Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Sainsbury's Christmas Advert

Stebie9173

Money raised by whatever means, must mean 2014 has been a bumper year for the RBL and other forces charities. Is that such a bad thing?

I totally agree that in some situations, anonymity will work. I give anonymously to lots of things. However, the situations are quite different. Sainsbury's are not costing their shareholders much by providing the facility to raise large amounts of money which the charities don't have the capability of raising entirely on their own. The guy who gets the state of the art prosthesis is not going to send it back just because a grocery store decided to help him. As said previously people left destitute by the war were very grateful for the Sainsbury's sixpences.

That brings us to that bad person Andy. Yes, it would be rude to refuse a gift from children. However, if I really felt badly about the whole concept, I would have explained my feelings on the subject and suggested they gave it to someone who would appreciate it. Me for instance. Although I did hear a rumour that it is milk chocolate. Not that keen on the stuff, but would have no trouble finding a home

Hazel C

Am I a bad person?

Frank Edwards, the Footballer of Loos (1/18th County of London battalion the London Irish Rifles), took several footballs to the front line to kick over the top on 25th September 1915. An Officer apparently pierced the footballs once they were inflated. However, Edwards had kept one deflated in his pack (probably his haversack) and inflated it before going over the top and kicking it toward the enemy trenches.

How did he inflate it again ???

This whole debate is now going round in circles and coming back to points made originally in the thread. Buy the chocolate, don't buy it - watch the ad, don't watch it. Approve of Sainsbury's supporting the RBL and making ads and selling money raising chocolate bars - don't approve of it. It's up to the individual and most of us have stated our feelings. Repeating the same thing Mike 'it smells', is just that - repetitive. Sorry mate.

Daniel, I understand the points you made about donating to charities anonymously, but I don't agree that it's a cultural thing. Donating to charity is often a spontaneous gesture, anonymously or publicly, however anyone was raised. Those buying chocolate bars may or may not also be donating anonymously to other charities of their choice. I'm not even going to state if I do or don't donate to whatever charity anonymously.

Two relatives of mine, left the services recently. One had served over 22 years and came out with a service related injury. Both had served during difficult times. The RBL helped them both with advice and practical help. Any corporate company who raises money for the RBL, especially in such a long term capacity has my vote.

I'm out

Merry Christmas, Happy Hanukkah

How did he inflate it again ???

He blew it up himself - not to match pressure though I shouldn't think.

Money raised by whatever means, must mean 2014 has been a bumper year for the RBL and other forces charities. Is that such a bad thing?

Slightly off-topic, but I'm a Poppy Appeal Organiser for a village near where I live. This year we increased our take by over £1,000, from £4,153 to £5,220-something.

All well and good you say, but the downside is that next year I will, as ever, try and beat last year's target. I can't see the centenary of 1915 being quite such an easy "sell"!

Well done Steven, good for you.

better ole, of course, money for deserving causes is good. I think though, this Christmas, Sainsbury's will probably receive more than they give by a fair margin?

Mike

For what it's worth. I have not seen the advert 'live' on the TV. Sainsbury is in business to make money and would do so with or without the advert. They sell other stuff than chocolate!

" They sell other stuff than chocolate! "

Yes indeed, and probably much more of it on the back of a sanitised (though very accurate regarding uniforms/trenches etc) advert using the very emotive subject of the 1914 Christmas truce, for which the RBL receive a small percentage.

Mike

the RBL receive a small percentage.

Mike

My understanding was that RBL received the profits?

Hazel C.

Can't wait for the - Gallipoli hard gums. Thiepval toffee, Passchendaele Porridge and the last hundred days board game (also available on Wi etc)

They're all on the production line. :w00t:

" My understanding was that RBL received the profits? "

Profits from the sale of the chocolate, but not from the profit of all the other Sainsbury's goods. People buying from Sainsbury's have, without doubt, bought many other items they might not have bought, were it not for this particular advert. So, Sainsbury's are the winners, though the RBL certainly have benefited. Now if Sainsbury's were to donate all the profit accrued from the advert/goodwill, then I would have little to "whinge" about?

Mike

Great idea - maybe you could top it up by donating all of your last couple of months income in the same way? Of course, you'd first need to spend a couple of million £ for advertising to come close to what you're suggesting someone else does....

" Great idea - maybe you could top it up by donating all of your last couple of months income in the same way? " How do you know I haven't?

" Of course, you'd first need to spend a couple of million £ for advertising to come close to what you're suggesting someone else does..." . No I wouldn't...and, are you suggesting that Sainsbury's didn't work out the pros and cons?

BTW I do donate what I can afford, to my charities of choice, and I don't shout about it, or want anything in return.

Mike

I think we've gone as far as we can go - unless anyone has anything to take the discussion forward, perhaps it is better to close it.....

Yes it is tedious.

FTSE companies give in excess of £2.5 billion to charity each year. If the ridiculously "hairshirt" demands that they should not benefit commercially by one iota by way of the good-will created were acceded to, one wonders if this would be maintained. I think not.

Personally I think this would be regrettable but the purists will no doubt say "Well they weren't being genuinely philanthropic were they".

As has been said, it's a no score draw.

Yes, Alan , close it please!

Yes it is tedious.

FTSE companies give in excess of £2.5 billion to charity each year.

FTSE companies are using revenue generated from us, the people. Now if the powers that be who ran these companies collectively dipped into their own pockets to the tune of £ 2.5 billion, that is a different matter. Somehow, I think not.

Douglas