg

6 hours ago, The Prussian said:

Hello!

I reposted the original and Andy's comments so that we know where we are! 

Never seen so many Carpathian badges in one photograph! There is quite a mixture of hatbands there - does that not help in identiyfying this group? And the front row guys - one has leather-trimmed riding breeches (3rd from left) and four have riding boots - but I guess officers would wear these things anyway.

Julian

Edited by trajan

Hello Julian!

The capbands might have different colours, but some of them wear a cover over the coloured capbands. Maybe the shoulder board of the guard man is visible???

2 minutes ago, The Prussian said:

Hello Julian!

The capbands might have different colours, but some of them wear a cover over the coloured capbands. Maybe the shoulder board of the guard man is visible???

Have you noticed the way that Guardsman seems to be laughing at us poor souls trying to work out what unit he belonged to? But yes, litzen have that black look suggesting they are yellow...

Yes. He seems to be mean...

I checked all possible divisions. No guard-artillery... Strange...

But, because I am NOT mean, here is the artillery during the battle of Kemmel (from the book: "Kemmel, Sturm und Sterben um einen Berg", by Gustav Goes, 1932)

IMG_20181227_121009.jpg

IMG_20181227_121037.jpg

Edited by The Prussian

Reserve Artillerie Rgt nr.50, nothing written on the back

008.jpg

Hi,

the guy on horseback seems to be an Unteroffizier of a Feld Artillerie Regiment. The stamp seems to indicate from an Ersatz Abteilung.

The soldiers below that photo are from Reserve FELD Artillerie Regiment 50. It is important to state the FELD as there is also always a possibiity it could be FUß-Artillerie, though (as far as I know) not with numbers for the Reserve Fußartillerie Regimenter with numbers above 20.

GreyC

Hi Grey C,

foto comes from a fotoalbum officer Reserve Feld Artillerie Rgt nr.50