Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

My climb up Hartmannsweilerkopf (HWK)

egbert

Do you recognize anything you've posted a photo of in this great thread?

Roel

Roel, the Bischofshut supposed to be introduced here with pictures/text from my next climb, the Northern route . But as you know, the interest was too low to continue the HWK thread. So yes I recognize pictures from the footage, but they are from Northern and Eastern route up the HWK.

Egbert please post the Northern route, I am very interested and I am sure that others will be.

Your photos and information on this subject have learnt me so much.

I am also interested Egbert. I have even had a holiday in the Vosges thanks to yours and Gwyn's threads.

Mandy

But as you know, the interest was too low to continue the HWK thread.

I know what you mean. I've almost given up any idea of trying to communicate how interesting the Vosges area is. I said nothing about my last trips (four weeks total this year - including last week), but then some people are appreciative. But if those of us who don't focus on the British sector in France and Flanders stop sharing information and pictures, this really will become a British-focussed forum. I think we have to believe and accept that some people are reading and enjoying, but silently. Having said that, I understand how dispiriting it is to have barely any feedback.

Maybe try again, with another thread for a different section of HWK so that people aren't overfaced by the idea of reading through a 28-page thread.

Gwyn

Yes, keep going, gentlemen: I have made two visits to the area and I have seen so much that I had not appreciated existed as a consequence of these threads. even better the the 'then' photos to complement the 'as is' ones.

Yes please keep going. I have never visited and to be honest knew nothing about it until Egbert told me to read up on it. Now I am hooked.

A great read and incredible subject.

Please do continue. I've only managed one short visit, as I flagged earlier in the thread, and that was only to the open tourist accessible areas because of time limitations. I've found all 28 pages fascinating.

John

• 1 month later...

Roel, the Bischofshut supposed to be introduced here with pictures/text from my next climb, the Northern route . But as you know, the interest was too low to continue the HWK thread. So yes I recognize pictures from the footage, but they are from Northern and Eastern route up the HWK.

Good evening Egbert

I have been on the forum for sometime but am one of the quiet followers. More through my knowledge is poor but interest is high. In a nutshell don't want to make a daft comment.

I am British and travelled the traditional British Battlefield out of respect for our forefathers. Five years ago I started following a couple of threads regarding Verdun. like the Vosges there is very little in English on the subject, that was until Christina Holstien published her series of guides. These books in hand I have made the journey to Verdun four times and gained a passion and deep respect for the area. This has sown a seed of interest in other (Non British) battlefields.

I have just found this thread and it is outstanding. I would like to join the others and thank you for the time, effort and dedication you have given.

As a result you have just secured another visitor to the area form the UK.. You mention other areas and I fully intend to find and read through them to plan out a week.

Thanks

Guy

don't give much impact because I rely on the tremendous threads like this to build my knowledge of these

Ok, thanks for the last entries and encouragements. I think I will continue to post my second picture climb on HWK here. But give me some time until January as I will be out of country until the end of 2013

Hi Egbert

This is great news.

Enjoy your time away and have a good Christmas and New Year. I look forward to reading through your previous threads then the new climb tread in January. Gives me time to get a bit fitter for the visit.

What time of year would you recommend as a best time to make the trip?

Kind regards

Guy

Great news indeed.I for one will be looking forward to it as it has been a real education to me.

2014 will be an exciting year Egbert with your updates and your appearance on the Antiques Roadshow to look forward too.

Ant

Great news indeed.I for one will be looking forward to it as it has been a real education to me.

2014 will be an exciting year Egbert with your updates and your appearance on the Antiques Roadshow to look forward too.

Ant

Hi Egbert

This is great news.

Enjoy your time away and have a good Christmas and New Year. I look forward to reading through your previous threads then the new climb tread in January. Gives me time to get a bit fitter for the visit.

What time of year would you recommend as a best time to make the trip?

Kind regards

Guy

Egbert

I am in full agreement with what Guy and my mate Ant have said. I first became aware of the Hartmannswieierkopf on my first trip to the battlefields years ago through an old copy of a French magazine dating from late 1915. It was in a pile in one of the gites that we stayed in and had a drawing of the hill as it was in 1915 on the cover. That image has stayed with me and it has always been a place I've wanted to visit. Like Guy I have a keen interest in the French battlefields and have visited all of them as far south as St Mihiel but never made it to the Vosges. When I found your post I thought this is as good as going there, maybe even better because it is so detailed; thanks for posting it.

Pete.

I think I will continue to post my second picture climb on HWK here.

About time :w00t::thumbsup: Well done Egbert.

Looking forward to it.

Sean.

Egbert

Really something to look forward to over the long winter evenings.

John

• 2 months later...

Well this THEN picture will illustrate best, what the "hinges" and the whole transport system are good for.

attachicon.gifHWK (126a).jpg

I know that this is a bit belated response but when I recognize something as being something similar to what I am familiar with it 'nags' at me until I can think of it. Although it is certainly not a German army term or even in German, here are my thoughts, if you think of a slaughterhouse or abattoir, the process of dressing out carcasses is completed by the use of an overhead 'rail' and the carcasses are supported and moved on hooks known as 'gambrels'. It appears that this is an adaptation of the same process.

regards

khaki

• 1 month later...

Hi Egbert.

Hope you and a good Christmas and new year. Noticed your back on a couple of other forum chats.

Have read through your other threads as wells as those from Dragon (Gwyn). Again both brilliant. You and Gwyn should write a guide book on the area.

Will you be posting the second climb? I hope so

Thanks

Guy