Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Who is This ? ? ?

Stoppage Drill

How about this chap ? ? ? Clue: he was a Serene Highness. (Where is Wigwhammer when you need him?)

6A7546B5-C5BA-45C7-AF9D-8C5F3B4F9D35.jpeg

And is that an Iron Cross under his bits of armour-plating? ;)

Just now, seaJane said:

I hope so, or I've just wasted the last hour or so searching.😁

43 minutes ago, seaJane said:

He was awarded the 1st Class of the Iron Cross, yes. However, he was not a German. 

2 minutes ago, Uncle George said:

He was awarded the 1st Class of the Iron Cross, yes. However, he was not a German. 

Which means I've still been on a wild goose-chase 😁

9 minutes ago, neverforget said:

Which means I've still been on a wild goose-chase 😁

It would I think be more accurate, of the chap in the photograph in my post, to say that he was to become a Serene Highness.

24 minutes ago, neverforget said:

Got him I reckon. 

Miklós Horthy de Nagybánya

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Miklós_Horthy

Yes indeed. Admiral Horthy. He had a distinguished First war, which ended with him serving as Commander-in-Chief of the Austro-Hungarian Navy. But as Wikipedia tells us (in a pleasingly understated way), he was a Hungarian and, “The end of the war saw Hungary turned into a landlocked nation, and hence the new government had little need for Horthy’s services.”

For over twenty years and into the Second war he was Regent of Hungary. And you have posted the source of the photograph in my post. 

It was the opening paragraph that sold him to me. When I saw the words "Serene Highness". 

I was about to query you regarding the source of the picture, as the one on the wiki page looks very different, but after looking through the drop-down menus I see that your picture is there after all.

When I first joined the forum I used a picture of this "kid" for my avatar, replacing him when I obtained a picture of my uncle Albert (K.I.A. 1917)

The kid had no connection to me personally, but who was he???

He was one in a million, and lived to be a centenerian.

20190504_082614.png.47dba100a310140de22fa6c084e69c36.png

I remember you spoke about him last year at the Plough, when we were discussing The Dardanelles/Gallipoli, he’s an Anzac if I remember correctly, but the rest of the conversation is lost to the memory of time........I will keep on looking.

1 hour ago, Knotty said:

I remember you spoke about him last year at the Plough, when we were discussing The Dardanelles/Gallipoli, he’s an Anzac if I remember correctly, but the rest of the conversation is lost to the memory of time........I will keep on looking.

That's Bathams for ya. You're ceetainly on the right track though. 

17 hours ago, Uncle George said:

Is he Alec Campbell?

Sounds about right to me mon oncle.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alec_Campbell

Picture from here:

https://www.economist.com/obituary/2002/05/30/alec-campbell

Edited by neverforget

Bug*er, spent afternoon (not all) searching and UG has well and truly beat me to it...fair play.

Edited by Knotty

This lad, though underage, managed to get himself enlisted, whilst his father was overage and turned down on that basis. 

Unfortunately he didn't survive to reach his legal age for enlistment, dying from enteric fever well before that.

He was one of 18 to die under similar circumstances. 

20190505_103759.png.d28e62e0a036e4bc336ea6ab1bc5af6a.png

10 hours ago, Knotty said:

Is this the same chap?

6C02F3B1-A9C4-475D-8561-45DB06CFD260.jpeg

He is indeed. Believed to be the youngest Australian to die in the war.

Apologies if my initial post was unintentionally misleading; he was actually one of twenty not yet eighteen. I misread the quote.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jim_Martin_(Australian_soldier)

Picture from here:

https://www.anthonyhillbooks.com/soldierboymain.html

No prizes for this one but I thought it an interesting enough little tale to post on here:

Screenshot_20190507-115848.png.f7f9fb5780bc810631cbc349d308cd1b.png

The photograph on this post is of Reginald Garth, a 12 year old Perth boy who stowed away on the transport RMS Mooltan.

He is wearing a uniform that was especially made for him by soldiers on board ship once he was discovered. A fuss was made of him and Colonel Fiaschi who was on board was willing to take him to Egypt as a bugler, but, at the request of his parents, Reginald was off-loaded at Colombo and returned to Australia aboard the Mongolia. 

His three brothers and father enlisted in WW1 to fight for Australia, and he wanted be part of what he thought might be the same adventure.

From a newspaper article (Wed 16th June, 1915 – The Daily News - Perth) upon Reginald’s return home... “There's my mother,”  he called out excitedly, as he pointed to a brown-clad figure on the wharf. “And there's my sister”, added he. “There, that one in the blue hat”. Both women looked up lovingly at the wee figure in drab khaki. Then the mother shook her fist playfully up at him, and her mouth formed the words, “You bad boy."  The last that was seen of the youthful son... was the sight of a brown figure, being entrenched inside a pair of maternal arms.

Reginald's father Sergeant Thomas James Garth, 28th Battalion, A Company, was killed 3-6 November 1916, Flers, France, aged 50 (also served for 21 years, Imperial Army, 7th Royal Fusiliers (City of London Regiment)).

Reginald's brother Gunner Frank Garth was killed in action on the 10th of December 1916 in the Flers Sector, France, at the age of 18 years 4 months (before he was killed in action on the Western Front he was wounded in action at Gallipoli on the 8th of August 1915).

Another brother, John Garth, was severely wounded and discharged from the army in 1917. John Garth died on the the 22nd of August 1929, aged 34.

Another brother of Reginald’s, Thomas Garth served with the 8th Battery, 3rd Field Artillery Brigade, but following the death of his father and brother and another brother severely wounded, requested permission to return to look after the family; this was approved and in 1917 he returned and was discharged.

Information and photograph (taken May 1915) came the Australian War Memorial.

• 3 weeks later...

Here's a pretty simple and basic one to get us up and running again. 

Was on the wrong end of a machine gun burst in 1915.

Although he was best known for an English acting role, he was the subject of a fairly recent American t.v. drama.

Pictured here in 1912.

20190524_085209.png.ba7eab9d33f274ddacaf973289e1ebbb.png

Elementary my dear NF😁, a well known partner of Mr Rathbone!

And Ken has a radio show.

1 minute ago, Knotty said:

Elementary my dear NF😁, a well known partner of Mr Rathbone!

And Ken has a radio show.

As you say, Knotty; "Elementary", which is the title of the American drama series.

It's Dr.Watson. Picture and bio here:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nigel_Bruce

Gosh, who'd have thought it? I thought I recognised him from somewhere, but as usual the synapses in between had gone missing. I'm very interested in the Hollywood biographies of the British actors who formed the informal Los Angeles branch of the comrades of the Great War club. They are often embelished somewhat. Bruce was serving with the HAC when he was wounded on 5th January 1915 when the Germans dug a sap out from the mill that gives Spanbroekmolen it's name. They were able to enfilade the HAC lines down the slope.

This is the view from the mill today, or more accurately from the edge of the massive pond where the mill used to be before June 1917. Wulverghem in the centre, Neuve Eglise on the right horizon:

1950415922_WulvergemfromSpanbroekmolen.JPG.52e0a2c0d17f0ff8fd2b9a8d998304c6.JPG

Edited by Fattyowls
wrong photo......

19 minutes ago, Fattyowls said:

Gosh, who'd have thought it? I thought I recognised him from somewhere, but as usual the synapses in between had gone missing. I'm very interested in the Hollywood biographies of the British actors who formed the informal Los Angeles branch of the comrades of the Great War club. They are often embelished somewhat. Bruce was serving with the HAC when he was wounded on 5th January 1915 when the Germans dug a sap out from the mill that gives Spanbroekmolen it's name. They were able to enfilade the HAC lines down the slope.

This is the view from the mill today, or more accurately from the edge of the massive pond where the mill used to be before June 1917. Wulverghem in the centre, Neuve Eglise on the right horizon:

1950415922_WulvergemfromSpanbroekmolen.JPG.52e0a2c0d17f0ff8fd2b9a8d998304c6.JPG

Great picture as ever, Pete. 

Your photos always give us a hreat insight into the lay of the land. 👍