Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Who is This ? ? ?

Stoppage Drill

It's one of my favourite bits of the whole western front; the view is amazing. I used to think that the Messines mines were on the ridge itself but they are mostly on spurs or forward slopes having visited them. Spanbroekmolen is the most prominent; ever since I read Rose Coombs say that you could see Loos and Vimy on a clear day I have been taking that same photo. Finally got this......

image.png.a6caedbeb0b635fc1a86e603c3abbc64.png

The two post WW1 slag heaps behind Loos with Vimy the long ridge to the left as you look.

Pete.

1 hour ago, Fattyowls said:

It's one of my favourite bits of the whole western front; the view is amazing. I used to think that the Messines mines were on the ridge itself but they are mostly on spurs or forward slopes having visited them. Spanbroekmolen is the most prominent; ever since I read Rose Coombs say that you could see Loos and Vimy on a clear day I have been taking that same photo. Finally got this......

image.png.a6caedbeb0b635fc1a86e603c3abbc64.png

The two post WW1 slag heaps behind Loos with Vimy the long ridge to the left as you look.

Pete.

Fantastic Pete. I left my copy of Rose Coombs' book at Benoir's apartment, in appreciation of his efforts to make our stay at Ypres as memorable as he could. I was more than happy to do so in the hope that future pilgrims might find it helpful. 

What a lovely guy Benoit Mottrie is. Anyone visiting Ypres will be all the more fulfilled by meeting him. Lovely fellow.

Ok, to keep things moving, again who is this. He looks familiar and may have been on previously.

C011C98A-9508-4FC9-A061-E81FB713B609.jpeg

17 minutes ago, Knotty said:

Ok, to keep things moving, again who is this. He looks familiar and may have been on previously.

C011C98A-9508-4FC9-A061-E81FB713B609.jpeg

Clifton James?

Let’s try this chap, probably best known for his shadow.

357E1C47-992E-4EE7-9506-F3BCD26AE878.jpeg

1 hour ago, Knotty said:

Let’s try this chap, probably best known for his shadow.

357E1C47-992E-4EE7-9506-F3BCD26AE878.jpeg

Is he Whispering Jack Smith? 

Max Schreck, who played the vampire Count Orlok in Nosferatu. As soon as I saw the shadow clue I got it. Good one John.

Pete.

1 hour ago, Fattyowls said:

Max Schreck, who played the vampire Count Orlok in Nosferatu. As soon as I saw the shadow clue I got it. Good one John.

Pete.

Well done Pete. I wasn't far behind you, about 95% to be exact.  I'd somehow guessed he was an actor, and German. Another couple of days and I might have got him.

Congrats Pete..... it’s a case of “must try harder” NF.😁

Yes Schreck it is👍

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Max_Schreck

Unfortunately the only record I have been able to turn up on his military record at the moment, is that he fought on the Western Front 1915-18

10 minutes ago, Knotty said:

Congrats Pete..... it’s a case of “must try harder” NF.😁

Have you been reading my old school reports? 😉

Is he a she and goes by the name of Kitty Doner the American male impersonator?

28 minutes ago, Knotty said:

Is he a she and goes by the name of Kitty Doner the American male impersonator?

No but she was a male impersonator. So you’re nearly there. She was English. Here she is again. (She is not Anton du Beke):

0FC7B4F2-DF11-4128-B2F8-B2829958F706.jpeg

Edited by Uncle George

Vesta Tilley?

Hetty King.

aka Winifred Emms👍

Just beat me to it Pete, but I am watching Goodfellas....again😀😃

10 hours ago, Fattyowls said:

Hetty King.

Yes indeed, Image from here:

http://voices-of-variety.com/hetty-king-from-word/

from which we we learn that, “When the First World War broke out ... Hetty toured France and Belgium entertaining the troops, and she became a great favourite with the lads. A support act was American singer/lyricist Jack Norworth, who wrote the words to the great baseball anthem Take Me Out to the Ball Game, still sung at stadiums all over the US to this day.”

“To see Hetty King performing 100 years ago, at a First World War soldiers’ hospital benefit, press here

This fellow was in both the army and Air Force, although he crashed 8 times and survived each time. More notable for a later “flying” escapade that saw him face legal actions.

6F940101-E182-4C76-AC65-17BB0FB4CD6A.jpeg