Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

I need your help again lads and lassies.

museumtom

19 minutes ago, ss002d6252 said:

Can you give a link to that page Dai ?

There is a pension ledger for #8792 Patrick Barrett, Connaughts, which states he died 13 Feb 16 whilst serving...

Craig

Here it is Craig:

Link

According to CWGC there were only 3 5th Lancers killed in Ireland on 24/4/16

Oscar Bentley 7022

James David Arthur Headland 5165

Arthur James Scarlet 6297

None on that date in 1915 or 1917.

Bentley is not at Grangegorman

https://www.cwgc.org/find-war-dead/casualty/899584/bentley,-oscar/

Edited by Mark1959

It looks like the 24/04/1915 Craig.

Thanks for the help lads. I remember a few years ago, his name eludes me, I came across a DC for a British Soldier who was killed around this time. Try as we might we could not locate him anywhere. Until one of the pals on this forum found him, he was one of the rebels. What he was doing in a British uniform is anyones guess. I am sure we will come across him again. All the current death certs are from 1916.

Kindest regards.

Tom.

Bentley born 1887 

Headland 25/10/1895

Scarlet 1885

Of these 3 Headland appears to be the only one that could be Dowd. Clearly we need a vital piece of evidence to link the two. 

Edited by Mark1959

I have sent the DC to Terry to see if he can tie him to one of the unknown's in Grangegorman Military Cemetery. Fingers crossed.

Mark- Headland, same death, date, rank, age, but two death certs. It could be him

1.JPG

Do you have the full image of Dowd's certificate. findagrave has this info on scarlet

Death Certificate.
Arthur James Scarlett, a bachelor, aged 32, a Soldier in the 5th Lancers, died at Jervis Street Hospital, Dublin, on 24 April 1916.
The cause of death was Haemorrhage [presumably after having been shot]
The informant of his death was a member of staff of the hospital, who registered it on 29 August 1916.

edit - just seen Headland's you posted. Headland does seem to be highly likely

Edited by Mark1959

1 hour ago, museumtom said:

Thanks for the help lads. I remember a few years ago, his name eludes me, I came across a DC for a British Soldier who was killed around this time. Try as we might we could not locate him anywhere. Until one of the pals on this forum found him, he was one of the rebels. What he was doing in a British uniform is anyones guess. I am sure we will come across him again. All the current death certs are from 1916.

Kindest regards. 

Tom.

I'm sure there is an un-told story with that one.

Craig

Headland's effects record - seems odd that such a mistake would be made to get to James Dowd though unless it actually reads James David, which would be more plausible as a mistake, especially so with the cause of death.
image.png.fdf8b45f68eb50df50708a8ae2a837c9.png
Craig

Edited by ss002d6252

Hello mark, here you go.

Kind regards.

Tom.

1.JPG

Thank you Craig.

I see where you are coming from Craig, and I like the lateral thinking. It is certainly a possibilty worth considering.

Kind regards.

Tom.

'Morning all. I hope all is well here? Downcast and threatening rain here, so nothing new there.

This lad looks like an easy find, does it not? Not a chance, can you help me with this please. I tried all the variables for this sailor without success. Dismal effort on my part so I must again depend on your lateral searching (if you find him straight away, leave it for a while before putting him on here, it might save a bit of my dignity if you show it was difficult).

Thank you in advance for any help you might give.

Tom.

1.JPG

The Official Number on the DC does not look right.

Possibly this man - born Limerick 1882 so only 34 in 1916 and number 3043.B. Discharged invalided 9 June 1915 and died after discharge. Trio of medals claimed by his widow.

He is the only BROUGHTON on the medal roll recorded on the Index Casualty (I.C.2808/1916)

Brilliant!!.

Thank you very much indeed horatio can you post a link t the image for Terry please?

Gotta go, lads apologies, ''till later.

Kind regards.

Tom.

Tom 

Sent you a PM. Image from the WFA collection. This refers to Broughton. Same as my McHugh posting: pension for death of man attributable to warlike operations. 

Most excellent, Thank you Mark and horatio, I have passed the info supplied on to Terry and await his reply. Fingers crossed! 

Kindest regards.

Tom.

Result!! Broughton has gone through. Well done to Mark and Horatio!!

Kind regards.

Tom.

Starting early on this cold, wet and wintry morning here in the Emerald Isle. I hope the weather is better where you are?

I am full sure this man is a possibility. I cannot find him on FMP, I have him in the Census and all that but nothing of his military service.

Thank you very much indeed in advance for all your help. The project to remember the lost Irishmen could not be furthered without it, for which I am very grateful indeed.

Kind Regards.

Tom.

1.JPG

22 minutes ago, museumtom said:

Starting early on this cold, wet and wintry morning here in the Emerald Isle. I hope the weather is better where you are?

I am full sure this man is a possibility. I cannot find him on FMP, I have him in the Census and all that but nothing of his military service.

Thank you very much indeed in advance for all your help. The project to remember the lost Irishmen could not be furthered without it, for which I am very grateful indeed.

Kind Regards.

Tom.

1.JPG

Can't see anything obvious in the Effects or Pension Ledgers but based on his age and date of death he does look like a good candidate for having served.

Craig

Could it be this man on ancestry?

Name:    Gabriel Byrne
Enlistment Age:    19
Birth Date:    abt 1888
Birth Place:    Berkley Road Dublin
Enlistment Year:    1907
Regiment:    Royal Regiment Artillen Royal Horse + Royal Field
Regimental Number:    49237/RHRFA
Attestation Paper:    Yes

I don't have Fold 3, so cannot follow it up.

1911 Census record, so probably not?

Gabriel Byrne
Age in 1911:    22
Estimated birth year:    abt 1889
Birth Place:    Dublin, Ireland
Search Photos:    
County/Island:    Military
Military Unit:    58th Battery, R F A
Registration District Number:    641
ED, institution, or vessel:    India

Edited by wandererpaul

3 minutes ago, ss002d6252 said:

How about this  man - medically discharged in 1913
https://search.findmypast.co.uk/record?id=GBM%2FWO97%2F4473%2F093%2F001&parentid=GBM%2FWO97%2F4473%2F482673

EDIT:

Same man as above

Craig

It's the same man as the 1901 census as the mum is named as Dora. So a possible now. :)