Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

My climb up Hartmannsweilerkopf (HWK)

egbert

I am very grateful that the German commanders did not name any of their formations after Danish verbs. The name Beskide comes from an elite corps, the XXXVIII. Reservekorps which was also named Beskidenkorps and was employed both, on the East-and the Western front.

I am very grateful that the German commanders did not name any of their formations after Danish verbs. The name Beskide comes from an elite corps, the XXXVIII. Reservekorps which was also named Beskidenkorps and was employed both, on the East-and the Western front.

I almost wish they did! German humour is often ridiculed, but black sarcasm is - in my experience - a staple of German culture (and I find it wonderfully funny!).

Thanks - and off we go leaving Felseneck and if you follow Gwyn's map the next fortress is only 20 meters higher at 740m altitude. It is Beskid.

On the trail up you got to walk inside Herbstgraben (=trench)

A lot of wire rubble along the path

post-80-0-39478100-1411211894_thumb.jpg

Having just left Felseneck, I can see the single rock in which the fortress Beskid was bored into. You always have to imagine that here along the North slope all tall trees were shelled to matches, nothing but devastated mountain side with a fantastic view for miles and miles. So this image is a lucky shot to get almost the whole of Beskid rock and fortress.

Note my flashing Australian Fennec

post-80-0-48966800-1411212247_thumb.jpg

Short before and the last meters in front of Beskid fortress, Herbst trench views into rubble, barbed wire remnants and depressions from artillery fire. Everything was smashed to pieces here

post-80-0-27448300-1411213014_thumb.jpg

Just remember what I posted before. The last fortress Felseneck once was connected to Beskid fortress via subsurface tunnel (Zwischenklippe). It is not accessible anymore. I climbed up through Herbstgraben the above-ground trail.

post-80-0-49462800-1411295242_thumb.jpg

Exiting the Beskid, right at Kachelgraben (=trench), the ancient fountain "Beskidenbrunnen" is well recognizable. Sadly the original faucets have been stolen in 2000.

post-80-0-92791700-1411296788_thumb.jpg

Thanks for the continued photo-tour, Egbert; what fantastic feats of engineering and construction in such adversity

Egbert, your 'favorite picture' seems to have disappeared since earlier this afternoon. Have you removed it?

Regards,

Sean.