Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

German Uniform Photos

4thGordons

Well, as noted above, I have not been able to indulge in ths wonderful and highly informative thread for some time - Work, the curse of many GWF members, and kids, the curse of a few among us! But, start of this month I saw for the first time ever a collection of interesting and uninteresting WW1 German photographs at the Ankara Antika Pazari. The interesting ones were those with unit numbers and usually text, the uninteristering ones were those with nothing identifiable on them and no obvious connection to the rest. And now - wife and kids off in Istanbul for the holiday, and me stuck here with essays to mark, etc....

So here we go as a Frohliche Weichnachts abend to my friends in Deutschland, and a Merry Christmas to all others!

First of - a POW camp in England card

scan0005.jpg

scan0006.jpg

9 minutes ago, GreyC said:

No they are mosquito nets.

GreyC

I'll take your word for it! I know they had them in the African units...

And now, for your enjoyment, a chappie from the Metzer Infanterie-Regiment Nr.98, the 33rd Inf.Division.

scan0008.jpg

scan0009.jpg

4 minutes ago, Cnock said:

009.jpg

Railway men and a 'dog' - interesting! Thanks!

Edited by trajan

2 minutes ago, Cnock said:

011.jpg

A Black wound badge so after March 1918...

Number three in the ones I picked up is actually a souvenir / memento card, but had written details on the back so not to be ignored...

scan0010a.jpg

scan0011.jpg

Here is no. 4 - but clearly Cnock has a few to come so I'll leave off for now - I have five more to come!

scan0013a.jpg

scan0015.jpg

1 hour ago, trajan said:

d now, for your enjoyment, a chappie from the Metzer Infanterie-Regiment Nr.98

Apart from being a "chappie" he is also either a Sergeant or Vizefeldwebel. As there is no Portepee or Troddel on the photo, impossible to tell.

GreyC

36 minutes ago, GreyC said:

Apart from being a "chappie" he is also either a Sergeant or Vizefeldwebel. As there is no Portepee or Troddel on the photo, impossible to tell.

GreyC

Thanks Grey! I hadn't commented on any of these as I just wanted to get them up on GWF while I could - but Cnock seems to have gone for dinner...

2 hours ago, trajan said:

First of - a POW camp in England

scan0006.jpg

Cany anyone work out that address?

Edited by trajan

Hi Julian!

I read:
Minna Köhn

Malzstraße (?) 17

Braunsberg O.P. (Ostpreußen - East Prussia)

Well, I don´t write too much in this thread because it´s too fast and too large...

One question, no response and another photo.

One should post ONE photo, talk about it (if there are questions), clear all questions and THEN showing the next one.

What is the aim? Just to show photos or trying to get some infos about the photos?

It´s not against you, Julian, I know you agree with me...

I wish all of you a merry christmas!

Edited by The Prussian

Number three in the ones I picked up is actually a souvenir / memento card, but had written details on the back so not to be ignored...

scan0010a.jpg

scan0011.jpg

From *** the Württembergisches Ersatz-Infanterie-Regiment Nr. 52 Rekruten-Dept?

"Dear ???. I am again lucky .... peace --- From your loving father"...

1 minute ago, The Prussian said:

Hi Julian!

I read:
Minna Köhn

Malzstraße (?) 17

Braunsberg O.P. (Ostpreußen - East Prussia)

Well, I don´t write too much in this thread because it´s too fast and too large...

One question, no response and another photo.

One should post ONE photo, talk about it (if there are questions), clear all questions and THEN showing the next one.

What is the aim? Just to show photos or trying to learn something?

It´s not against you, Julian, I know you agree with me...

I wish all of you a merry christmas!

Hi Andy,

That's why I always re-post the photograph so we know where we are! If not he photograph then I always quote text from the original message so that it is possible to get back to this... You are quite right over-posting with no time allowamce - I have complained myself of this before... So I'll do the others tomororrow. In fact I am trying now to remember one of 4G's post that had a medic badge on the right sleeve - when I thought the right sleeve was usuual...  But what an amazing source we have here for uniform researchers!

Have yourself a good Christmas! 

Best wishes,

Julian

That's right mate.

I wonder about the Brandenburg cuffs worn by engeneers and Jäger.

By the I am not su busy here this time, because I read a lot about the Turkish army in Caucasus.

From *** the Württembergisches Ersatz-Infanterie-Regiment Nr. 52 Rekruten-Dept?

"Dear ???. I am again lucky .... peace --- From your loving father"...

It´s a card from father to (little?) daughter. He informs her that he is back in Cottbus. He hopes that she has meanwhile stopped crying and to see her again soon. then he asked her to extend best wishes to all in the family. Two Leo Grzybowski are listed in the VL, one wounded lightly, one KIA. Hope for the little girl he wasn´t the one KIA. The 1. Ers. Btl. Inf Reg. 52 has nothing to do with Württemberg. The IR 52 was garrisoned in Crossen and Cottbus and was the 6th. IR inside Brandenburg-

GreyC

Edited by GreyC

Cany anyone work out that address?

It's from Vize Feldwebel Fritz Schippel in some POW camp.

"282 Western POW camp Park Hale Chivesley Compound W3 England"????

Here's his ICRC card, he's on list  A 29242, "held in 37071"

THE NOK address is in/near what is now Ozyorsk, Kaliningrad Oblast

Dear All,

Here is a group in a Rest Resort, showing (at right) Ltn d. R. Rudolf Schneider and his wife Elisabeth, with other wounded officers recovering, in 1918.

Note the officer at left was a Beobachter. Rudolf Schneider (my wife's maternal grandfather) was from Baden and was with field artillery.1892977610_RudolfElizabetSchneiderApr1918.jpg.01f046916b7824dc3aba5a6d87579dcf.jpg

Kindest regards,

Kim.

Edited by Kimberley John Lindsay

Dear GreyC,

Thanks for the welcome feedback.

I reciprocate your kind Seasons Greetings!

Kindest regards,

Kim.