Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Sainsbury's Christmas Advert

Stebie9173

Professor Gary Sheffield

My personal view is that I don’t think it is appropriate and that I am uneasy at using the First World War to sell groceries, no matter how sensitively it is done or that it involves giving some monies to the Royal British Legion. I simply don’t like it.

Mike

Professor Gary Sheffield

My personal view is that I don’t think it is appropriate and that I am uneasy at using the First World War to sell groceries, no matter how sensitively it is done or that it involves giving some monies to the Royal British Legion. I simply don’t like it.

Mike

And I don't like academics who "condemn" the use of such things by commercial organisations, yet use WW1 (and WW2) to "sell" themselves, their work and to further their own careers. What will his next book be; "The hypocrisy of war and those who study it"?

Cheers-salesie

I'm sure if Gary were that bothered about posting his personal opinion then he'd come on here and do it himself.

He does, very interestingly, go on to say:

"More importantly, I am interested in the story it portrays from an historical viewpoint. It is a lot more accurate than it could have been because, I understand, of the involvement of a historical adviser who knows his stuff and was able to get the makers to tone down the football element so as to include some of the more mundane things that took place - such as the soldiers showing each other photographs.

“The role of football in the truce is very much overhyped. There is a common assumption that some sort of big match took place but there is scant evidence of this actually occurring.

“Most of the evidence is hearsay or soldiers recounting they were going to have a match but didn’t have a ball or their superiors forbid it.

“It is possible that some sort of low-level kick about took place but not much more."

In fact, the whole piece is rather interesting and it's a shame to only pick out one small line which seemingly supports the nay sayers, but on reading the whole of it, it is very much more supportive of Taff's work than at first seems to be suggested.

And I don't like academics who "condemn" the use of such things by commercial organisations, yet use WW1 (and WW2) to "sell" themselves, their work and to further their own careers. What will his next book be; "The hypocrisy of war and those who study it"?

Cheers-salesie

Quite agree - sell groceries , sell books , sell yourself and your opinions for documentaries. what's the difference?

Consuming the chocolate will certainly be more fun that digesting one of GS's books!

I contacted the Sainsburys baker that I know and he said that because the WW1 biscuit recipe uses 'cups' as a measure he thought it sounded American. (He's also a collector of very old recipes). He also thought that it resembled a pizza base and could even be a source for American soldiers taking the recipe back to the States where pizza gained popularity in the 1950s. (gosh this sounds off topic, but still relevant to WW1 ...I think).

Too much salt though, he said, but if it's used in stews to thicken, then the seasoning for the stew comes with it which sounds plausible to me.

I'm wondering if this particular recipe is just an American version of the original WW1 British recipe, simply because of the terminology used?

The use of 'cups' is very American these days, but was common in many recipes a hundred years ago as many working-class people didn't have scales to measure. They were often defined as either 'teacups' or 'breakfast cups.'

Sue

Australian recipes also use 'cups' as a measurement and in my kitchen cupboard we have stainless steel measuring utensils consisting of two full cups, a full cup, half a cup and a quarter cup. All found in my mother-in-laws belongings and she is English through and through and never been abroad.

regards

Indefatigable

Here's a link from the site where the recipe is published:

http://inspiration.sainsburys-live-well-for-less.co.uk/about-our-christmas-tv-ad/

Scroll down quite a way, but you can't miss it

I expect the quantities of salt used would be to preserve the buscuit. It would also make them rick hard - presumably why they were calked hardtack?

I'm wondering if this particular recipe is just an American version of the original WW1 British recipe, simply because of the terminology used?

Possibly, Andy, although the cookbooks of the time that I've referenced usually have weights and volumes, they do have the occasional cup measurement recipe.

Professor Gary Sheffield's remarks quoted above about commercial exploitation made me shake my head, given that he has been Professor of War Studies at both Birmingham and Wolverhampton Universities. Both courses were set up to bring in money for these institutions on the back of WW1. Personally I don't find this objectionable, bit it is important to realise academic institutions are not philanthropic organisations.

TR

I thought that last night I'd posted in this thread an observation that vendors on a certain internet auction site are offering the bars at as much as £10 a bar. I concluded with the one-word query "profiteering?".

Now I can't find my post, which may mean I messed up last night, perhaps omitting to click on "Post", or it's been deleted by the mods - no complaint if it has.

Moonraker

If anyone's stupid enough to buy them for £10, when you can buy them in the shops for £1 ......................

PS: Your post kast evening never showed up.

I thought that last night I'd posted in this thread an observation that vendors on a certain internet auction site are offering the bars at as much as £10 a bar. I concluded with the one-word query "profiteering?".

Now I can't find my post, which may mean I messed up last night, perhaps omitting to click on "Post", or it's been deleted by the mods - no complaint if it has.

Moonraker

Not deleted to my knowledge...

The use of 'cups' is very American these days, but was common in many recipes a hundred years ago as many working-class people didn't have scales to measure. They were often defined as either 'teacups' or 'breakfast cups.'

Sue

Sue,

I have a gingerbread recipe given me by my grandmother, which she had received from an old lady who had been a child at the Siege of Lucknow. It uses "teacups" full.

Hazel

If anyone's stupid enough to buy them for £10, when you can buy them in the shops for £1 ......................

Although, as I have pointed out at least twice (not that anyone responded), at Sainsbury's at Hedge End (J7 of the M27), you can't buy them, as the display was empty last saturday and not there this Saturday. I'm not so sadly desperate for a bar of it to fork out a tenner, but I can understand why some people might be.

But they keep restocking the shelves, Steven, so all people need to is keep visiting if they REALLY want a bar or two.

... I'm not so sadly desperate for a bar of it to fork out a tenner, but I can understand why some people might be.

so they can eat it or keep it as a souvenir or "collectable". I haven't bothered to check what sort of sales the eBay vendors/speculators are getting.

Moonraker

But they keep restocking the shelves, Steven, so all people need to is keep visiting if they REALLY want a bar or two.

Not sure about that. The only time I've seen it on sale, it was only in a small, not very obtrusive display unit near the entrance. None in the chocolate aisle. Which suggests to me that they didn't have a lot of stock.

Exactly what my houskeeper said when she returned yesterday: the display had gone, so it looks like supplies were very limited.

Announced the chocolate 'back in stock' this pm in my local Sainsbury - for those who missed out!

Ken

Not sure about that. The only time I've seen it on sale, it was only in a small, not very obtrusive display unit near the entrance. None in the chocolate aisle. Which suggests to me that they didn't have a lot of stock.

I know it must be frustrating for those of you not able to purchase it, but I can only speak as I find.

Ken said they'd re-stocked last week and James went down, sure enough chocolate was on the shelves ( and I'm talking a local Sainsburys, not a big Superstore).

Then he was passing again today so popped in and was able to procure more - admittedley the last few bars, but the point is it was still available up here until today, in that store. Surely it must also be in other stores? Perhaps they have more stock coming again - who knows?

Loads in our local Sainsbury. And it's quite nice, too

Plenty for sale in Sainsbury's Chichester, we have had 2 deliveries this week. Available from next to the Customer Service Desk.

Mandy

Sainsburys employee.