Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Who is This ? ? ?

Stoppage Drill

5 minutes ago, Knotty said:

Ok I will try Gabrielle D’Annunzio who “bombed” Vienna with thousands of leaflets.

D'Annunzio it is. Well played.

D'Annunzio and Harukichi Shimoi both collaberated to promote Ferrarin's record breaking flight, so that is something else that links the three of them, apart from all serving in the Italian armed forces.

Shimoi and D'annunzio were both poets as previously stated, and both served to promote Mussolini and Facism in Italy between the wars.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Harukichi_Shimoi

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gabriele_D'Annunzio

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arturo_Ferrarin

That was a good bit of fun NF and well played H just beat me as NF pointed out.

Have a go at this chap, not the first or last but a penultimate in 1918.

2CEFDD66-1E67-4319-BC94-9A8726DE475D.jpeg

Well my first hunch went nowhere except to dig up a new chap for WIT.

Getting nowhere with this yet. I'm hopeless at uniforms etc but is it safe to assume that he is an officer?

Commissioned on 30 Nov 1914 as 2nd Lt in 12th Battalion Northumberland Fusiliers, on 1st April 1916 he became a Lieutenant RFC.

Ah That reinforces how far off I was with my initial thoughts. 😊

I think I might have him. Is it Richard Raymond Barker?

This from "Voices in flight" by Martin Bowman:

20190329_190104.png.133de8c80a5a834099376f2e7f95efb6.png

Well played NF, you have him. 

He was the Red Baron’s 79th victim and the last airman he killed in action on the 20th April 1918. (His last, 80th victim, 2nd Lt David Lewis was wounded but survived). The following day, 21st April, Richthofen was killed.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Richard_Raymond-Barker

Edited by Knotty
Added Wikipedia

Was this a case of E.S.P?

If so, not a happy one.

20190330_092728.png.d24d604dee27a0be4cdf3446f940c732.png

Another "first".

Edited by neverforget

I will pass on this NF, I knew you were going to put him up at some stage😁, he is also in my repertoire of possible WIT candidates.

11 minutes ago, Knotty said:

I knew you were going to put him up at some stage😁

Another case of E.S.P. then?😨

Ah, the initials were a bit of a giveaway. A SAD story.

Ron

Shall we try one without a picture, just to liven things up a bit. And no, he is not one of my relatives.

He was a subaltern with a rifle battalion, though he did not die in a theatre of land operations. The manner of his death brought comment from Woodrow Wilson.

His father, with whom he shared two of his rather unusual Christian names, was a vicar until the outbreak of war.

Ron

Been trying, but can't get anywhere with that one yet. 

Hello Knotty

If you are referring to my post 1687, no, both countries involved were belligerents.

Ron

Let's put my post #11683 to bed please, as the thread seems to have stagnated somewhat.

One of just three to suffer a similar fate, his name is inscribed on a family grave in a Surrey churchyard. 

Sorry NF I was under the impression he had been identified, he is 2nd Lt Eric Skeffington Poole, a Canadian by birth, serving with the West Yorkshire Regiment, he was given a general court martial in 1916, found guilty and he became the first British officer to be shot at dawn for desertion.

http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/pathways/firstworldwar/people/poole.htm

24 minutes ago, Knotty said:

Sorry NF I was under the impression he had been identified, he is 2nd Lt Eric Skeffington Poole, a Canadian by birth, serving with the West Yorkshire Regiment, he was given a general court martial in 1916, found guilty and he became the first British officer to be shot at dawn for desertion.

http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/pathways/firstworldwar/people/poole.htm

Thank you John. E.S.Poole. it is.

As you correctly state he served with 11th btn West Yorks, which was my great uncle John's battalion, so undoubtedly he would have discussed Poole's case with his pals. I've looked at the btn war diary for Dec 16, but can find no reference to the execution. 

17 minutes ago, neverforget said:

I've looked at the btn war diary for Dec 16, but can find no reference to the execution. 

Have you looked at the files in WO154? These are items extracted from the A&Q war diaries of various divisions and corps, and appear to relate to the capital cases.

Ron

2 minutes ago, Ron Clifton said:

Have you looked at the files in WO154? These are items extracted from the A&Q war diaries of various divisions and corps, and appear to relate to the capital cases.

Ron

I haven't, as I wasn't aware of the facility, so thanks for the nod. Would I have to buy them?

2 hours ago, Ron Clifton said:

Ron

I've performed a search for Skeffington Poole in the search box, but it returned zero results.

Here is the reference to his court martial file:

GENERAL COURTS MARTIAL 
WO 71/1027 Poole, E. S. Offence: Desertion 1916  

I don't think that these files have been digitised, so you would probably have to make a personal visit to Kew.

Good luck!

Ron

4 minutes ago, Ron Clifton said:

Here is the reference to his court martial file:

GENERAL COURTS MARTIAL 
WO 71/1027 Poole, E. S. Offence: Desertion 1916  

I don't think that these files have been digitised, so you would probably have to make a personal visit to Kew.

Good luck!

Ron

Ok thanks Ron. How about another clue to help your bloke along?

He is buried in Dublin, but there is also a Leinster connection.

Ron