Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

I need your help again lads and lassies.

museumtom

Cooke has been accepted. Well done Craig and George!

Kind regards.

Tom

Brennan died after discharge, his pension claim was 'pending appeal' but none of the other WFA pension cards show that death was agg/att.

Craig

Thank you Craig and George for the images. So close and yet so far away. He will be remembered with the Irishmen anyway.

Many thanks for your continuing help, it is very much appreciated.

Kind regards.

Tom.

Good morning all.

George and myself have been trying to nail down this soldier, he looks like he could be a contender but the critical sheet is as elusive as ever. Can you help please? Here is all we have. Cummins/Commons, Bernard.

image.png.3671f1b5e3180d2cd5b6a87640dda4c1.png

His pension card does not help us.

image.png.7a99ef88a90adc1d2db0ca8705b072e6.png

Possibly this man.

http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1901/Roscommon/Castlereagh/Main_Street/1664376/

image.png.4474feccdac363d5eede410b95e71e96.png

image.png.6321073310ec4637c745017e4fb725c6.png

image.png.4ab70b5529f0d30760f462520b3af19d.png

It never rains but it pours, and I know how difficult these seamen are, but he is not in FMP.  John Towey, from Ballaghadereen/Ballaghaderreen (of all the townlands in Ireland, this one has the most spelling variations. It is even listed in three counties just to add to the confusion). Can you find this man please?

image.png.8cab2af7396e37af9347a44fb19b16f3.png

Morning Tom

Looks like the man here

Name: John Towey
Record Type: Card
Death Date: 1 Jun 1920
Service Number: R M A/2679
Corps, Regiment or Unit: Ryl Marine Artillery
Title: Pension Record Cards
Description: Other Ranks Died Towers A-Townsend W
Next of Kin:
Name Relation to Soldier
John Towey  
Mary Towey Widow

George

Unless he signed back on...

First Name: John
Initials: J
Surname: Towey
Nationality: British
Information: Discharged completed length of service 1/10/1906.
Service Number: RMA/2679
Service: Royal Marines

he joined up 1/10/1885!

From FWR records which also says that RM Artillery wasnt formed till 1914 so still some searching to do

George

Edited by George Rayner

Great finds George. Fingers crossed that the critical sheet turns up. Well found!

I hate to say this but the dog says I have to go...

Kind regards.

Tom.

It has been a difficult day, and this unfindable lad is not making it any better. Can you find him please?

Moyne is in Ballaghadereen, Roscommon.

Kind regards.

Tom.

image.png.2e9379cca210593a65672d4bf651ece7.png

Edited by museumtom

This one looks easy does it not? No matter which variation I try I cannot find anything, only his death notice. Only the most difficult death certs end up on this page, and that is because all hope of finding them has been abandoned. You are the last hope saloon. Can you help please?

image.png.212a083c0b05448ab4bdb9486e4de455.png

Now who would have thought that Henry was really William?

George

Good man Mark, a great find. Thank you kindly. You are on the ball. This is an egg on face jobbie I am afraid.

Yes indeed George, sure everyone knows in Berehaven Henry is Irish for William....what chance did we have?

Kind regards.

Tom.

John Towey, RMA/2679 appears on WW1 Naval Medal Roll. British War Medal only. Proof of WW1 service.

Edited by Mark1959

Well done Mark. He nearly drove me to distraction!

George

Found some records at National Archives, Born 1/9/1866, Ballaghad.. , Co Mayo. Served from1885. Actually enlisted Burton-on-Trent. Out in 1906. Mobilised 9/8/1914. Discharged 24/10/18. Looks as if discharged from RN Hospital Haslar (I worked in some of the old buildings years ago). Discharged with nephritis but hard to read. Specifically says not attributable. So one to be remembered but no chance of CWGC recognition. LS&GCM 1916.

Edited by Mark1959

Brilliant finds Mark, I don't know how you did it but am very thankful that you did. Thank you very much for this. I have added the information you gave to his readout. Sad to see that his nephritis was not arrrib, but he will be remembered with the Irishmen just the same.

Kind regards.

Tom.

Edited by museumtom

Hello all. I am finding it very difficult to nail down these Cavan lads, can you help please? This one looks easy but I can do nothing with it at all. Can you help please? How hard can it be I have the number, unit, wifes name, age, address, date of death, and them listed in the Census. Don't let him fool ya lads, its a tricky one to be sure.

http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1911/Cavan/Tullyvin_East__Rural_/Errigal/346153/

image.png.aea6d2fa519bc5e73c4a25a40be9ef73.png

Possibly only 32. RAFrecords shows only in 24/9/18 to 13/7/19. Born according to that record 17/9/88.There is at least one Pension Card.

Application for pension just before his death appears to have been rejected.

Edited by Mark1959

How do you do that? Thank you, that was brilliant Mark, I appreciate it greatly. Is the number correct 288488? Is his address on the card? Is he an Airman? Does if give any reason for discharge please?

Kind regards.

Tom.

Edited by museumtom

13 minutes ago, museumtom said:

How do you do that? Thank you, that was brilliant Mark, I appreciate it greatly. Is the number correct 288488? Is he an Airman? Does if give any reason for discharge please?

Kind regards.

Tom.

https://search.findmypast.co.uk/record?id=GBM%2FAIR79%2F2603%2F00131&parentid=GBM%2FAIR79%2F189696

Craig

Ooooh Craig, that is good, very good indeed!, Thank you kindly fr that.

Loads there to keep me going, thanks again lads, I am most grateful for all your help.