Remembered Today:

Who is This ? ? ?

Stoppage Drill

45 minutes ago, Uncle George said:

Alan Seeger?

Nope.

4 minutes ago, seaJane said:

Nope.

No, the clues didn’t all fit, but your chap does look a lot like Seeger’s attached, from Wikipedia:

82D2C6E7-8D2D-4B14-992F-207D197A4DA3.jpeg

B2803B37-B230-4656-B5B4-7BEF1F4F455A.jpeg

52 minutes ago, neverforget said:

Edward Cummings?

Yes!

or e.e. cummings, to be precise.

Served in the ambulance corps.

"... openly expressed anti-war views; Cummings spoke of his lack of hatred for the Germans. On September 21, 1917, five months after starting his belated assignment, Cummings and William Slater Brown were arrested by the French military on suspicion of espionage and undesirable activities. They were held for three and a half months in a military detention camp ... "

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/E._E._Cummings

Picture from   https://www.amazon.com/Early-Poems-Cummings-Illustrated-ebook/dp/B004OYUFPI

Just now, Uncle George said:

No, the clues didn’t all fit, but your chap does look a lot like Seeger’s attached, from Wikipedia:

I see what you mean!

Yay!! Got one 😊😊

Beginner's luck. 

Long beginning! :D

6 minutes ago, seaJane said:

Long beginning! :D

I'm a very slow learner sJ. 😊

:P

I've had this one waiting for a while:

man1.jpg.7477981d3435a40d6749cf5ca7c33c78.jpg

I don't think that we have had him before. I think his father retired just before WW1, but was probably still well known in one part of the world at least.

For this man try to think between midnight and 04.00.

RM

Intrigued, but clueless I'm afraid rolt.

34 minutes ago, rolt968 said:

I've had this one waiting for a while:

man1.jpg.7477981d3435a40d6749cf5ca7c33c78.jpg

I don't think that we have had him before. I think his father retired just before WW1, but was probably still well known in one part of the world at least.

For this man try to think between midnight and 04.00.

RM

Ian ‘The Middle Watch’ Hay?

Just now, Uncle George said:

Ian ‘The Middle Watch’ Hay?

Very near, but no.

Apparently his sister wrote a novel which was filmed with Margaret Lockwood in the first version and Fay Dunnaway in the second.

On the grounds that that was "The Wicked Lady" the novel was The life and death of the wicked Lady Skelton by Magdalen King-Hall, which sounds like a combined Oxbridge pseudonym.

Wiki tells me that her brother was Stephen King-Hall, of whom I have never heard, but who did write a book called The middle watch.

1 hour ago, seaJane said:

On the grounds that that was "The Wicked Lady" the novel was The life and death of the wicked Lady Skelton by Magdalen King-Hall, which sounds like a combined Oxbridge pseudonym.

Wiki tells me that her brother was Stephen King-Hall, of whom I have never heard, but who did write a book called The middle watch.

Well done.

The clues were a bit too easy, perhaps?

He's usually credited as the co-author of (among others) the play The Middle Watch (3 film versions!) and also of Off the Record (which was later filmed as Carry on Admiral (nothing to do with the Carry on series)). He had an interesting career. I have detected the odd minor inaccuracies in this, but in general it's all right as far as I know.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stephen_King-Hall

(The Middle Watch was quite a favourite of am dram companies when I was a child.)

When I was young I remember hearing him talk on the radio about his immediate pre-WW1 naval career. He described an antiquated cruiser (the name of which I have mercifully forgotten) which was on a foreign station. Its guns were in such poor condition that the projectiles could be seen turning over and over on the way to the target.

This is his father:

Father1.jpg.d969c645757831399fb773d93352fe90.jpg

who had quite a bit to do with the setting up of the Royal Australian Navy which I did not know until I looked him up!

RM

Ref, can I call a time out???

The picture of Violet Jessop, also dubbed "Miss Unsinkable" the VAD who survived Titanic and both her ill-fated sister ships, was circulated and recognized in april 2014 ... this one :

298237201_VioletJessop-MissUnsinkable.jpg.8d1d61dd41cd97c7eb25a43b25648838.jpg

Now until just a few minutes ago, I was convinced that this was Sarash Macnaughtan, as the same picture is used on all modern covers of her memoirs:

1004134426_SarahMacnaughtanbook.jpg.42229249f8c9b5e7477e0fe578f0140b.jpg

This shows that identification can be quite tricky, now can it??? 

Anybody else notice this?? 

M;

41 minutes ago, Marilyne said:

Ref, can I call a time out???

The picture of Violet Jessop, also dubbed "Miss Unsinkable" the VAD who survived Titanic and both her ill-fated sister ships, was circulated and recognized in april 2014 ... this one :

298237201_VioletJessop-MissUnsinkable.jpg.8d1d61dd41cd97c7eb25a43b25648838.jpg

Now until just a few minutes ago, I was convinced that this was Sarash Macnaughtan, as the same picture is used on all modern covers of her memoirs:

1004134426_SarahMacnaughtanbook.jpg.42229249f8c9b5e7477e0fe578f0140b.jpg

This shows that identification can be quite tricky, now can it??? 

Anybody else notice this?? 

M;

A root around the internet suggests to me that the modern publishers have made a blunder.

Today is the anniversary of this chap becoming the first of his kind.20190328_091614.png.7e924d0a2d3c4badbe587c0cfe03ca3f.png

Sorry NF, but you are doing this far too often. You MUST give a more definite clue than "this chap becoming the first of his kind."

First German physicist to be poisoned by his own gas?

Ron

3 minutes ago, Ron Clifton said:

Ron

Fritz Haber had a more rotund face... not him.

But he does have the looks of a German "squint" ...

M.

Very well Ron. I will further submit that the incident to which I refer very nearly brought a neutral country into the war, and that the incident was in fact his death.

P.S. Quite right about Haber, Marilyne, but the above clue now rules him out as regards being German.

P P.S. The original post draws attention to the date.

Edited by neverforget

Just said "looks like"...

but I give my tongue to the cat!!!

M.

24 minutes ago, Ron Clifton said:

Sorry NF, but you are doing this far too often. You MUST give a more definite clue than "this chap becoming the first of his kind."

Ron

I'm baffled as to why you have taken this second occasion to criticise my posts on here Ron.

I would invite you to look back over the last few pages, and see if anyone complained about anyone else's initial posts, when clues were arguably more cryptic than the one I offered here, not to mention when no initial clue was offered at all.

6 minutes ago, Marilyne said:

Just said "looks like"...

but I give my tongue to the cat!!!

M.

He does have a very Germanic look about him, so please don't do anything so drastic with your tongue.

This might happen: