Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Sainsbury's Christmas Advert

Stebie9173

The "Salonika football match" photo (posts 545-7 above) has appeared in other articles about the Christmas truce of 1914, such as

here

and in an item on ITV news a few minutes ago in which Andrew Hamilton says that his grandfather, Captain Robert Hamilton, negotiated a truce with the Germans and that the football match he saw was a kickabout by men of the Royal Warwickshire, with the Germans looking on.

I couldn't determine a link to the news item, but my efforts did lead to this

2007 article in the Daily Telegraph

(which may well have already been referred to at some time here on the GWF).

Moonraker

The "Salonika football match" photo (posts 545-7 above) has appeared in other articles about the Christmas truce of 1914, such as

here

Moonraker

That photograph is part of a set the War Photographer took on Christmas Day 1915 at the ASC Camp near Salonika, other photos included the football match, an officer's race, and Christmas Dinner being served to the Officers and Men.

If you look closely in the background of the ASC Salonika Camp photo used by ITV ( copy attached ), you will see the British ASC Camp white tents in the distance, why did ITV think that white tents would be pitched in ' No Man's Land ' on the Western Front ?

They also get ' Nil Points ' for photo research.

Regards,

LF

salonika FM tents.jpg

post-63666-0-93221300-1418329591_thumb.j

Thanks Moonraker; another scoop.

Pete.

Just watched this from Canberra, Australia and I found it very well done and quite moving.

Perhaps once this is installed, someone could place a chocolate bar in the hand of the man on the left?

Why wait? ;-)

http://postimg.org/image/di8rbygut/

Christmas_Truce_statue_with_added_chocol

He is not allowed to make a comment as they lost :w00t:

Care to elaborate on that please ? I would lóve to hear your reasoning behind that statement.

I'd still like the chance to find out what it tastes like.

I think Sainsbury's and the RBL have miscalculated though. Whatever your personal thoughts on the rights and wrongs of it all, the biggest wrong right now is that they didn't obviously manufacture enough chocolate. There is not a bar to be had in Hull at the moment, not one, not according to the Customer Services in the Hessle store yesterday, and so of course now they are being listed on a well known online auction site for a minimum of £3 a bar :angry2::angry2::angry2:

Yay, we still have four.

We purchased ten, so an outlay of ten pounds (obviously :) ). Sell the remaining four bars @ three pounds a piece, quids in!

As if I would :rolleyes:

• Admin

I see the statue is called 'All together now' the song of the same name has been released as a charity single, even more exploitation by the football industry as the descent into kitsch continues.

Ken