Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

My climb up Hartmannsweilerkopf (HWK)

egbert

Egbert, I have followed this thread with great interest. Your skill at photography and the explainations gives a feeling of "being there" with you. Thank you for your efforts to share your experiences with the forum.

Ann

I have been checking daily for updates Egbert but have now "followed" the thread. I am sure there are dozens more like me who find it fascinating but haven't followed it yet.

I can now see the followers in the "Follow this topic" button. Nice feature.

So let's go on. Feste "Veilchenstein" and previous Feste "Adlerhorst" were connected via a bored tunnel that is not accessible anymore. So the crews could either reach the fortresses along the string through surface trenches or underground, protected tunnels.

V. also has a principal entrance and alternate entrances. Here I approach the main entrance through a connecting trench from already mentioned Herbst-trench.

post-80-0-92337300-1412155921_thumb.jpg

At 810m alt. Veilchenstein dominates the slope. Unfortunately the view today is obstructed by the vegetation. Here is a small window that testifies the commanding position of this rock

post-80-0-09918600-1412156495_thumb.jpg

This compressor pipe next to the entrance gives evidence to the compressed air that was needed for all the underground boring activities

post-80-0-97111500-1412156968_thumb.jpg

All the fortresses were protected against infantry attacks from nearby French forces by a myriad of barbed wire. Here is a cluster of barbed wire pushed aside

post-80-0-51500500-1412157245_thumb.jpg

The fortified MG position; straight view over the valley for cross-firing and- turning more left- to cover the nearby enemy lines

post-80-0-47358100-1412246630_thumb.jpg

The view from the MG positions to wards the French first line, at app. 40-50m distance. Today the view is obstructed, but then......

post-80-0-27251200-1412246828_thumb.jpg

The surface level pictures convey a good idea of the nature of the terrain. From the complete stillness of your photos it seems as if you're the first person to discover the vestiges.

The barbed wire shot reminds me of the summit of la Tête des Faux*:

post-16-0-80912900-1412285471_thumb.jpg

(My photo, 2006, compressed for forum)

Gwyn

*also in Vosges, near le Bonhomme.

60 meters uphill the large fortress "Doppelkopf"shows up in the midst of the forest at 870m alt.

The massive rock houses a fortress with 3 levels, subterranean caserne, MG positions and artillery observers. It is also a front line cornerstone.

In 1915 the rock was lost to the French at the occasion of the brutal "Christmas fightings" but retaken within days. After that the rock was developed into a formidable concrete fortress.

NOW

post-80-0-65266200-1412331383_thumb.jpg

From top level- view to wards North, Thierenbach mountain, From the valleys the supporting aerial cableways began their logistical masterpiece. Here all the reserve forces were on standby and all supplies were brought up from there to HWK and Sudelkopf

post-80-0-24108500-1412332061_thumb.jpg

I do not want to bother with tons of interior pictures and just leave it with this one, showing the dangers inside the rock with sudden vertical shafts leading to more fortress stories

post-80-0-54474500-1412332413_thumb.jpg