Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Sainsbury's Christmas Advert

Stebie9173

Sounds like a kitsch-en sink drama.

I see the statue is called 'All together now' the song of the same name has been released as a charity single, even more exploitation by the football industry as the descent into kitsch continues.

Ken

I may be wrong but I thought all proceeds from said single is going to the Red cross and other world wide charities (just going to hide behind the settee now!)

I may be wrong but I thought all proceeds from said single is going to the Red cross and other world wide charities (just going to hide behind the settee now!)

I don't know, but if all the proceeds are going to the Red Cross, then that's a bit different from a percentage of the money raised from chocolate bars going to the RBL, while Sainsbury's pocket all the 'good-will'?

Mike

I don't know, but if all the proceeds are going to the Red Cross, then that's a bit different from a percentage of the money raised from chocolate bars going to the RBL, while Sainsbury's pocket all the 'good-will'?

Mike

All money raised from the sale of the chocolate bars is going to the Royal British Legion

http://www.britishlegion.org.uk/about-us/news/remembrance/sainsburys-and-the-legion-partner-to-bring-ww1-christmas-truce-story-to-life

" Selling the WW1 chocolate bar featured in the ad in Sainsbury's stores for £1, with all profits donated to the Legion " Wonder how much it costs to produce a bar, and how many were/are being made. They seem to be scarce.

Mike

Our Royal British Legion

" Though many of these activities take place within the two weeks leading up to Remembrance Day, Sainsbury’s make concerted efforts throughout the year, such as the option to add a £1.00 donation into your online shopping basket. " Isn't that so nice of them? :wacko:

Mike

So you're whining about a company using advertising that benefits both them and a charity?? They are a business so they have to aim to gain something from a free giveaway even if it is only advertising...... So, I take it that your view is that Sainsburys shouldn't have done it even if a worthwhile charity benefits?

So you're whining about a company using advertising that benefits both them and a charity?? They are a business so they have to aim to gain something from a free giveaway even if it is only advertising...... So, I take it that your view is that Sainsburys shouldn't have done it even if a worthwhile charity benefits?

Is trying to express the opposite view to yours (however badly) "whining"?

Sainsbury's did it purely to add to their brand image. They could have donated X amount without fanfare. Their advert/gimmick has worked incredibly well.

Mike

And the group singing the 'charity' song isn't raising their profile?

Mikey, give in. You know it makes sense

But they're giving all the money away, and, anyway, the group's a one off isn't it?

Next re-brand will be Saintsbury's?

Mike

No Mike. They are giving all the profits to charity. 'The profits' mean the gross amount taken, less expenses. EXACTLY THE SAME AS SAINSBURYS ARE DOING.

The 'group' is The Farm plus numerous others who have come together in a Band Aid style act of charity.

The Farm had hits back in the eighties with songs such as All Together Now (funnily enough), Groovy Train and Rising Sun amongst others. They will raise their profile again by this song - by how much is yet to be seen, as will others who joined in. I'm not saying their intentions aren't altruistic, but they will profit.

OK, I wasn't particularly defending it. It's a farm, bound to stink?

Where will it end, and at what point does everyone begin to detect the undoubted odour of it all?

Mike

I shall have to go back and read exactly what he said, i don't recall that aspect of it. Certainly he didn't like it personally, but that doesn't mean quite the same thing.

Tomorrow. It's sleepy time now!

Me and Professor Sheffield... but once the taste of the chocolate has gone, there will be a reckoning of the scales. :whistle:

Mike

I see what you did there...

:thumbsup:

I think a part of people's comfort (or lack thereof) in regards to this particular stunt/approach/whatever is cultural. I was raised that charity (Tsedakah) is best an anonymous affair, the idea being that you are giving because of the need rather than for the recognition you might receive that you gave. I am vastly oversimplfying this perhaps, but if a charity is near and dear, I usually just give anonymously (or at the very least privately) and call it a day. If I wanted to contribute to the RBL it would not take a chocolate bar to get me to pony up the cashish.

For those who did buy some chocolate, I am in no way saying my way of giving is better or your was was not as good, etc., just stating my own personal philosophy and approach and my interpretation of 'The Great Sainsbury Incident of 2014'.

:hypocrite:

-Daniel

But in this case the individual isn't just "giving". He is "getting" something in return. It is just human nature. If everyone gave freely to whomever needed it, there would be no need to fund raise. The local friends of the orchestra, bought a Mercedes, for which they paid money. The proceeds of the raffle, LESS the COST of the car,were turned over to the orchestra. Do you seriously believe that they could have raised the funds to save the orchestra, by simply noising abroad that they were broke, and hoping that everyone would get out their cheque books? No, they forked out the $30.00 a ticket in the hope that they might get the Mercedes. The principle is the same for the rather less expensive, but more financially accessible, chocolate bar.

Hazel C.

P.S. St. Michael. I think you win the prize for tenacity in the face of stiff opposition.

I think Daniel has described the what I am smelling rather well.

Thank you Hazel. I'm really not just letting go just for the sake of it. I genuinely feel something 'not quite right about it', and, I don't think your analogy quite works.

Mike

I agree with you Daniel, about Charitable giving. It should really be anonymous.

However, I've been given one of the chocolate bars by the school that I gave the talk to (along with a hand made poppy and 'thank you' card made by the class). So I didn't contribute to the RBL (or Sainsburys) and I still got the chocolate.
Am I a bad person?

I agree with you Daniel, about Charitable giving. It should really be anonymous.

However, I've been given one of the chocolate bars by the school that I gave the talk to So I didn't contribute to the RBL (or Sainsburys) and I still got the chocolate.

Am I a bad person?

No I don't think so. You received a gift for Christmas, you would have been a bad person to refuse it? Mike