Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

I need your help again lads and lassies.

museumtom

• Admin

I've had to remove some images posted in this thread as the source of them was not acknowledged.

A gentle reminder of the Forum Rules rto which everyone has agreed to:

Members should acknowledge sources when quoting or using material from external sources otherwise these items may be removed without notice.

To protect the GWF posts  that do not respect these rules  may be edited or removed at any time, as may content that is asserted to be posted in breach of copyright.

Glen

GWF Admin Team

Thanks George, the amount of dates of death in SDGW and CWGC that are different than the deaths certs is colossal, so I rarely try and change it, just note the differences.

Kind regards.

Tom.

Hello again all. Can you help please with the following image. I cannot read it nor can I find him. It looks like Frederick Coppes from London, by I could be way off there.

Can you help please?

1.JPG

Apologies Glen

George

Tom,

On the Frederick Collins search-has it been finalised?

George

Yes, I did post that I found him as Gilkes and I had him in my files already. Its made that he would be recorded as Collins.

Thanks for keeping up with me on this George.

Kind regards.

Tom.

Thanks Tom

This one is tricky. So far

Frederick C****** Ryan born 1892+/- died 8th March 1916, Dr Steeven's Hospital Dublin is that?

George

Ancestry has this...

Name: Frederick Ryan

Estimated birth year: abt 1893

Date of Registration: Apr-May-Jun 1916

Death Age:23

Registration district: Dublin South

Volume:2

Page:568

FHL Film Number:0101606

George

Thansks for looking George. This has me totally dumfounded, if Collins could be Gilkes I am sure that Coppes could be Ryan? I read it Frederick Coppes from London, but now, with your lateral eye it could just as well be Frederick C--- Ryan! Damned if I can find him though. I would never have considered Ryan, but you make a great case, thank you George!

Yes I read it as Frederick Coppes/Cottes from London too, but yes, Ryan could be right.

Or even Frederick Coppes Ryan London ??

I've checked. There isn't one...

Thanks Dai, I downloaded the deaths for a week before and a week after with the first initial F and still nothing matches. Its a mystery wrapped up in an enigma wrapped up in a crossword begor!

3 hours ago, George Rayner said:

Ancestry has this...

Name: Frederick Ryan

Estimated birth year: abt 1893

Date of Registration: Apr-May-Jun 1916

Death Age:23

Registration district: Dublin South

Volume:2

Page:568

FHL Film Number:0101606

George

You would think this was the Fred Ryan, of the Irish Citizen Army, who was shot in Harcourt Street 27/4/1916, but he was allegedly seventeen. Although, if it isn't, where is his death registration?

In between gardening, cutting foliage and having an oven delivered I have checked under almost every possibility-obviously not the right one as I haven't found him anywhere else!!

George

Is it Dublin?

1.JPG

Final column reads-

Nephitis

Pneumonia

Heart failure

Certified

?

Looking for letter shape matches

George

Edited by George Rayner

Got him. Frederick William Cottis. Service docs on FMP. Docs state died of nephritis Doctor Stevens  Hospital, Dublin at 9.25am 8/3/16. He is Rifle Brigade. Had been invalided back to UK from France

https://www.cwgc.org/find-war-dead/casualty/364561/cottis,-frederick-william/

Buried in London. Not sure how he ends up in Dublin after returning from France in Feb

Edited by Mark1959

Ah, that explains him not being commemorated in RoI which is what I(and perhaps others) were expecting.

Lots of soldiers were treated in Ireland having been evacuated from France.

After all Ireland was at the time, part of the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Ireland.

Well done...sorry about red herring of 'Ryan'. Must read 'from London'?

George

Sorry lads I just seen the Cottis posts, what a great bit of sleuthing Mark!! Sure what chance did we have? Thanks again for staying with it, I appreciate it very much indeed.

Kind regards.

Tom.

IPT, I think you have hit paydirt, it has to be him. reading his records now. Thanks IPT!

IPT, he was discharged in 1913, feck. I was counting on him being in after August 1914. Thanks for your help! Now the thing is, how did you find him in FMP? I used a link posted in an earlier post and the one I usually use and there was not a sausage but you hit it on the nail, how did you do it?

Kind regards and thanks again.

Tom.

Bad luck, Tom, although I didn't take him dying in a workhouse as a good sign.

Not sure how I found him.  I did put a wildcard * between the c and y, so that "Darcey" showed up as well.  

You are a genius IPT, some day with the help of ye all I might master the secret of 'the search'!

Kind regards.

Tom.

This officer I read as William D'Oyly Battley. Listed in the Census here:-

http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1911/Wicklow/Delgany/Templecarrig_Lower/892666/

Try as I might I cannot find him anywhere at all. Can you help please?

1.JPG

4 minutes ago, museumtom said:

This officer I read as William D'Oyly Battley. Listed in the Census here:-

http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1911/Wicklow/Delgany/Templecarrig_Lower/892666/

Try as I might I cannot find him anywhere at all. Can you help please?

1.JPG

This man ?
https://www.findagrave.com/memorial/155492432/william-d'oyly-battley

Retired 1911, apparently.

Craig

Edited by ss002d6252

Good on ya Craig, Y'know I could not find anything on him. He left the army in 1911, so we will have to leave him be. Thanks for your help, you found him so quickly too!

Kind regards.

Tom.