Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Sainsbury's Christmas Advert

Stebie9173

I have only seen the ad once and that was a day or so after seeing what was on the link we had right at the beginning and that seemed to be a shortened version. Has what is available on YouTube been shown in full on TV? Are there different versions?

This morning I was able to visit a different branch than my local Sainsbury's so I have now managed to sample the chocolate. A bit too milky for my taste but I've saved a bar for Christmas as I won't be getting anymore.

regards

Indefatigable

Edited by Indefatigable

I have only seen the ad once and that was a day or so after seeing what was on the link we had right at the beginning and that seemed to be a shortened version. Has what is available on YouTube been shown in full on TV? Are there different versions?......

regards

Indefatigable

The whole advert.

Dear All.

As I mentioned in an earlier thread, It shows compassion between soldiers at that time before the mincing machine started up in later years.Yes its an advert and is light hearted and clean, did anyone expect them to make it so realistic like clearing the bodies and burying them.I personally think that it has made a lot of people ask especially youngsters did that happen in wartime (the next generation that might take up the interest in the Great War) when we have all gone.Unfortunately we all live in a consumer world and we are not now known as human beings, but consumers.If it means selling a product to raise money for a charity like the Royal British Legion then so be it.Its not the first time adverts about the Great War have been on TV, what about the Manikin Cigar advert back in the 70s, 2 soldiers one German and one British stumble into each other in a trench and stop and share a cigar together, even that may have taken place who Knows.Anyway I've had my bitch.I say to all who don't like the add just take it for what it is, after all some of the money is going to charities for the armed services.When you think about it nothing has changed since the days of the Napoleonic wars, governments have never done anything for the soldiers and sailors of this country. Scum of the Earth is what Wellington said about them.Its always been down to the men and women in the street to help them and God bless them for doing it,My view on the chocolate, I find it just as nice as Cadburys.I also found out that Jos Stone and Jeff Beck recorded a song which was promoted in their video among the poppies at the Tower of London. Has any of the proceeds of the recording go to the charities, it probably did, so you can see that its all interlinked now in this consumer world of ours. Hope I have not offended anybody with my comments Regards Andy

Kind Regards Andy

Given the number of pages it might be helpful if Steve could amend the title or opening post to include "see page 16" or similar so anyone new to the thread can find the historical adviser's (Taff)comments without having to read through 15 pages

I have edited the first post of this topic. Thanks for pointing out Taff's reply I had missed the diamond among the rocks, having given up on the topic several days ago.

Steve

Having just opened one of the bars purchased the other evening and enjoying the contents immensely (I think it tastes half way between today's milk and plain chocolate, none of that sickly sweetness but nothing too bitter either. A rather pleasing taste!). I was saying it was based on an original 100 year old Belgium recipe. Trying to evidence this (haven't found it thus far, but know I've seen it somewhere), I did come across the extract below. Thought some of you might find it interesting and perhaps next time anyone has a trench experience (real or re-enacted) they may like to bake some!

"Every aspect of the production, everything from the depth of the trenches to the insignia on the uniforms is historically accurate. Even the hard biscuit we see the British soldier eating was baked to the original recipe

The original biscuit recipe

To make the biscuit that the British soldiers ate from the original recipe you will need:

4 x cups of Flour

2 x cups of Water

4 x teaspoons of Salt

Mix together the ingredients, roll out to 1/2 inch thick and bake for an hour at 375ºF turning once"

• Admin

Kim

I think the fact it was made from a 100 year old recipe was mentioned in the 'making of' video on you tube.

Ken

PS you'll be in trouble again first the shopping channel now a recipe :thumbsup:

Would have tasted better if they had grated some of the Sainsbury's chocolate into it. Sounds like a thick version of the stuff that surrounds that Scottish abomination called black bun, which was sent to some of the soldiers for New Year.

Hazel C.

Would have tasted better if I could get some. Sainsbury's at Hedge End (near Southampton) had none again today: indeed, my housekeeper tells me there wasn't even an empty display - no display at all.

Kim

I think the fact it was made from a 100 year old recipe was mentioned in the 'making of' video on you tube.

Ken

PS you'll be in trouble again first the shopping channel now a recipe :thumbsup:

Thanks for the reminder of where I saw it, Ken.

I don't see why the discussion of the biscuits shouldn't be relevant though. The biscuit featured in the ad, we're discussing the ad. Surely we're not restricted to only discussing certain aspects of said ad?

PS: 17 year old daughter seems to love the chocolate. She took a bar to school to share with friends who all agreed it was lovely. She has now gone babysitting and has liberated another one to take with her.

Time to look out for more in the shops methinks!

Hazel

Your ancestors will be birlin' re your insult to black bun. It puts hairs on your chest which may be useful for the oncoming winter in British Columbia.

Kim

Plenty of the chocolate left in my local Sainsburys today. May not suit our more discerning pallet North of the Border.

Douglas

Kim

Surely the recipe requires some fat of some description. What prevents the mixture from sticking to the baking sheet. Can you add currants, sultanas or raisins to the mixture or is that the height of luxury?

regards

Indefatigable

Actually Kim, I am really pleased you posted the biscuit recipe because that would be something interesting for the kids do at school so they could see what the soldiers had in their diet. I'll suggest it next time I see the teacher.

We may even have a go at it ourselves, they sound truly dreadful but I bet they lasted a long time without deteriorating.

Hazel

Your ancestors will be birlin' re your insult to black bun. It puts hairs on your chest which may be useful for the oncoming winter in British Columbia.

I swear that my granny used to buy that stuff before christmas, eat a token piece herself(never saw any visitors eat it) then throw it out after the New Year! And you need more than hair to keep warm in this neck of the woods. It is -18 today.

Hazel

Kim

Surely the recipe requires some fat of some description. What prevents the mixture from sticking to the baking sheet. Can you add currants, sultanas or raisins to the mixture or is that the height of luxury?

regards

Indefatigable

Actually, what I failed to include was that the recipe was from the Sainsburys' website. It's an original recipe so, if it's wrong (or even right) I wouldn't know, sorry.

I suppose you could add other ingredients if you wanted to, but then it wouldn't be from the original recipe.

Actually Kim, I am really pleased you posted the biscuit recipe because that would be something interesting for the kids do at school so they could see what the soldiers had in their diet. I'll suggest it next time I see the teacher.

We may even have a go at it ourselves, they sound truly dreadful but I bet they lasted a long time without deteriorating.

You'll have to let us know how they taste Andy (rather you than me I'd say, looking at that recipe!)

Hazel

In Scotland, people would first foot their neighbours on Hogmanay with a bottle of whisky, a piece of black bun and a bit of coal for the fire. Any attempt to throw the black bun on the fire was strongly resisted. Stick with the black bun : it will outlast this Sainsbury's chocolate fad.

Douglas

Yik! Although one could be forgiven for mistaking the stuff for peat.

H.

Amazingly, I actually know one of the top bakers for Sainsburys so I'll ask him.

One thing jumped out at me, in chief_chums excellent post:

"Since last Thursday night I have been inundated with messages from teachers all over the country with requests for my detailed explanation of the background to the ad and the use of corroborated primary sources".

Surely the future of our youngsters is in good hands when teachers take the need for using primary sources so seriously.

(And as I have to buy chocolate for Christmas I will choose the Sainsbury's bars because of the donation to the RBL.)

CGM

Oh, and I forgot - I was going to ask why it is OK to feature the Christmas Truce in 2 Christmas cards sold in aid of 2 projects (hope projects is an OK description) but not to feature it in aid of a supermarket and the RBL ?

Just wondering....

As I mention on another thread, the British Council/FA/Football League initiative 'Football Remembers' featured a well-produced booklet for schools which includes an array of primary sources about the Truce and other footballing connections with the war. I have adapted some of this and used it as a resource to support the watching of the advert; for example identifying the omission in the film of features such as burying of the dead, which appears in several of the eyewitness accounts. The booklet does consider the debate as to whether the football matches actually took place.