Is he Leon Thrasher?

Indeed he is. Well played U.G.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thrasher_incident

Reportedly the first American citizen to be killed in WW1

https://todayinhistory.blog/2017/03/28/march-28-1915-thrasher-incident/

Edited by neverforget

57 minutes ago, Uncle George said:

Is he Leon Thrasher?

How did you arrive at that conclusion, Uncle George?

Ron

And who are these two ? again they fit into the first of category in 1916

76D3F0EC-1CED-4C33-BC4E-BE734AAAD87A.jpeg

3ED931E5-E333-4EC4-A1FE-9CC95936C63D.jpeg

2 hours ago, Ron Clifton said:

How did you arrive at that conclusion, Uncle George?

Ron

By googling ‘March 1918’ then ‘March 1917’ and so on until an event on a 28th fitted the clues.

Ok. Looking at other angles. Back with the answer soon 

5 hours ago, Knotty said:

And who are these two ? again they fit into the first of category in 1916

76D3F0EC-1CED-4C33-BC4E-BE734AAAD87A.jpeg

3ED931E5-E333-4EC4-A1FE-9CC95936C63D.jpeg

Tom Rees and Lionel Morris? They were apparently the first victims of the Red Baron.

Ron

33 minutes ago, Ron Clifton said:

Tom Rees and Lionel Morris? They were apparently the first victims of the Red Baron.

Ron

And how did you arrive at that conclusion Ron?

Judicious Googling - just as Uncle George did.

Ron

Correct ....... Captain Tom Rees & 2nd Lt Lionel Morris, flying a FE 2b (7018) on Sept 17 1916 shot down by Richthofen, Rees (observer) killed in his plane and Morris(pilot) landed the plane but was mortally wounded.

https://www.thisdayinaviation.com/tag/second-lieutenant-lionel-bertram-frank-morris/

Here we have a three-in-one for you to get your teeth into. Once you find one, the other two will follow more easily.

All three fought on the same side in the Great War, and all have strong links to one another aside from that. 

The chap in the middle set a world record in flight, and the outer two both had the same civilian vocation in literature.20190329_094600.png.6218c167b9f3906177ffbf50e6346735.png20190329_094508.png.d6387d8ee24c03ba9d652b90d0905a53.png20190329_095106.png.f430e374c0772037c9a29632d1630238.png

I think I can safely say that the top image in uniform is not WW1 Japanese issue. 

The belt buckle looks Austrian 

5 minutes ago, Knotty said:

I think I can safely say that the top image in uniform is not WW1 Japanese issue. 

You're quite right about the uniform, but the belt buckle, though remarkably similar to an Austrian example, is quite the opposite, it could be said, or perhaps to be more pedantic, in direct opposition. 

5 minutes ago, Heid the Ba said:

Looks Serbian to me, which would fit the clues.  That is all I've got though.

Not Serbian either, but another allied country.

48 minutes ago, Knotty said:

17 minutes ago, Heid the Ba said:

Looks Serbian to me, which would fit the clues.  That is all I've got though.

Considering how unclear the image is, I will offer you this:

20190329_110204.png.678763a60076be9880769912f029c012.png

Ok more clues to prompt you. The outer two were both poets, and the aviator's world record was set in 1928.

The Japanese-Italian is Shimoi Harukichi.  I should have guessed that he was Italian from the Arditi dagger.

Edit: Which leads us to Arturo Ferrarin who set a record for the distance flown in a flight to Brazil in 1928.

Edited by Heid the Ba

9 minutes ago, Heid the Ba said:

The Japanese-Italian is Shimoi Harukichi.  I should have guessed that he was Italian from the Arditi dagger.

Edit: Which leads us to Arturo Ferrarin who set a record for the distance flown in a flight to Brazil in 1928.

Correct. Well done. 2 out of 3. The third will be identified presently I expect, which will then clarify the various links between the three of them. 

If as I believe that Heid the Ba is correct then the second chap down is the Italian pilot Arturo Ferrarin, the aviator who flew non stop Italy to Brazil in 1928, and was involved with Harukichi ,who had been one of those who devised the Rome to Tokyo Air race of 1920, in which he took part and won.

1 minute ago, Knotty said:

If as I believe that Heid the Ba is correct then the second chap down is the Italian pilot Arturo Ferrarin, the aviator who flew non stop Italy to Brazil in 1928, and was involved with Harukichi ,who had been one of those who devised the Rome to Tokyo Air race of 1920, in which he took part and won.

Correct John, but alas a few minutes late. Still number three is up for grabs to complete the conundrum. 

I think I have the chap but struggling to finalise the connection unless it is simply aviators?

27 minutes ago, Knotty said:

I think I have the chap but struggling to finalise the connection unless it is simply aviators?

There are various factors that connect any two of them, but the one common denominator is that they all fought in the Italian armed forces. I will add other details later. 

Edited army to armed forces. Apologies.

Edited by neverforget

Ok I will try Gabrielle D’Annunzio who “bombed” Vienna with thousands of leaflets.