Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

My climb up Hartmannsweilerkopf (HWK)

egbert

All the German fortresses here had running water, latrines, compressed air and electricity .

This view to wards the exit with once gas-tight doors

post-80-0-69521100-1410169230_thumb.jpg

The inscription panel is beautiful and wonderfully preserved. How poignant to find such vivid evidence of the men's existence.

What is the significance of the symbols in the right hand panel (the three uprights with branches to their right)?

Egbert, what I find striking about your photos is the comparative lack of leaves, dirt and other detritus in the trenches and fortifications. One would have thought that, after 100 years, they would have been full of rubbish.

Most of the trenches I have explored on other mountain battlefields in the Vosges have also been free of accumulated debris. The situation tends to leave them relatively clear: they are in windy, exposed locations, so debris is blown out; and they are on steep hillsides so loosened material travels downwards.

The partially infilled trenches I have seen most recently were on the area close to le Markstein, which is a wide open, bare summit. Some of the trench lines leading from the route des Crêtes have accumulated soil some soil on their floor, which has been grassed over. Even there, the vestiges tend to have weeds and stones at the bottom, not detritus. I found the same on Petit Ballon.

Gwyn

The inscription panel is beautiful and wonderfully preserved. How poignant to find such vivid evidence of the men's existence.

What is the significance of the symbols in the right hand panel (the three uprights with branches of their right)?

Gwyn the 3 buckhorns are part of the Württemberg state heraldic/crest (black on yellöw). The state where the constructors L.I.R. 124 was peace time based

Thank you! (My original post was meant to say 'to their right'.)

From the look of those ceilings, you are quite the brave fellow to have ventured inside!!!

I look forward to more photos. Well done!

-Daniel

Always imagine that there was no bush/tree vegetation that obstructed the killing field. This view downhill the valley were I started my climb earlier

post-80-0-01358100-1410255782_thumb.jpg

In order to present a better understanding of the view and military capabilities they had from these balcony-style parapets, I have stitched the 2 previous photos into a panorama picture although the camera angles slightly distorts the picture

post-80-0-25334000-1410256095_thumb.jpg

The balcony parapet is just some 2-3-meters wide. In the back another exit from the subterranean galleries. You can see how steep the slope leads uphill.

Note the irons for attaching camouflage nets and the still intact iron frame from the gas proof door.

post-80-0-26661700-1410256535_thumb.jpg

the end of the concrete parapet. This point is very close to the French line. If you look down into the valley, you can see already French occupied territory

post-80-0-28042400-1410256852_thumb.jpg

Although another location here in the Vosges mountains -that's how it looked like at Kanzel during the winter.

post-80-0-49508500-1410256966_thumb.jpg

Excellent Egbert, I always marvel at the incredible feats of engineering in such hostile conditions

Some 200meters away, same altitude of approximately 570m, is impressive "Tanzplatz" (=dance floor). (Check Gwyn's map , post #743)

TP bunkers housed a massive first aid station, command post and many supply facilities like kitchen, telephone posts electrical power station, blacksmith for the pack animals etc. It also was supplied by an aerial cableway.

post-80-0-23788800-1410337861_thumb.jpg

The main bunker is massive and decorated with lots of ornaments.

This panorama picture is slightly warped due to different camera angle. The structure itself is indeed a straight line.

post-80-0-46801600-1410338227_thumb.jpg

THEN

A post war photography shows the ornaments in detail. The sign says Truppenverbandplatz (Battalion Aid Station)

Note the wooden structures built to embellish the front of the naked concrete

post-80-0-43495300-1410338651_thumb.jpg

Today the TP is a quiet and remote place. It sure was lively then, just 250meters behind the front lines. Shelling by indirect artillery fire was imminent and required concrete protection

post-80-0-96203800-1410338945_thumb.jpg