Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Your Country Needs You

funfly

If you need to produce printed copies (and you do!), I recommend Lulu.com.

Using their system, you can print as little as 1 copy of a quality paperback for around a tenner per book. Hardbacks are only about 2 quid more.

Yes, you might have to sell the real books a little more expensively per copy than if you had a 10,000 conventional print run - but you don't have to invest thousands up front. I use it to produce proofs of my books - cheaper than the ink and paper for your home printer and it looks and feels like the real thing.

Regards

Ian

In connection the question of Kitchener's popularity or standing within the British aristocracy/military, I've just noticed a pull-out which was issued with the 100th edition of The War Illustrated. The pull-out, (dated July 1916) is entitled '100 Heroes of the Great War.' Front and centre is Kitchener flanked by the likes of General Joffre and Admiral Jellicoe. Haig looks out from over their shoulders.

David

Funfly. Further to the above, here's a sad statistic for your research. The War Illustrated - 9 volumes in total, containing a stated 17,114 photographs of all types. The pointing finger of the U.S. 'Uncle Sam' is illustrated, but no trace of Kitchener and his pointing finger.

David

Granville, we will never know the real truth but having two views certainly makes good conversation :unsure:

Looks like we may be publishing on Kindle by the end of August :thumbsup:

Well Kitchener's name would been known due to his Sudan campaign and for his victory at Omdurman , his handling of the Fashoda incident, and his part in the Boer War. Mass circulation newspapers would feature him.

I am still intrigued to know at what point his 'poster' face became instantly recognisable by most of the population so looking forward to these aforementioned two books.

Interesting poster John Boy : Do you have a date for it? I remember reading an account by one veteran stating that he attended a recruiting rally in Colchester where Lord Kitchener spoke .....can't find any verification of this taking place. Wonder if he was recalling some poster campaign instead targetted at the men of Essex?

Regards

Michael Bully

Perhaps his name was just as important as his picture.

attachicon.gifessex kitch poster.jpg

Sorry, I can't find a date. Probably after the first recruitment drive and before his death 1916.

kitchener.gif

How Leete changed the actual face of Kitchener to the one on the poster. He removes the divergent eyes, raises the eyebrows to make the stare stronger and slightly darkens the moustache.

We see how the final image is so much stronger and compulsive.

Now, that is very neat!

David

Yes that's incredible....raising the eyebrows ensures that the eyes become more striking and are staring at someone.

Darkening the moustache made Kitchener look younger but still an esteemed mature figure. Thanks for posting this Martyn. Regards

His moving left eye is rather creepy!

When people refer to his hypnotic gaze they are inevitably talking about the poster. People who actually net the man have commented in not the most complimentary terms about his caste eye.

Its an interesting fact that the picture used by Leete was taken in 1985. In 1914 he had aged considerably. There is a painting of him done in 1916 in the (I think) Weston Super Mare Art gallery.

Just reading the thread on disability. One thing we, or no-one else as far as I am aware, has compared the 'glamour' placed on recruitment by the posters to the reality of the life that the gallant men were to return to. I wonder if there was any comparison between the offer of the posters and the reality. In the days when every man 'knew his place' do we maybe think that many just accepted that this was their lot. I know that the posters "Daddy what did you do in the Great War" was overwritten by "I tried to stop the bloody thing my child!" but was this just an odd occurrence or was there a general discontent?

One thing we do touch on in the book is the role change in women caused by the return of menfolk not 100% able. I must admit that I wish that we had done a lot more research into this aspect but I suppose that it is more related to the general posters rather than our Kitchener one which just stated a fact.

You may be interested that we have a comments area on our website here. As this is a new website I would value any (hopefully nice) comments put up by anyone here. Although it doesn't need your name, it would be nice if you commented that you were from the Great War Forum.

Talk about begging for compliments :whistle:

You may be interested that we have a comments area on our website here. As this is a new website I would value any (hopefully nice) comments put up by anyone here. Although it doesn't need your name, it would be nice if you commented that you were from the Great War Forum.

Talk about begging for compliments :whistle:

Just tried to leave a friendly comment, all nicely written out wiv proper spelling and verything but couldn't see how to post he comment

Have posted ! Any decision yet re. 'hard' printed copies? Regards Michael Bully

Write your comment and press 'Enter' should do it :thumbsup:

No decision on the hard back copy yet. It's a question of economics; not just the printing but the distribution and publicity which could cost many time the printing costs and getting additional licences for the images for print would also involve a lot of money. Maybe an initial outlay of many thousand pounds and we would need to sell a lot of books to get this back. The alternative is to use an internet 'book on demand' service and I am looking into this but this is an expensive way to buy books.

Producing an ebook is completely different than a paper book, we don't have the luxury of being able to specify layout (for example is that if we have something like a 'tab' space it will throw out the production and ebooks do not recognise carriage returns! - loads of things like this) fonts are another problem as all e-readers allow the reader to specify the font and the size so we have no control over this. Images are another story, firstly we have to make them as clear as possible but also reduce the file size, then ebooks have a habit of moving images around.....it goes on and on but if you want to make a decent ebook all this has to be worked on.

The point I am making is that to produce a paper book we will have to re-do all the text matter and use higher quality images etc. It might be our next step to get this in readiness but we don't have the publishing facilities of the big boys, it is just me who does all the production work.

A lot will depend on the interest in our ebook, our advertising is just by word of mouth so we know that we will not sell millions (dozens?).

I know that there are many WW1 interest groups around the country. I am prepared (at no cost) to give talks on the Kitchener Poster at any time or to supply articles for magazines (which will obviously spread the word) - if anyone can suggest such groups to me I will contact them and make the offer.

Martyn

I see I am guest 875 so you are picking up som traffic-already.

I wish :unsure: (the number are random!)

​You can change this and put your own name in here is you don't wish to be anonymous :thumbsup:

I know that the posters "Daddy what did you do in the Great War" was overwritten by "I tried to stop the bloody thing my child!"

Didn't know that!

Is this thread heading towards classic status?

Kath.

Despite what I have previously said about there being no substitute for a book in your hand, the invite to purchase this digital book has proved too strong for me and so for the first time I've purchased a download. The process could not be simpler and swifter, in fact I was reading the 'book' even before the confirmation of purchase had come through via email! I've only dipped my toe in the read as yet, but one thing is clear, there has been much thorough research gone into it and its presented in a very readable format. Would personally have liked to see many of the illustrations reproduced to a higher standard - possible something that can be looked at for future 'print' runs? That apart, this looks to me like being a very good read, so well done and I'll crack on with it!

David