Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Who is This ? ? ?

Stoppage Drill

Who is this musician???Particularly relevant today down under 25th.

20190424_211927.png.f26b50b35de829db3782c77bdfa60750.png

Trumpet/cornet player. 

Edited by neverforget

For the first time since the late Jurassic era I actually know who this chap is. Honest. I'll keep schtum for the time being. And he is very appropriate for today

Pete.

10 hours ago, Fattyowls said:

For the first time since the late Jurassic era I actually know who this chap is. Honest. I'll keep schtum for the time being. And he is very appropriate for today

Pete.

Hopefully you will call time before the end of the day Pete. 🎶🎶

He is particularly known by Diggers and Johnnies, for a tune composed by a Jerry.

Edited by neverforget

4 minutes ago, Uncle George said:

Is he Ted McMahon?

The very same U.G. Well played.

He came to be known as the man who stopped the war.

I thought him a suitable choice to mark Anzac Day.

https://thenewdaily.com.au/news/national/2019/04/24/world-war-i-ted-mcmahon/

Edited by neverforget

Thanks for that

A very appropriate subject for today

and I have to admit, a man and his story which I did not know of previously

Another to mark the day.

20190425_111325.png.9d15201d94130266aad92752574ff177.png

Very brave gentleman with a unique distinction who survived the war. 

4 minutes ago, Uncle George said:

Is he child murderer and Broadmoor patient Robert Coombes?

https://paulineconolly.com/2018/the-redemption-of-robert-coombes/

He isn't, but what an interesting read that was Uncle George. Many thanks for that.

My chap wasn't a Digger.

I particularly liked this bit about Coombes:

"The regimented life of the army was similar to that at the asylum, offering him  security  and  camaraderie. "

Ron

Working on the assumption that you have worked out that my chap is a Kiwi, he was initially rejected for service on the grounds of his diminutive height. Eventually accepted as a sapper, he worked his way through the ranks to retire from the military having gained the rank of Lt. Colonel. 

He was recommended for a Military Cross, but this was not granted. 

Saw action at Egypt, Gallipoli, and the Western Front. 

A first and only.....

1 hour ago, Knotty said:

I’m not supposed to be participating today, but I could not resist as you’ve given it away NF, he was the only Kiwi to win a VC at Gallipoli, namely Cyril Bassett. 

https://teara.govt.nz/en/biographies/3b15/bassett-cyril-royston-guyton

Sorry for the delayed resonse; been under the cosh at the hands of the ankle-biters.

Quite correct John and perfectly described. That's about it it for my Anzac day efforts.  One Digger and one Kiwi. 

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cyril_Bassett

Following Ron’s identification of D’Urbal, here’s another General:

“ ... he had what the French call panache, the natural gift of making a brave military show wherever he appeared, a sober chic which appealed to them. Everything about [him] seemed designed to appeal to the French; his fine appearance, his chivalry, his manners. Aloof he was perhaps, but that was no matter; the French understood and appreciated reserve.”

Who is he ? ? ?

Louis Franchet d'Espèrey?

29 minutes ago, neverforget said:

Louis Franchet d'Espèrey?

Non. Here’s someone else’s assessment:

But he is a very great char

71C915D2-FD33-4030-97A4-94ADE226A0BF.jpeg

most sympathetic”

Edited by Uncle George

A third take on our beau sabreur:

“ .., he was not endowed with any of the elements of imagination and vision which determine the line of demarcation between genius and ordinary capacity. And he certainly had none of that personal magnetism which has enabled great leaders of men to inspire multitudes with courage, faith and a spirit of sacrifice.”

De Castelnau?

Ron

49 minutes ago, Ron Clifton said:

De Castelnau?

Ron

Not him, no. My chap commanded a Corps until promotion to Army command in December 1914.

C56374F3-6BB1-4C3C-A952-05DD758DBD7B.jpeg

22 hours ago, Uncle George said:

Following Ron’s identification of D’Urbal, here’s another General:

“ ... he had what the French call panache, the natural gift of making a brave military show wherever he appeared, a sober chic which appealed to them. Everything about [him] seemed designed to appeal to the French; his fine appearance, his chivalry, his manners. Aloof he was perhaps, but that was no matter; the French understood and appreciated reserve.”

Who is he ? ? ?

Looking again at this description, I am led away from the notion that this is a French general.

If he is in fact English, then Haig would seem to fit the bill, but I'm no doubt barking up the wrong tree as per usual.

16 minutes ago, neverforget said:

Looking again at this description, I am led away from the notion that this is a French general.

If he is in fact English, then Haig would seem to fit the bill, but I'm no doubt barking up the wrong tree as per usual.

You’ve seen through my little red herrings. Yes, Haig himself. A surprising description from Spears (‘Prelude to Victory’) in #11763; an unsurprisingly ungenerous assessment from Ll.G’s ‘Memoirs’ in #11766. Spears again in #11768.

#11765 is from ‘The Anvil of War - Letters from F. S. Oliver and his Brother 1914-18’ (1936).

Well played. But again: English?

9 minutes ago, Uncle George said:

You’ve seen through my little red herrings. Yes, Haig himself. 

Well played. But again: English?

Quite so. I stand corrected. 😊

Just to point out to frequent posters that the Mods have tightened up their interpretation of the Forum rules. From now on, all posted illustrations must identify their source, or they will be deleted without warning. I assume that this refers to illustrations such as that in post 11768* as well as actual portraits.

Ron

*PS Not getting at you specifically, UG - it just happens to be the most recent example.

22 minutes ago, Ron Clifton said:

Just to point out to frequent posters that the Mods have tightened up their interpretation of the Forum rules. From now on, all posted illustrations must identify their source, or they will be deleted without warning. I assume that this refers to illustrations such as that in post 11768* as well as actual portraits.

Ron

*PS Not getting at you specifically, UG - it just happens to be the most recent example.

Thanks Ron but I must say I was surprised at your post on the ’Haig despatch’ thread; I was going to add something, but decided against. I was surprised because we on this thread are well aware of this requirement - for instance, the source of my #11768 is given in my #11770. I think it was a post by nf and a Mod’s reply thereto that established that the source may be given in later posts - otherwise the whole point of this little game is lost.

I must confess that I have no doubt been guilty of the occasional oversight in this department, but will endeavour to comply fully in all future posts. 

As Uncle George says; the Mods agreed that it is acceptable to provide sources once the candidate has been solved, otherwise the whole thing does become unworkable.