Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Tunics for Goalposts

Michelle Young

• Admin

Radio Five Thursday at 8pm

More football during the Christmas Truce

No doubt it will be on Match Of The Day at some time....

Some rather premature judgements, perhaps. I caught the last part and shall listen to the rest on iPlayer; the half hour I heard was about the Footballers' Battalion and the impact of the war on European football rather than the Truce. According to the programme, the war was a crucial catalyst for the popularity of football in countries like France, previously it had been very much an Anglocentric game. This was something I hadn't considered before. Taff Gillingham was on the panel and punctured a few myths. The presenter Mike Ingham, who at one point visited the Somme with the family of a professional footballer killed at Contalmaison, was clearly genuinely interested in the topic.

Shock! Horror!! Michty me!!!

Taff 'Grinch' Gillingham and Chris 'Scrooge' Baker are all over the Grauniad pooh-poohing the Christmas Football Game. Hard to believe, I know, but follow the link -

http://www.theguardian.com/world/2014/dec/16/truce-trenches-football-tales-shot-in-dark

They'll be saying the Kaiser never sold pies at half time next! Thank the Lord they haven't turned their heretical gaze upon the Angel of Mons.

Mind, on BBC News 24 a chap has just stated unequivocally that "..there's a very famous photograph of soldiers on both sides playing a game of football". Perhaps Chris and Taff missed that. :whistle: