Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Who is This ? ? ?

Stoppage Drill

Another actor by any chance?

(To save me another long journey down the wrong road.)

Before Knotty intervened i was leaning towards the Mad Major. Christopher Draper, DSC. 

4 hours ago, neverforget said:

Another actor by any chance?

(To save me another long journey down the wrong road.)

Not an actor but as my previous WIT, in the film business.

PS - Sorry for the delay in replying been out all morning, and will be again this afternoon

Edited by Knotty

Got him John. One of the top twenty German film directors. 

F.W. Murnau; director of Nosferatu

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/F._W._Murnau

Well played, thats the chap NF, couldn’t resist after my last WIT being Schreck playing Count Orlok in Nosferatu.

( Picture I used was a crop of a public Getty Image )

Edited by Knotty

Apologies to Gunner Hall, I forgot to acknowledge your answer.

I can see were you were coming from, bit of a character with a penchant for flying under bridges, and an actor as well, unfortunately not him.

John

During my search for John's latest chap, par for the course, I stumbled upon another W.I.T. candidate. That's enough of a clue to be going on with.

20190603_205627.png.b20483b79bb69f01fe130e04a93d52fc.png

EDIT:

Oh ok, another couple of clues. Stick to aviation. This is another film man and another crash survivor. Not German though.

Edited by neverforget

Is it the American film star, who flew in Canada, with the RFC....Richard Arlen?

i think he broke a leg in an accident.

10 minutes ago, Knotty said:

Is it the American film star, who flew in Canada, with the RFC....Richard Arlen?

i think he broke a leg in an accident.

Not him John. He was American though, and in the great war served as an ambulance person before becoming a pilot. Started his film career as an actor, but was unhappy in the role as he considered it "unmanly." Moved on to direct and also to produce. One or two of his films are very well known, and were award-winning. 

Ok Steve, it was an early start and I think I have identified him as American film director William Wellman, a member of the Lafayette Flying Corps.

20 minutes ago, Knotty said:

Ok Steve, it was an early start and I think I have identified him as American film director William Wellman, a member of the Lafayette Flying Corps.

You have him John, well played. Director of "Wings." I did have more clues lined up for this morning but they are now superfluous to requirements. 

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/William_A._Wellman

Picture taken from here:

Who are these three people, and what links them together? Or not unless, as Murray Walker once said, I am very much mistaken......

926955109_ThreeFaces.jpg.48128e31a57572cf8ebea51882ba585f.jpg

Where I found the images is a bit of a giveaway, so I'll reveal all at the end.

Pete.

aaaah … Uncle George beat me to it …. that one time I knew right from the start… too easy !!

M.

I’m afraid that is not him.

ps congrats on your number of postings...1234👍

Edited by Knotty

4 minutes ago, Knotty said:

I’m afraid that is not him.

ps congrats on your number of postings...1234👍

Ha ha! Congrats also for the longest name that anyone has ever typed on here. It deserved to be the correct answer purely on those grounds. (I haven't a clue by the way.)

5 hours ago, Uncle George said:

They are all photographs of Vesta Tilley.

4 hours ago, Marilyne said:

aaaah … Uncle George beat me to it …. that one time I knew right from the start… too easy !!

M.

Close, but no cigar. Two out of the three photos are Vesta Tilley, but one is not.

Would the lady in the middle be the wife of a serviceman who Tilley May have had a dalliance with?

You are on the right track John but dalliance isn't quite the word. As I suggested above I think Vesta Tilley was involved but I'm relying on my memory. The founder of our feast will know.......

Pete.

17 hours ago, Fattyowls said:

Who are these three people, and what links them together? 

Is the other woman Lela Leibrand? Whereas Vesta Tilley was said to be the country’s best recruiting sergeant, Lela Leibrand WAS a sergeant (in her case, in the United States Marine Corps). Lela was also Ginger Rogers’ mother.

If this is not the right answer it must at least get a few points as the most unlikely story.

Edited by Uncle George