Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Sainsbury's Christmas Advert

Stebie9173

Well, don't ask me about uniforms (apart from the East Surrey cap badge) but I think someone on TV has managed to do something just about right:

http://www.itv.com/news/2014-11-12/sainsburys-moving-christmas-ad-recreates-rare-truce-during-world-war-1/

They even managed to use a unit that was there....

Steve.

P.S. Use of a certain word was unavoidable...

EDIT:

Though much of this topic consists of the merits of the connection between charity (The British Legion) and commerce (Sainsbury), Taff Gillingham has posted a reply on the authenticity of the production on page 16 of this topic (post #341).

Edited by Stebie9173

Well, don't ask me about uniforms (apart from the East Surrey cap badge) but I think someone on TV has managed to do something just about right:

http://www.itv.com/news/2014-11-12/sainsburys-moving-christmas-ad-recreates-rare-truce-during-world-war-1/

Most cap badges used were Norfolks... :hypocrite:

http://postimg.org/image/7xzycbh9n/

Sainsbury_filming_cap_pic.jpg

Advert viewable here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NWF2JBb1bvM

Behind-the-scenes film here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?annotation_id=annotation_3489963635&feature=iv&src_vid=NWF2JBb1bvM&v=Jx3pQWbysmM

Story of the truce (with some unused film) here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?annotation_id=annotation_148824475&feature=iv&src_vid=NWF2JBb1bvM&v=2s1YvnfcFVs

Steve.

P.S. Use of a certain word was unavoidable...

Steve,

Very moving, and very appropriate for Christmas 2014.

Thanks for sharing.

Regards,

LF

Even though many people will likely disagree, I think that was beautiful. I forgot it was supposed to be an ad.

Thanks,

Hazel C.

Excuse the pun, but I'll stick my head above the parapet and put my cynicism to one side and say I think it's excellently done, very 'believable'.

well played Sainsbury's well played.

Rather moving, and they used Germans as well marvelous.

Well I'm one who was cynical as to Sainsbury's motives. However, the 'How we made it...' video (along with RBL's endorsement) has convinced me to change my mind. When I next see the ad I will watch it a lot more sympathetically.

It's good 'cos Taff had a hand in it!

Well done to all the Khaki Chums who participated in it.

Blummin lovely advert, and the proceeds from the chocolate bar goes to the RBL, yay :)

I thought they were Cheshire badges and a Middlesex badge.

As for the advert ... loved it.

There can be no excuses for using any such event in the Great War in a product advert - whatever the distribution of profits to charity, whatever its artistic merits. Marketing men do not make decisions for any other reason than image enhancement for the manufacturer. Whatever the flannel they offer us is all about image and reputation for those nioce people at Sainbury's.

Dissenter

You are right Steven as usual. And that makes even more sense as they were the ones who mentioned the football match.

On closer inspection the Norfolks are in there as well.

I hear what you are saying David. I defend your right to say it. I just happen to disagree with what you say on this occasion.

Steve.

Who won the "real/actual" 1914 football match?

The Germans won 3-2 apparently.

However, I was NEVER offside!

Yours faithfully,

E Blackadder (Capt.)

Based on the GWF C. Card I believe!

Liked it.

Where is Seadog?

I will be purchasing a couple of bars of chocolate.Where are they available? :hypocrite:

Beautifully made.

Clearly building on the football match allegedly played by the 1/6th Cheshires (note the TF shoulder titles one one of the 'Khaki Chums' talking about the **ahem** authenticity -where is the mud or does the German army have combat dry cleaning?). I am not sure that many academics would agree this alleged episode took place, but let's not let facts get in the way of a good story advert.

Personally I am uncomfortable about associating corporates with charities. Clearly the British Legion does not mind allowing its name to be associated with corporates. I note in the Sainsbury's guff they talk about donating all the 'profits'. The problem is that some of the benefits from this are not only measured as 'profits'. Some of the benefits are intangible (goodwill, branding, etc). A corporate balance sheet will capitalise marketing costs as it creates brand value and goodwill - something that helps value a company. For example, goodwill on Sainsbury's balance sheet stands at £100m (FY 2013 Reports and accounts). In the case of this association with the British Legion, it is unclear to me how Sainsbury's separates this intangible benefit. I wonder what value has been ascribed to this. All the nice warm stuff on their website is immediately above direct links to recipes and...er....buying the ingredients. One wonders how much of the 'profits' from products one click away from the charity page are donated.

For me the concept of a charity has no place in corporate marketing for the simple fact the benefits are not all tangible. There is a simple question: Does Sainsbury's (in this case) benefit in any way? I simply don't understand why corporates don't make donations and be done with it. Preferably anonymously. That would be charitable and there would be no blurred lines between promoting a charity and brand marketing.

That aside, a nice advert that looks understandably similar to a dreadful film called Joyeux Noel. MG

I found it very moving, goose bumps all over.

Roger

Did you know, Sainsbury's is probably the only company (I haven't looked into this so can't say it's absolutely the only one) who holds off Christmas advertising until after Armistice Day, out of respect, hence the advert first being shown last night.

I suppose if they wanted to be really so unscrupulous they'd have aired it ahead of all their competitors who don't hold off their competitive advertising, vying for customers and possibly detracting from RBL fund raising efforts.

Apart from Sainsbury's name I didn't see any product being advertised last night - oh except for the chocolate, the proceeds of which goes to RBL.

I'm another dissenter. One expects adverts to be well made and directed at the emotions these days. This one left a nasty taste in the mouth. Ultimately it's war profteering.

Cheers Martin B

Very well done Sainsbury's! Regardless of some members' disagreement I thought it very moving and like Hazel forgot it was supposed to be an ad.

Anne

Very well done Sainsbury's! Regardless of some members' disagreement I thought it very moving and like Hazel forgot it was supposed to be an ad.

Anne

You're meant to forget, but it'll affect you subliminally, and next time you're in Sainsbury's you'll see one of those choc bars and quite possibly buy one. Why not give the whole of what it costs straight to the RBL?

Cheers Martin B

I think some of the thought (about the chocolate) is that the main RBL funding 'season' has passed and people's thoughts now move on to Christmas. What do people buy at Christmas? Chocolate!