Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

My climb up Hartmannsweilerkopf (HWK)

egbert

IMHO this is one of the most interesting photos in this thread! I received it last week from mon ami Vosgien and it was taken appr. in the 1920s.

The photographer takes this picture from Beskid fortress and immediately it is clear what tactical value the string of German fortresses at Northern slope actually had. The view and the firing area from these fortresses to the enemy line, but equally important across the valley to support with enfilading fire, is so obvious.

Today the tall trees and bushes obstruct any view beyond a couple of meters. The picture though still shows the devastated area pounded by the artillery. Small bushes and trees are already covering the vegetation-free area.

I have marked the 3 places this trip covered earlier during the uphill climb as well as the former front line in blue color.

post-80-0-56807400-1411383293_thumb.jpg

Source: mon ami Vosgien

As ever, superb photos and commentary, Egbert. I wish photos could communicate the dank smells and chilly, undisturbed air in these vestiges. I think perhaps not everyone will realise how challenging the access is to some of the interiors you have been inside.

I didn't see the recent additions before today because I've been in the Vosges myself with poor internet access. I wasn't at HWK, though.

Gwyn

Thanks Gwyn.

Well as I said the string of fortresses continue and the next in line is at 760m altitude, named Adlerhorst (Aerie/Eagle nest). When approaching uphill a massive rock formation suddenly appears in the midst of the now heavily forested slope.

post-80-0-68868700-1411461501_thumb.jpg

THEN

This post war image shows the impressive rock formation. Each square foot here was fought over heavily and the artillery plus mortars gave the vegetation and the tall fir trees the killing death blow.

post-80-0-48381000-1411462518_thumb.jpg

A faithful companion has discovered the old stairs. He guards an embrasure, accessible from an uphill entrance into the fortress.

post-80-0-12234100-1411462974_thumb.jpg

I guess it is time to follow up

post-80-0-26905400-1411463050_thumb.jpg

Adlerhorst entrance from inside. The round hole was probably the heliograph opening. Note the hinges for the missing entrance door and the original flooring still up there in the mountains.

post-80-0-10465100-1411466090_thumb.jpg

Upper level entrance to fortress. Note the concrete protection roof right of and above entrance. Also parts of the concrete covered the water well in the foreground.

post-80-0-70824600-1411571638_thumb.jpg

Egbert, your thread just gets better and better. Aided by Gwyn's informative interjections. The two of you have really brought this area alive. Let's just hope a few of the 'Ypres and Somme' brigade might decide to venture further afield.

Keith

....... The two of you have really brought this area alive. Let's just hope a few of the 'Ypres and Somme' brigade might decide to venture further afield.

Keith

...I hope not Keith :hypocrite: . I want to explore unspoiled pristine battlegrounds up there this weekend :devilgrin: when I visit the HWK neighboring mountain "Sudelkopf" (which you can see from some of the panorama views that will come later and where even more really pristine subterranean fortresses are hidden..

This place belongs to Europe, everyone with serious thoughts is welcomed by the French. But you are right, there is one element that would be worth a good fight - it is the coaches and commercial tour operators that took already posession of Flanders and Somme.........if you know what I mean.

Anyway, for the time being, please enjoy the pictures. Tomorrow will see more Adlerhorst.....

We were passing le Linge on Saturday morning en route to Hohrodberg. You know how narrow the road is there, and it's quite steep. A coach which had dropped off its passengers at le Linge presumably was unable to park there for all the other coaches, so it went down the road a little and idiotically tried to turn round. Naturally it got stuck on the edge of a forest precipice and entirely blocked the road while it inched its way back and forth. There was some sort of informal rally taking place on the mountain roads and I was amazed that a Renault Alpine careering round at about 150 kph just managed to brake.

Fortunately most of the Vosges battlefields are inaccessible by car let alone by coach, so I think your special places are safe, Egbert.

Right Gwyn, my tours will never be accessible for tour operators, coaches need 4WeelDrive. The tour I do this Monday from Northern slope up to neighboring Sudelkopf even needs more skills: thorough trench map studies, knowledge about what is up there, how to navigate through the wilderness with no trails, and a passionate local mon ami Vosgien.

Turning away from the mid-level entrance and the well, the last stairs outside the fortress demand to climb up to the very top of the fortress, where my companion already waits impatiently

post-80-0-34169800-1411638990_thumb.jpg

On top of the rock a commanding view across the valleys opens up and houses concreted trenches ending in a cul-de-sac artillery observer position, called Hochstand

post-80-0-01326300-1411639919_thumb.jpg