Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

My climb up Hartmannsweilerkopf (HWK)

egbert

I think you have to decide whether you think your material has merit or not and whether you believe in it enough to share it. I don't think press-ganging, counting or asking for followers is going to elicit the response you want. You have to accept that a lot of people view threads without declaring themselves. Your viewing figures will tell you whether you have an interested audience. It's the same with a website: you believe in your material, put it out there and can tell that it's being viewed. It's quite normal to have stuff looked at without a flood of compliments: this is the way of the web.

If you believe your material is worthwhile, interesting and adds to the body of knowledge about the Great War, then share it because you want to share it, not because you've asked people to reassure you.

Gwyn

egbert

Gwyn makes a fair point.

Most days I will view the current postings and not make a comment even if they are interesting.

Go for it.

Tony

With great respect I have learned today that HP Tombi the HWK ikon from whose website I learnt so much died yesterday evening. He was an inspriation for all HWK enthusiasts and devoted his life to archive all HWK matters to preserve them and make them accessible for coming generations.

RIP

The link won't open, unfortunately.

Edit. It opens now I'm using a PC. It won't work on iPad.

Edited by Dragon

The link won't open, unfortunately.

It opens for me (there you are Egbert, I'm reading your thread, and with interest) but unfortunately my lack of German means I can only look at the pictures.

cheers Martin B

• 5 months later...

There are a lot of youtube slideshows about the HWK.

reflects most of my route up the mountain which I posted the previous pages. Others on youtube show i.e. the two other routes up the mountain, the Western and Northwestern ascent, which I did as well and of which I have tons of then and now pictures not shown here on GWF. Worthwhile to view the slide shows!

Time is running.....Feste (fortress) Limburg (Western ascent) with its underground galleries was heavily destroyed this year by vandals. The Iron Cross above the entrance is gone and the name plate is damaged. This is how it looked last year:

post-80-0-57872200-1376427435_thumb.jpg

I'm sorry to read this, Egbert. It's one thing time destroying vestiges but sad when humans intervene to do so. Did you take the second picture yourself - that is, have you been again?

(Quite separately, what do you know about Haïcot / Haycot? The Landsturm Inf Battalion Friedberg Lion mosaic and the little Bonn memorial? I went up there in June and have some curious postcards of the memorial and the shelter there. I intend to put them on my blog shortly.)

Gwyn

Egbert, was the damage done to remove the cross do you know?

Regards,

Sean.

There is a suggestion that the 2014 Tour de France could pass through symbolic sites of the Great War, including HWK and le Linge. Dernières Nouvelles Alsace

Gwyn @ Sean, I do not know more about the damage. It was posted in the July news section of "Freunde des Hartmannsweilerkopf" website.

The top picture is from my last visit, the damage-picture is from hk1418.de.

Gwyn if I see your pictures , I probably can say something about your mosaic/memorial. Maybe I know them under a different name.

The mosaic is fairly well known; it's a challenging lion created out of mosaic by German troops. You access it via Haycot high in the mountains above Col de Baganelles. The only place so far I've put a photo is on my Facebook and I've just made the particular post public so hopefully you can see it here. What I'm curious about is a German memorial adjacent to a shelter and I think something published about it is wrong. I don't want to take up your thread on something not relevant to it. Do you want me to email the pictures?

How do you know?

I'm aware that forestry workers accidentally and deliberately destroyed a lot of German structures when they were replanting the Vosges battlefields in the 1930s, but to a point that was necessary if the forests were ever properly to be useful again.

Gwyn

• 3 weeks later...

Fantastic Egbert. I am stunned after reading through this thread. I hope most of the places remain in a safe state, it is a walk through time.

How I would like to visit here. If you go back can I bunk in the boot?

Ant

I am still hesitating whether to start the Western slope climp picture thread. Reason is the massive copy, cropping, resizing and underlaying historical information work vs the relative little interest of two handful followers here

Egbert please continue this great work. ( if you have point me to the thread )

I must say sorry as I have only read through the thread this week. It is fantastic and a real education to me.

As The Beatles say " Please Please Me " If you have the time post more, your work is much appreciated.

Ant

• 2 weeks later...