Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Sainsbury's Christmas Advert

Stebie9173

Forgive my possible ignorance, but isn't it just standard Sainsbury's chocolate, rebranded?

Forgive my possible ignorance, but isn't it just standard Sainsbury's chocolate, rebranded?

No Alan , I think it is sourced specially from Ypres - that said not that great IMHO.

I think you are correct Alan, but it is Belgian chocolate, whatever that means.

Mandy

Thanks - I could probably have read the last twenty pages and found this out myself!

My apologies, I'm getting my chocolate and my hardtack mixed uo.

This from Sainsburys website:

The limited edition 100g Taste the Difference Belgian Milk Chocolate bar is manufactured in Ypres, Belgium, and features the same period packaging seen in the ad.

Would the feelgood factor have come through in the ad had this account been recreated for it?...

8Jan1915AberdeenEveningExpress_zpsfc1d55

Proof positive!!

H

I think the one below would work better, a bully beef tin for the ball, who hasn't played fitba with a can!

trucenottevp31dec14_zpsdc6c74f4.jpg

Or a comforter stuffed with straw, don't think you could kick that far....

truceYorEvP2jan15_zps1d11bc78.jpg

Derek.

That will still be classed as anecdote by those pedants who insist it never happened. Don't suppose they played by N.F.L. rules? Proper size ball, field size, goals and all that stuff. (Canada's famous Grey Cup Final is currently on T.V.)

H.

Whilst raising funds for some very deserving forces charities, "Military Voices", the Armed Forces choir, and the Royal Marines Corps of Drums and various cadet units are using the Tomb of the Unknown Warrior as their stage prop > HERE.

Now that is tacky :glare:

Tom

Having dipped into this thread, a seizure induced by anoraknophobia has followed.

I dread next year's sequel of Gallipoli and the re-packaging of Turkish Delight.

Whilst raising funds for some very deserving forces charities, "Military Voices", the Armed Forces choir, and the Royal Marines Corps of Drums and various cadet units, are using the Tomb of the Unknown Warrior as their stage prop > HERE.

Now that is tacky :glare:

Tom

Yes, ill-judged.

I have finally seen the advert. It is an advert was my reaction, and joins all the other Christmas adverts, which to my mind are all mildly annoying. But no sleep was lost.

I never realised that the makers of the film "All quiet on the Western Front" were in fact war profiteers.

Podcast from the IWM. Christmas Truce 1914

http://www.iwm.org.uk/history/podcasts/voices-of-the-first-world-war/podcast-9-the-christmas-truce

(Probably posted on the forum somewhere, but can't find and I hadn't listened to this before)

Thanks for that, it was nice to hear.

Poor Harold Lewis of the RFA, he just couldn't accept it.

Derek.

There was far too much off topic here. I have hidden quite a few comments, some of which I quite enjoyed, but can we please stay close to the Sainsbury's advertisement and the Christmas Truce. The wider ranging comments would not be an issue in Skindles, but they are not appropriate here.

Thanks

Keith Roberts

An interesting article in the Daily Mail: General Sir Walter Congreve, Rifle Brigade, writes home about Christmas 1914.. and mentions football, Now what do we make of this?

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2860468/WWI-General-Sir-Walter-Congreve-s-letter-reveals-reluctance-join-Christmas-truce-fearing-shot-fraternising-Germans.html

"Next door the two battalions opposite each other were shooting away all day & so I hear it was further north, 1st R.B. playing football with the Germans opposite them - next Regiments shooting each other."

An interesting article in the Daily Mail: General Sir Walter Congreve, Rifle Brigade, writes home about Christmas 1914.. and mentions football, Now what do we make of this?

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2860468/WWI-General-Sir-Walter-Congreve-s-letter-reveals-reluctance-join-Christmas-truce-fearing-shot-fraternising-Germans.html

"Next door the two battalions opposite each other were shooting away all day & so I hear it was further north, 1st R.B. playing football with the Germans opposite them - next Regiments shooting each other."

Steve,

Extremely interesting to have a first hand written account of the 1914 Christmas Truce, also of interest was the report that General Congreve won the Victoria Cross during the Second Boer War and his son Billy also won the V.C., making them the only instance of a father and son in the same regiment being awarded the V.C.

Regards,

LF

Is it a first hand written account? Sounds like hearsay to me " I hear...."

Roger

Is it a first hand written account? Sounds like hearsay to me " I hear...."

Roger

Now now Roger, don't get all pedantic, the General wrote his account on the day, Christmas Day 1914, at the location where the Truce took place, taking information directly from his own troops who had just taken part in the Truce. He himself was offered a meeting with the Germans during the Truce, and declined due to his General's rank. I think that can all safely be called a ' first hand written account '.

Regards,

LF