Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

My climb up Hartmannsweilerkopf (HWK)

egbert

Cue a roll of drums ...

Egbert tipped me off about this commemorative verse a few days ago, and Jack Sheldon and I have translated it and, to some extent at least, succeeeded in retaining the rhyme. But first a few observations to set it in context. The text on the commemorative plaque is actually the first two verses of a longer poem by Wolfgang Ostwald, entitled 'Dem Andenken der gefallenen Kameraden' (In Memory of Fallen Comrades). Verse 2 has been placed ahead of Verse 1, for some reason, and a key line of Verse 2 (= Verse 1 here) has been omitted. For completeness, we have gone back to a post-war version of Ostwald's poem, so our translation includes the line that is missing from the plaque. Jack is currently guiding a tour, so I did the final edit and any problems with the translation are therefore my responsibility.

Cue another roll of drums ...

You who withstood the living hell

Of the shrapnel and the shell

Thirst and hunger, frost and fever

Storm and rain are gone forever

Now let Mother Earth enfold you

In her bosom soft and warm

You who gave your blood and future

For those of us who still live on

Fallen brothers now sleep fast

No more pain and no more terror

Can disturb your sweet repose

Rest in peace, you’re home at last.

Mick

Fantastic masterpiece. Translation is one thing, but to translate it and keep the verse form is truly amazing. Well done Jack&Mick

Edited 14.9.14: I think Mick's and Jack's effort should be appreciated by the viewers here; the time and work they have invested in the proper translation and putting the verses in rhymes! They also need some motivation for such future translations.

Edited by egbert

Well, next fortress is Felseneck, a multi level complex bored into the mountain with plenty of shelters for a battalion size complement.

It consists of several entrances/exits across the levels.

Absolutely inconspicuous from the outside

post-80-0-18034000-1410691598_thumb.jpg

One of the interesting features is the connecting tunnel to the next higher located fortress Beskide which is some 40-50 meters uphill.

This view uphill , also note the steep ascent

post-80-0-62675900-1410694338_thumb.jpg

THEN

First the stairs were constructed and later the concrete roof which was made bombproof with further concrete and other rock debris material

post-80-0-79543700-1410695224_thumb.jpg

post-80-0-07903200-1410695335_thumb.jpg

More great images Egbert. It would appear that the panelling was constructed outside and then brought inside for fitting. From your photos, the nail heads seem to be top side, making it impossible for them to have been fitted in situ. Does that make sense? Almost the same process used when constructing mining tunnels but without any structural purpose. It would appear then that the panels were purely aesthetic, or possibly to keep the cold from the walls (or both)?

Regards,

Sean.

Just around a corner another connection within the fortress. This one is called Eselsbrücke (=donkey bridge) and is a covered passage way to connecting Herbstgraben (=trench). The "bridge" only covers the downward leading tunnel into the fortress galleries

post-80-0-74241000-1411036762_thumb.jpg

The view through the covered bridge (with entry to galleries at the left side). On the opposite side of the bridge you see the further ascent stairs to top position of the fortress and further on to the next in line fortress Beskide.

post-80-0-01072400-1411037012_thumb.jpg