Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

German Uniform Photos

4thGordons

5 minutes ago, The Prussian said:

Salut Martine!

Oops... I´ve never heard that word before... So it exists. Thanks for the info. 

But anyway, I still read "Frau"

Dir auch ein frohes Weihnachtsfest und einen guten Rutsch!

man lernt nie aus ! one can always learn

by the way, I read 'Frau' too, but : we have here in the Somme a postcard sent by a German soldier with the address : "wohlgeborene ...." : this surely was humor ... just as I could write to you as, for instance,"A. Graf Hubbelrath"  (einen anderen Stadtteil kannst Du Dir auswählen !)

That´s possible... Hubbelrath is a part of Düsseldorf... :D

2 hours ago, mva said:

man lernt nie aus ! one can always learn

by the way, I read 'Frau' too, but : we have here in the Somme a postcard sent by a German soldier with the address : "wohlgeborene ...." : this surely was humor ... just as I could write to you as, for instance,"A. Graf Hubbelrath"  (einen anderen Stadtteil kannst Du Dir auswählen !)

Wohlgeborene Martine,

It wasn‘t humour but a honorific used to address influential persons of a higher social status within smaller communities such as doctors, teachers, priests, postmasters etc. 

https://heraldik-wiki.de/wiki/Hochwohlgeboren

https://de.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Honoratioren

29 minutes ago, charlie2 said:

Wohlgeborene Martine,

It wasn‘t humour but a honorific used to address influential persons of a higher social status within smaller communities such as doctors, teachers, priests, postmasters etc. 

Sorry, Charlie2, I don't think this applies to this case : the soldier was a painter (Malermeister) writing to his wife in Berlin ... I have researched (he still lived at the same address in 1940), but I can"t find the card now - if I do, I'll show it here

kind regards from the Somme - und guten Rutsch !

PS - actually not a Malermeister, but a Schlosser - here is the card & the Adressbuch 1940 :

Tielsch1.jpg.4b7e7e08ae29a9c49d5f1e1d592eb190.jpgTielsch2.jpg.38374debc9ba9ed073621bb955ab17db.jpg

Edited by mva
added pics

Dear GreyC,

The wife? Isn't that adressed to 'Freiin' (an aristocratic 'Miss')? 

Kindest regards,

Kim.

It´s definitively "Frau". That used to be the way married women were addressed officially: as "Frau" and then the name of their husband (here with title "Dr"). Freein would be an unmarried Freifrau so no male name involved. The address would have to be  "von" then, too.

GreyC

Edited by GreyC

Sorry, but since when do you believe in Wikipedia as a reliable source?

The correct address is always "von". If you are of the same status or higher the omission of "von" is possible, as both are "von", just like doctors in Gemany address each other as "Herr" or "Frau" without title.

GreyC

Edited by GreyC

Dear mva,

Thanks for that.

Yes, if (for example) Freiherr (Baron) von Richtofen had survived and married, his wife would have been Freifrau (Baroness) von Richthofen; and had they produced a daughter, she would have been Freiin (Baroness) von Richthofen!

Kindest regards,

Kim.

Dear Prussian,

Having said that, I am now inclined to agree with you that the word is actually 'Frau' - underlined by the fact that the Schlinks were not aristocratic. Nichts für ungut!

Kindest regards,

Kim.

Edited by Kimberley John Lindsay

1 hour ago, GreyC said:

Sorry, but since when do you believe in Wikipedia as a reliable source?

I rely to 50% on Wikip, but the name Marion Gräfin Dönhoff I know very well, without wikip, having read, e.g. "Namen, die keiner mehr nennt" - look here eg : http://www.eimsbuetteler-tonstudio.de/hoerbuch-seiten/hoerbuch29.html  -  or : https://www.zeit.de/2016/08/marion-graefin-doenhoff-hans-werner-sinn  ; sie war ja Chefredakteurin der ZEIT ....

Hi,

just because people do not adhere to protocol in this case (Dönhoff), doesn´t make it right or the norm, particularly not in view of the fact that the card to Frau Schlinck was written in a time in which theses things were still important and respected. Today they are not.

With this I´d like to end the discussion around this point from my side.

Merry Xmas.

GreyC

Edited by GreyC

On 23 December 2018 at 01:20, GreyC said:

Hi, second to last photo shows the Dragoner Kaserne in Karlsruhe with roll call to inspect the horses. That´s what it says on the front and the stamp (Karlsruhe). The guy marked with an x is sender of the card. His name is Richard.

So he is a soldier of 1. Badische Leib-Dragoner-Regiment Nr. 20. The building still exists.

Backside a thank you note for mail received. Address is a very posh neighbourhood in Hamburg, Germany, to the wife of this guy (if you can read German):

https://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Julius_Schlinck

His product is still available today.

GreyC

Many thanks GreyC. 

43 minutes ago, Cnock said:

Jäger

Cnock

JAG4.jpg

Hello!

Tshako, guard-Litzen and brandenburg cuffs? strange...

Frontschwein with extra capacity magazine for his Gewehr 98 and trench knife

FS1.jpg

On 10/04/2018 at 04:52, 4thGordons said:

A new one: and a test for your eyes4-9-2.jpg.f21def310a28fe6f03edb5623874a09e.jpg

4-9-2back.jpg.55b6b158c6b0ab4d11b70a461770d633.jpg

Chris

I have been so busy with this and that that this was possibly / probably the last one I looked at here! So catching up to do and at the end I'll add some I picked up in Ankara, of all places - first decent ones I have seen ever on the Antique market here!

Edited by trajan

On 29/05/2018 at 22:31, Sturmmann1918 said:

Can anyone help me with some info on this one?

PSX_20180529_152922.jpg

I can't see any immediate reply and I am catching up on 6 months worth of posts here - if nobody has replied then I'll have a go later!

Hi Julian and all,

for those with difficulty deciphering the back: The sender states that you can see the whole of MG company 3 of RIR14. Other than that he thanks the addressee for letter and parcel.

GreyC

With regard to the last photo (help requested) it might be a Bavarian fieldpost soldier.Need to check my books currently not at hand. Ask the Prussian for verification.

GreyC

Edited by GreyC

On 23/12/2018 at 03:54, GWF1967 said:

Anti mosquito nets?  Bulgaria. 

Scan_20181031 (5).jpg

They look awfully ike the funny hair-hemet-nets issued to Israeli army soldiers to prevent " a clear sniper shot to the head" - well, that's the explanation I have heard! Perhaps they are sniper head gear?