Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Who is This ? ? ?

Stoppage Drill

1 hour ago, Uncle George said:

Is the other woman Lela Leibrand? Whereas Vesta Tilley was said to be the country’s best recruiting sergeant, Lela Leibrand WAS a sergeant (in her case, in the United States Marine Corps). Lela was also Ginger Rogers’ mother.

If this is not the right answer it must at least get a few points as the most unlikely story.

9.9 for artistic impression from this judge mon oncle, but sadly not the answer. The clue is in the founder of our feast; not Mr Drill (who remains our chief of men), but of the whole forum. Although Vesta Tilley will have been seen by thousands in her career the lady in the middle has been seen by millions. And Marilyne may be at a disadvantage due to signal strength.....

Pete.

Medicate in my direction! She’s the great Hylda Baker, whose music hall career kicked off in 1915 and whose signature act featured Big Cynthia (a man in drag). 

If this is not the answer, it ought to be.

I cannot find the picture you have but could it be this lady Kathleen Morter as mentioned in the article below.

I have searched Tilley’s name in your Merseyside area and came up with this story about how she picked this lady’s husband as part of a recruitment campaign, with the inevitable sad consequences.

I remember seeing her when they showed the BBC War Interviews on the Home Front

https://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/news/nostalgia/real-lives-wish-could-go-6745689

I think she looks a bit like the lady in the middle

9B73F2F3-2237-4351-A10B-CB1CE49B9180.jpeg

Edited by Knotty

John, absolutely spot on, superb detective work. I didn't know that her family had a local connection, I know Rufford quite well so every day is a school day. Of all the inteviews in the Great War series Kitty Morter's almost matter of fact description of how Vesta Tilley caused her husband to enlist and how Kitty found out he'd been killed near La Boiselle was possibly the most powerful. There is something Hemingwayesque about it.

The cryptic clues were referring to the millions that watched the original series and that Chris Baker did the background research for the re-runs in 2014. And since it was shown on the BBC I'm not sure that Marilyne would be able to pick it up from Leuven.

Pete.

P.S. And can I say UG's wrong answers are kwolity with a capital K. Hylda Baker, she knows y'know.

Edited by Fattyowls

37 minutes ago, Fattyowls said:

And can I say UG's wrong answers are kwolity with a capital K. 

You can say that without fear of contraception.

45 minutes ago, Fattyowls said:

I didn't know that her family had a local connection, 

Hi Pete

Likewise,I did not realise that VT was born in Worcester at the Commandery.

As you say you find something new out everyday.

Excellent stuff chaps!👍

50 minutes ago, neverforget said:

Excellent stuff chaps!👍

Definitely, even the wrong answers are top. I am trying not to ponder too much on how it is that I can't get a WiT? for months and then get every cross dressing woman that gets posted. One for Mr Freud and Mr Jung (who fell out just as war was approaching in 1914 incidentally).

Pete.

P.S. Forgot to credit the sources of the photos. the two of Vesta are from Wikipedia and are public domain, the one of Kitty is from the BBC site. I'll try to pull my socks up metaphorically in the future.

Edited by Fattyowls

Hi All

Just bumping up my  WIT from post# 11840, as a clue, apart from a long name he was an Austrian cavalry officer. 1917-1918

Just now, Knotty said:

Hi All

Just bumping up my  WIT from post# 11840, as a clue, apart from a long name he was an Austrian cavalry officer. 1917-1918

I was just about to say that I'm sorry I haven't a clue on the teutonic long named one unless he is a woman dressed as a man......

Pete.

10 hours ago, Knotty said:

Hi All

How about Horst Freiherr Treusch von Buttlar-Brandenfels?

7 minutes ago, Knotty said:

Another long name UG, but alas not him either.

Is he film-related like his WIT predecessors?

Indeed he is NF, I will now hold off with my next clue (for a while).

Another "mitarbeiterstab" in the dark - Maximilian Maria Joseph Karl Gabriel Lamoral Reichsfreiherr von und zu Weichs an der Glon.

Well done in surpassing my number count, however not him Gunner😁

ps He is Austrian by birth.

Edited by Knotty

Ball park geography.  My chap was a Bavarian Cavalryman, in the first lot,  

While we search for John’s Austrian, let us not let this day pass without reference. Who is this ? ? ?

27405389-CAF9-4138-8848-E9CE75992DAA.jpeg

Could the Austrian chap be Friedrich Anton Maria Hubertus Bonifacius Graf von Ledebur-Wicheln??

M.

We have a winner, well played Marilyne.

Indeed it is Friedrich Anton Maria Hubertus Bonifacius Graf von Ledebur-Wicheln, or his shortened name for the cinema Frederick (or Frederick) von Ledbury, the actor who played Queequeg the harpooner in the 1956 version of Moby Dick.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Friedrich_von_Ledebur

The still photo I used was taken from the 1966 film The Blue Max where he played Feldmarschall von Lenndorf, who wanted to refuse giving the honour to the main player in the film.

1 hour ago, Uncle George said:

let us not let this day pass without reference.

A German General that had a bearing on today 6/6/44?

Edited by Knotty

28 minutes ago, Knotty said:

Who I usually mistake for Heinz Guderian when he appears here..........gets me every time.

Pete.

In costume for  "The Blue Max?    D**n.  I've spent the day looking for an Austrian in the OKH. 

49 minutes ago, Knotty said:

21 minutes ago, Fattyowls said:

Who I usually mistake for Heinz Guderian when he appears here..........gets me every time.

Yes indeed. But as Pete has pointed out, we’ve had him before. Sorry, should’ve checked.

Karl Rudolf Gerd Von Runstedt.   My time with the OKH, was not wasted.