Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

I need your help again lads and lassies.

museumtom

Spent a little more time with Stephen Byrne and nobody appears to 'fit'. Some correct names on FMP, and some Irish Regiments but nothing to link to your man

https://www.findmypast.co.uk/search/results?sourcecategory=armed+forces+%26+conflict&sid=101&firstname=stephen&lastname=byrne&yearofbirth=1886&yearofbirth_offset=1&yearofdeath=1916&yearofdeath_offset=0&keywordsplace_proximity=5&sourcecountry=great+britain

George

Thanks guys, it was worth a shot, but with so little to go on it was always going to be a difficult find. 

Thank you for trying just the same, I appreciate it very much.

Kind regards.

Tom.

The information on the following lad is very sparse. All we have is that he was born about 1888, with an address in Carrickbeg, may be listed under Carrick on Suir, Tipperary, and was discharged before September 1916. Can you help please?

image.png.d78412687e87034b9df20a47d38c0d04.png

2 hours ago, museumtom said:

The information on the following lad is very sparse. All we have is that he was born about 1888, with an address in Carrickbeg, may be listed under Carrick on Suir, Tipperary, and was discharged before September 1916. Can you help please?

image.png.d78412687e87034b9df20a47d38c0d04.png

Name: Patrick Barry
Record Type: Card
Death Date: 5 Sep 1916
Service Number: 6373
Corps, Regiment or Unit: R. Irish Regt
Title: Pension Record Cards
Description: Other Ranks Died Barron GW-Bartholomew WT
Reference Number: DPD/B11

https://search.ancestry.co.uk/cgi-bin/sse.dll?_phsrc=nWt747&_phstart=successSource&usePUBJs=true&indiv=1&dbid=61588&gsfn=patrick&gsln=barry&cp=0&new=1&rank=1&uidh=784&redir=false&msT=1&gss=angs-d&pcat=39&fh=21&h=21609820&recoff=&ml_rpos=22&queryId=37c084652ab773f7e48cb6ad3b957a6c

image.png

https://www.fold3.com/image/668231572?terms=barry,1019,patrick,6373

Craig

Fantastic Craig, thank you for that. With the service number you provided I got his records on FM.P. and he looks like a qualifier.

Brilliant!

Kind regards.

Tom.

Yes indeed, I am sure it will be picked over with military precision.

Kind regards.

Tom.

He's in!! that must be a record thank you mightely Craig!

Edited by museumtom

Just keeping you all up to date. You will have noticed a new traunch of death certs are showing up new contenders for IFCP. I decided in this era of spare time to review the death  certs as Folder3 came available since it first began. I also decided to add those who do not qualify to the Irishmen's files. I may be wrong, but there seems to be more records in F.M.P. than when I originally looked for possibles. Happy days, this should keep us busy for the forseeable future.

Thank you all again for all the help, never ever think it is taken for granted or not appreciated, it most certainly is for which I am most thankful.

Kindest regards.

Tom.

Looks to me as if he is 3/9017 Royal Irish Regiment (Home Service). In for brief period in 1915. July-Nov.

Discharged as unfit - heart trouble.

Think he also enlisted in 1914 as 5219 - this is described as same regiment or the Irish foot guards. In for 12 days in Sept 1914 before being turfed out as unlikely to become an efficient soldier. 

He may have enlisted a third time just checking. Looking for the FMP links for you. 

Big man for era 6ft 3 in. Looks as if his heart was dodgy. 

edit - no those are only 2 enlistments to date have excluded the third possible enlistment. This third one may be his brother Daniel

This appears to be 1911 census for above man

http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1911/Tipperary/Cashel_Urban/Chapel_Lane/841409/

Note younger brother Matthew aged 16. A brother Matthew is shown on Death Certificate edit - same one you found. 

another edit

This Effects record here on ancestry shows 9017 died after discharge. Discharge 20/11/15. War Gratuity inadmissable as less than 6 months service. The refs are dated March 1919 so he died before those dates. Must be him I think.

Cannot find records on FMP. Ancestry pension records are here and here

Edited by Mark1959

Thank you Mark. Great finds altogether. Yes indeed that is him in the 1911 Census. I tried FMP with the numbers you gave, 9017 and 5219, without success. Is there a folder3 card for him please?

Kind regards.

Tom.

Edited by museumtom

No, Now finished editing previous post. The later papers showed he had VDH so I think not attributable, 

Edited by Mark1959

Thank you Mark, but V.D.H. is heart problems?

Thank you Mark, may I please have his number and regiment please?

I cannot see the Ancestry records so I sent your links to Terry and await progress. Fingers crossed!!

Kind regards.

Tom.

Nope he did not make it-'

He was only in army a couple of months and discharged as ‘not likely to become efficient soldier’ due to heart condition.

Stated in his record not to be due to army service.'

Anyhoo, can you help with this one please? I cannot find anything on him at all, and he should be an easy one.

image.png.c548b9323ecbc66e9a644da2d50add81.png

OK guys I found him. I was spelling his name CRAMPION.

Sorry lads.

https://www.findmypast.co.uk/transcript?id=GBM%2FCWGC%2FROLLOFHONOUR%2F000217160

This looks like Crampin Tom but the Pension card has nothing useful on it. Sent

Name: Frances Wm Crampin
Record Type: Card
Death Date: 20 Nov 1918
Service Number: 60980
Corps, Regiment or Unit: 2/1 Yorkshire Hussars (Yeo).
Title: Pension Record Cards
Description: Other Ranks Died Craig JA-Crankshaw W
Next of Kin:
Name Relation to Soldier
Frances Wm Crampin  
Edith Crampin Widow

Ancestry

George

If correct CWGC has him

George

Patrick Knox is 5884 Leinsters. WFA card. Searching for further details

Edited by Mark1959

What a find! thank you Mark. I seem to be getting a lot of possibles, even this lads looks easy but the image attached is all I can find on him. Can you help please?

image.png.249af93631e05f2cdf8e007639b493c6.png

Knox's pension claim doesn't appear to have been successfully completed (at least not as far as the WFA MoP records go). No mention of how or what he died of.

Craig

Duffy may be Duffey 7859 Connaughts. Discharged insane in Nov 1918

Edited by Mark1959

11 minutes ago, museumtom said:

What a find! thank you Mark. I seem to be getting a lot of possibles, even this lads looks easy but the image attached is all I can find on him. Can you help please?

image.png.249af93631e05f2cdf8e007639b493c6.png

H Touhy according to the medical admission registers on FMP - T2/015179, ASC. The register states 'no further details known'.

On the Pension Cards as Hubert Touhy. D2/015179 and T Tuohy T2/015179. Needs a better look but I suspect all are the same man.

EDIT:

Alias seems to be Niland.

Address of Castlebar asylum. No cause of death.

Craig

Brilliant thank you Mark, does it give an address or place of birth please?

Info from you guys coming in hot and fast, difficult to keep up....keept it up!!! and thank you kindly.

Thank you Craig, I did not have that. 

Kind regards.

Tom.