Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

I need your help again lads and lassies.

museumtom

McHugh, Jesse Solway have gone forward!!

Many thanks to all concerned, believe me if it were not for your help they would still be forgotten.

Kind regards and well done to all!

Tom.

Edited by museumtom

Since we started this trawl, within the past four weeks, we have 7 accepted by I.F.T.C.P., to go forward to the M.O.D. These would not have been added with the help and support of pals on the forum, including your good self!

Kind regards.

Tom.

29 minutes ago, museumtom said:

Since we started this trawl, within the past four weeks, we have 7 accepted by I.F.T.C.P., to go forward to the M.O.D. These would not have been added with the help and support of pals on the forum, including your good self!

Kind regards.

Tom.

Excellent work all round (it's just a pity many miss out on technicalities).

Craig

Thanks Craig, they are not missed out, they will still be remembered with the other Irishmen. 

5 minutes ago, museumtom said:

Thanks Craig, they are not missed out, they will still be remembered with the other Irishmen. 

Yes Tom, of course. Clumsy wording by me (I did mean missed by the CWGC).

Craig

Gon on yeh good thing!!

Whilst not proof. This clearly suggests he was serving. Enniscorthy Guardian 28/10/1916 and indicates where he rests.

BAKER2.jpg.1ef7c57ad4a60fd45dd42cbb4ec9385e.jpg

the item above the inquest

baker4.jpg.0fd1201800edfb32f2d9bbc62e3f294f.jpg

Though given name of ship and its master I suspect it is a commandeered merchant vessel

Edited by Mark1959

Well done Mark and Horatio! No wonder I could not find him, I was looking for Baker. This is where you guys, and lateral thinking comes in.

A brilliant bit of sleuthing, thank you very much for all the info.

Kindest regards.

Tom.

Chasing his grave returned this page. Read it

https://www.findagrave.com/memorial/178052810/alexander-ritchie

just checking some of the details

Name seems to be just Alexander Ritchie

edit

https://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/details/r/D8513465

He is the RN and Royal Marines Graves Rolls 1914-19 as

Killed or died by means other than disease, accident or enemy action

And he has a CWGC grave

https://www.cwgc.org/find-war-dead/casualty/663307/ritchie,-alexander/

The only one in that graveyard

edit2:

Haratio2 beat me to it. But it is the result that matters

Edited by Mark1959

Thanks Mark, yes I see that now, he was Alexander Ritcher, a baker. The baker part should have been in a different column on the death cert.

Thanks for your help.

Kind regards.

Tom.

Again,m this guy eludes me big time. It should be easy. Nope, not a chance. Please don't find him too quickly, it should take a long time.

Can you help please?

Kind regards.

Tom.

1.JPG

1 hour ago, Mark1959 said:

He is the RN and Royal Marines Graves Rolls 1914-19 as

Killed or died by means other than disease, accident or enemy action

What a ridiculous statement - the man's death was clearly an accident unless he was murdered).

Dammit you guys are good! I don't get it?, how did you find him with the wrong spelling? Y'see, its that lateral thinking mentioned in an earlier post.

Thanks for all your help lads, another great result, I was so sure it was going to get past you.

Kindest regards.

Tom.

3 minutes ago, museumtom said:

how did you find him with the wrong spelling? 

Koz wee kant sbel eether.

That got a great laugh, I needed that Dai!

This solder, Patrick Barrett, Connaught Rangers No 8792, discharged with TB died in 1916 and his records are up on FMP, lots of them, but the necessary medical page that would say if his TB was caused by or aggrevated by war service is not there which would allow him to go forward. Can you help please? 

Thank you all very much in advance.

Kind regards.

Tom.

Edited by museumtom

Tom,

In his Ancestry Pension Records, there doesn't seem to be anything at first glance.

BUT if you scan back, seemingly before his first page, there are a few more pages that I think must relate to him, starting with an attestation dated 11th July 1906 for 1/8792 Patrick Barrett aged 18.

The third page of that record jumps to 8th July 1915.

A Chelsea record No 33182, awarding a pension ?12/6d,  saying 'Man Died 12/2/16'            Is this the right man?

Then a few pages later:

Kinsale   6/5/15   Tubercle of Lung   Sputum Examination shows T.B.      John Coffey

Cork 8/7/15    Medical Board Recommend for Discharge

Proper Discharge form dated 21/6/15   No Longer fit for War service Para 392 (xvi) KR  ADMS Cork.

Interestingly he has an admission for joint pains in January 1915 (in retrospect, probably related), where the examiner says hs heart is normal and there are no physical signs. If he listened to his heart, he would have listened to his chest, so if he says 'No physical signs' you could infer that TB wasn't suspected nor found in January 1915.

Ha! That's signed by A. (I happen to know that's Arthur!) Rocyn-Jones.

His brother (David) Nathan Rocyn-Jones played for Wales in the 1920s.

A good case here Tom...

Edited by Dai Bach y Sowldiwr

What a great informative post, lots of detail there and very much appreciated. Terry says 'No. Nothing says he was discharged with attributable TB'. Logic does work here, it need the right page I am afraid, no one is more sorry than I Dai. Thank you very much for your help!

Now this one looks easy peasy, but don't be fooled, it sure aint. I tried all variants but I cannot find him., Can you help please? There were other soldiers killed with him that day and are buried in Grangegorman Cemetery, so I downloaded the CWGC readout for it and he is not there, or is he?

Any help would be very welcome indeed.

Thanking you all very much in advance.

Tom

1.JPG

7 minutes ago, Dai Bach y Sowldiwr said:

A Chelsea record No 33182, awarding a pension ?12/6d,  saying 'Man Died 12/2/16'            Is this the right man?

Can you give a link to that page Dai ?

There is a pension ledger for #8792 Patrick Barrett, Connaughts, which states he died 13 Feb 16 whilst serving...

Craig

3 minutes ago, museumtom said:

What a great informative post, lots of detail there and very much appreciated. Terry says 'No. Nothing says he was discharged with attributable TB'. Logic does work here, it need the right page I am afraid, no one is more sorry than I Dai. Thank you very much for your help!

Now this one looks easy peasy, but don't be fooled, it sure aint. I tried all variants but I cannot find him., Can you help please? There were other soldiers killed with him that day and are buried in Grangegorman Cemetery, so I downloaded the CWGC readout for it and he is not there, or is he?

Any help would be very welcome indeed. 

Thanking you all very much in advance. 

Tom

1.JPG

Is it 29 April 1915 or 1916 Tom ?

Craig

8 minutes ago, ss002d6252 said:

Can you give a link to that page Dai ?

There is a pension ledger for #8792 Patrick Barrett, Connaughts, which states he died 13 Feb 16 whilst serving...

Craig

And a third date of death...

image.png.491d7bec18f93caff565036e40368fdc.png

it's a pity the pension ledger doesn't record why he was discharged. I can't see any definite documented link between TB, discharge and death. I think it's going to be another one where the CWGC can't go ahead on the basis of missing paperwork.

Craig

Edited by ss002d6252