Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Who is This ? ? ?

Stoppage Drill

Hi Ron 

I have come up with a Dublin burial of a Lt B E McGusty of the 3rd battalion Leinster Regt.

Unable to come up with any names to the initials.....can I scrub him from my search?

Think I have answered my question,see my later post

Edited by Knotty

33 minutes ago, chaz said:

That's fantastic chaz, thanks a bunch. It's a little chilling to read the account of his trial etc. Especially in his own words. I know the whole S.A.D. thing is a contentious issue, and while there undoubtedly were some cases where little mitigation could be put forward, there were also, just as certainly in my view, cases where genuine shell-shock played a huge role. Not everyone can be lumped together and tarred with the same brush.

The last couple of paragraphs of the first page give an insight as to why I could find no mention of his execution in the btn diary.

Many thanks again for finding and posting. Very interesting read and most appreciated. 👍

Edited by neverforget

That’s the same link I sent to you NF....mine not good enough then😢

Lol

Edited by Knotty

sorry Knotty, just googled him as wife has interest in SAD cases and she photographs the graves.... well she had the pictures, until we were burgled and her note pad was lifted..

suppose we will have to do some again....I did take the opportunity to copy the majority.

12 minutes ago, Knotty said:

That’s the same link I sent to you NF....mine not good enough then😢

Lol

Sorry John, I do apologise. I was multi-tasking when your post came through and didn't get round to clicking on the link. I think I must have thought it was the same one where I found him. Forgive me this once and I promise not to do it again. I've given myself 100 lines as punishment. 🤕

I suppose you were still cogitating over the Blues performance on Friday night😀

Apologise for going off topic

Edited by Knotty

4 minutes ago, Knotty said:

I suppose you were still cogitating over the Blues performance on Friday night😀

Apologise for going off topic

The less said about that sorry state of affairs the better, mate.

I was spud-bashing actually with it being Mother's day and all. Also looking into finding a Weymouth hotel to stay at over Easter, so I can take my 2 Brummie granddaughters to visit my daughter and 2 long-distance granddaughters. 

Me again Ron

Going to put forward Lt Anchitel Edward Fletcher Boughey, 8th Battalion Rifle Brigade, son of Rev Anchitel Harry Fletcher Boughey, who drown in the Irish Sea when the RMS Leinster was sunk 10/10/1918.

Still struggling to find a Wilson reference.

9 hours ago, Knotty said:

Congrats on what looks like the probable answer here

Wilson had been approached by the Germans with peace overtures and an exchange of ideas ensued

This was interrupted however by the sinking of the RMS Leinster which prompted Wilson to say

“At the very moment that the German Government approaches the Government of the United States with proposals of peace, its submarines are engaged in sinking passenger ships at sea...”

[see Philip Lecane's (Oak on this forum) book 'Torpedoed', p85/6]

Hi Mdr

And there’s me trying to find a reference directly to Boughey....feeling a bit silly now😬

15 hours ago, Knotty said:

Me again Ron

Going to put forward Lt Anchitel Edward Fletcher Boughey, 8th Battalion Rifle Brigade, son of Rev Anchitel Harry Fletcher Boughey, who drown in the Irish Sea when the RMS Leinster was sunk 10/10/1918.

Spot on, Knotty - well done. His father was the vicar of my church and the son is commemorated on our war memorial - as is James Michael Cunningham, the son of Boughey's predecessor as vicar.

Michaeldr has correctly identified the Wilson reference. I note that you interpreted my Leinster allusion correctly - albeit at second guess.  :lol:

Ron

On 31/03/2019 at 22:21, Knotty said:

Me again Ron

Excellent deduction sir. Peaky blinder cap off to ya.

Edited by neverforget

If you ever find yourself becoming irritated in a lift, the fault may lie with this chap. But who is he, and what is his connection to Lord Kitchener ? ? ?

BDE8EC60-0678-402A-ABF9-FEFC1790F1F7.jpeg

EDIT: image from here http://www.nasonline.org/publications/biographical-memoirs/memoir-pdfs/squier-george-o.pdf

Edited by Uncle George

Is part 1 = General George Owen Squire who invented piped music?

Edited by Knotty

Part 2 = There was an awful amount of politics going on between the US and UK at the beginning of the war, with various attachés and diplomats involved at various levels within government departments.

One of the contingent in the UK was Squier, who was part of the Army observers. At a very early stage in the war, Kitchener (as Secretary of State for War) hatched a “plan” and invited Squier to visit the (BEF) front line, and he had carté blanche to go wherever he wanted to, despite there being a US embargo on such observations.

Squier was allowed to make detailed information in the form of a diary, and part of Kitcheners plan was the hope that it’s findings would eventually find there way back to Washington DC and along with diplomatic manoeuvring convince the US to enter the war.

Squier was under the impression the mission was purely to learn firsthand modern warfare, rather than it being a subtle form of diplomatic persuasion. The outcome was an account detailing in full the tactics and strategy of front line action. Due to the military detail involved Kitchener refused to let any neutral countries diplomats/observers view the account....................I think😬

Correct on all aspects. The attached is from Charles Callwell’s 1927 biography of Sir Henry Wilson:

https://archive.org/details/in.ernet.dli.2015.206957

And from Paul Clark’s 2014 biography of Squire:

https://books.google.com/books/about/George_Owen_Squier.html?id=sGOWAwAAQBAJ

B8F0BF08-BDA2-4DFE-BB1B-357AAF8297CE.jpeg

EEAA16AF-0E3D-4AD8-A216-49EF9255989C.jpeg

C46A8088-3D49-48F6-8711-6E016E45A256.jpeg

Edited by Uncle George

His commander called him "One of 10 great heroes."

20190402_163536.png.fd80b87d909a3b79c9cdbd8bca0b3a1e.png

2 minutes ago, Knotty said:

Medal of Honour winner?

Yes. 

6 minutes ago, Knotty said:

A survivor or a posthumous award?

Unfortunately he didn't survive his heroic action. 

He has a museum named in his honour.

There were 34 posthumous winner of MoH, of which only 7 were of a rank Private which I think he is.

First in the list is David B Barkley