Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

My climb up Hartmannsweilerkopf (HWK)

egbert

egbert

I really enjoy viewing your photographs as it has completely changed my opinion of what took place in WW1.

A most interesting history lesson and I thank you for that.

I look forward to your next posts.

Tony

Thank you Egbert for an amazing thread which has definitely opened my eyes to a part of the Great War I knew nothing about.

I look forward to your next epic picture thread.

Cheers

David.

Thanx to the last 6 posters who showed their interest in the HWK and the thread.

British interest in the HWK and the Vosges battlegrounds was much broader in 1915 than today as this image proves, when Brigadier Edward Spears from British Military Mission to the French War Office visits the places . Here he was photographed 14.7.1915 only 8 km away from HWK in the village of Moosch:

post-80-0-20211500-1357556956_thumb.jpg

picture courtesiy of Louis and Mike Sheil

Thank you Egbert. Like all of your threads I have enjoyed this one tremendously. I must admit I would not have believed how much work was carried out by the Germans in this area, almost like building a town underground. It was sad to see the latter posts relating to the German cemeteries.

I hope you continue to educate and entertain with further threads on this area

Kind regards

John

Would you be able to translate the memorial in post 587 please?

Son of Germany bare your head,

For you tread on hallowed ground;

Graves by the storm exposed

That proclaim with mighty sound

The heroes, fallen here in battle

For Germany's honour; that she might endure.

Their names shall never be forgotten,

Kept sacred, they will live for evermore.

Dedicated to our fallen comrades

9th Company Landwehr Infantry Regiment 56

May 1916

In the best tradition of the forum, this is an Anglo-German co-production between Jack Sheldon, myself and Egbert.

Dear Egbert, that you so much for a superb thread again. As others have mentioned, this is the first time that I have been made aware of the ferocity of the fighting in the Alsace during WW1. A question for those from the UK who have visited the HWK: would I be correct in assuming ~ a 5 hour drive from Calais ? Has anyone flown to Basel and driven from there?

Many thanks

Charles

Charles, 5 hrs will easily make it. You can also fly in to Basel or Baden airport, all served by low cost carriers.....

For the slow driver from Calais to Wattwiller at the foot of HWK, yah00 route planner shows exactly 6 hrs.

Edited by egbert

May 1916

In the best tradition of the forum, this is an Anglo-German co-production between Jack Sheldon, myself and Egbert.

That's wonderful. Thank you for the translation. Tops off a stunning thread.

Cheers Andy.

.A question for those from the UK who have visited the HWK: would I be correct in assuming ~ a 5 hour drive from Calais ?

Five hours is impossible if you drive within the speed limits. I would say eight hours driving, plus stops. Le Vieil Armand / Hartmannswillerkopf is in the south of the area. I would expect to spend six hours driving to the mid-Vosges – I have done this dozens of times using the routes below – which isn’t the proposed final destination, so an overnight stop in Alsace or the Vosges themselves before embarking on a visit to le Vieil Armand is the minimum I would plan. There is so much to see which is interesting, beautiful and worth stopping for that even a short holiday is very rewarding.

The problem is that approaching from the west you have to get round, through or over the Vosges, and to reach le Vieil Armand you have to get round the Grand Ballon, which is a little under 1500m in height. These are mountain roads: they are indirect, steep, often forested, some narrow in parts, inclined to be wet, possibly foggy even in midsummer (at the top of Col de la Schlucht in mid-June last year I couldn’t see my car within ten metres of it). There are rarely places you can go fast. On through routes you can get stuck behind slow-moving trucks. If you go in winter some routes are closed. You’d see from a map that each of my suggestions involves traversing the mountains via a pass or a col.

Travelling the whole way on motorway or motorway equivalent (via Strasbourg) is no quicker and it’s boring.

Check the timing on Via Michelin, but I’m confident I’m right. Allow eight hours. Edit. Checked Via Michelin and yes.

Route suggestion 1

Leave the motorway soon after Reims, near Chalons

N4 to St-Dizier and then Toul

E21 to Nancy

A33 to Lunéville

N59 to St-Dié

St-Dié to Anould

then a choice of routes:

Anould – Plainfang - Col du Bonhomme – Orbey* area then various routes

Anould - Col de la Schlucht – Munster* area then various routes

Anould – Col de la Schlucht - Route des Crêtes via le Markstein to le Vieil Armand

Alternatively – and this is not recommended:

St-Dié to St-Marie aux Mines

St-Marie to Ribeauvillé

Ribeauvillé to D83 junction near Colmar

Colmar D83 south to Wattwiller

Or:

Route suggestion 2

E21 to Nancy

N57 via Epinal to Thann and Cernay

Cernay to Uffholtz

D431 Route des Crêtes then north to le Vieil Armand

Or:

Route suggestion 3

E21 to Nancy

N57 via Epinal to Willer-sur-Thur

D13B to Route des Crêtes then south to le Vieil Armand

*Orbey and Munster areas are both good bases with a lot to see, including WW1 sites.

I have picture threads of my own elsewhere on the GWF which attempt to give a flavour of the Vosges and their war history.

Gwyn

Gwyn, thank you so much for this. I agree, an overnight stop is the way to do it. Will report back on which route we take.

Cheers

Charles

No problem; I had it as a .doc because people often ask me which way to go, so I just copied and pasted!

I think I make the driving sound like a trial, but it isn't: it's a beautiful area and there are the inevitable photo stops... :)

May 1916

Congratulations all round. It's a moving epitaph.

Liz

Egbert

I go away and come back to find that this thread just got better and better. Thank you so much for all your work on this it has really helped me get a feel for this mountain I hope you continue to share your photos.

Tim B

May 1916

And here we go for a French translation. I learned that the 1916 author is a German Alsatian named Ernest Schmitt from Soultz

post-80-0-26566500-1358430481_thumb.jpg

While sorting through my mass of WW1-related literature, I came across a publication I had forgotten about. I must have purchased it during my trip to the Vosges in 2007. It is a foolscap-sized booklet, about 100 pages, produced by ‘Les Amis du Hartmannswillerkopf’ called :

‘Chronique de l’Hartmann 1914-1915 Tome 1’

It is in French, and contains a commentary on activities in the area during the first year of the war, also a host of photographs and postcards, some of them taken during the war and others post-war. There are also several maps of the area. Altogether, a very interesting and useful booklet.

Investigation via Google revealed that they have a website http://www.ahwk.fr/ where this booklet, Tome 2, and several other books and maps can be purchased at very reasonable prices. There is also a Forum, plus a lot of information about the HWK, and a wealth of photographs.

Keith

I am posting this here as it will be of interest to anyone following this thread. Thanks to the generosity of fellow GWF member Mebu, I have just found a very good two-part description of the Vosges fighting in 1914 and 1915, in the WFA Bulletin issues 31 and 32. It is by Christian de Saint Julien and covers the French strategy in the Vosges, the dreadful conditions in the winter of 1914-15, and of course the terrible losses suffered by both sides.

Keith

A stone's throw away from cemetery L.I.R. 124 is another enchanted cemetery, that of the Uhlans. The bodies have been relocated to concentration cemeteries sometime between 1920 and 1922.

post-80-0-68479100-1357229941_thumb.jpg

I was just informed from the French Amis du Hartmannsweillerkopf (AHWK) about the last clean-up of Uhlanenfriedhof (-cemetery), accomplished by these German Army military in 2012

post-80-0-77261100-1359552487_thumb.jpg

source: http://www.ahwk.fr/retrospective-2012-ruckblick/

• 2 weeks later...

Today 70 cm snow on HWK. Inaccessible, everything up there rests under a white blanket in silence and peace.

A friend tried to climb up today, but had to return at 600m alt., "Lippische Schweiz" (pictures see in this thread). All the trenches shown here in the thread are completely filled up and covered with snow and there is absolutely nothing recognizable, even the underground galleries can not be reached.

Edited by egbert

That's the weather in Alsace !!! you never know what's coming !!!

Meanwhile, I've got six month left here and I still was not there BUT .... I'm not giving up !!!!

MM.

Travelling the whole way on motorway or motorway equivalent (via Strasbourg) is no quicker and it’s boring.

Have to object here ... if you drive via strasbourg, you just make a stop to visit this marvellous city, my present-time hometown (of which I'm very proud...) and you'll see ot's NOT boring!!!

For those who need more info, or help, just holler !!!!

MM.

I did not say Strasbourg was boring. If I ever had to live in a city in mainland Europe, I would wish to choose Strasbourg. I've been there in winter, in summer, in spring and in autumn, have stayed there many times, have eaten at lots of restaurants, many of which were recommended by a family member who was a member of a European body and knew the city very well, and I have been there most Christmases for goodness knows how long. It is indeed the most fabulous city.

My post said that travelling the whole way from Calais to Alsace on the motorway is boring. It is.

I also said that it isn't any quicker to go the whole way on the autoroute; it certainly isn't direct.

Gwyn