Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

My climb up Hartmannsweilerkopf (HWK)

egbert

Compared with the mountain pattern in the background my position on Zick-Zack trail equals this THEN picture of a NCO or officer walking the trail

post-80-0-46297600-1409515951_thumb.jpg

Then & Now

post-80-0-25852600-1409516012_thumb.jpg

An impressive climb, Egbert. I find the signs of men's lives and presence - the inscriptions - particularly poignant.

In my opinion, you're right in your assessment that the majority of visitors will stick to the main paths: for most people, there is plenty to see on that route. I have never explored the areas you have, particularly the current set of images, because as you say, you need to know where you're going. I don't. Having been lost in trenches on HWK as dusk approached, it really isn't an experience I wish to repeat. Again, as you said, you need to be extremely fit. Some people get out of breath going down through the cemetery and back.

Have you ever considered blogging this material? There is so much substantial work in your images and text that it deserves a wider audience than a forum.

Gwyn

Without wishing to hijack Egbert's thread, I see that some people have been inspired to consider visiting Alsace and the Vosges battlegrounds areas. In response to various people's requests for information, I have written a 22 page illustrated .pdf suggesting how to go about it, where to walk, etc. and I revise it after each visit. It's a personal take on visiting but has the advantage of being in English. I haven't mentioned much about HWK because I don't know it that well, but I've suggested other battlefield areas to explore and how to get to them. It has apparently gone down well with people who've received it.

If anyone is interested, please send me a PM.

Gwyn

Right -so the core people who are interested in the Vosges mountain warfare are gathered by now .

I am still climbing through Zick-Zack trail and pass numerous black holes and collapsed bunkers and tunnels which are too dangerous to enter

post-80-0-74477900-1409567635_thumb.jpg

On this very same trail, 99 years ago the companies hurried up in full gear to relieve worn out companies and all goods had to be carried up here, before the Northern flank cable railways were built. Truly a historical path

post-80-0-51439400-1409568057_thumb.jpg

This is how it looked in the winter at minus 25 degrees centigrade. Now imagine the attacks in December 1915.......

THEN

(Note the sentry next to the tree)

post-80-0-80302300-1409568585_thumb.jpg

Numerous communication trenches built after 1915 criss-cross the trail to give more protection to the men from harassing artillery- or mortar fire.

According to my maps the "Freudenkind" trench system should appear now.

Et voilà uphill, I can see one of the many bunkers, guarding the trail and this Northern HWK flank. Soon "Freudenkind" trench will lead me to the system of trenches , bunkers and tunnels

post-80-0-65052400-1409569307_thumb.jpg

I recently bought a Club Vosgien map published in the 1960s for people who wished to explore Hartmannswillerkopf. I'm following your trail on that.

Gwyn

14920021029_f0caa6d523_s.jpgHWK Club Vosgien 1960s map extract 2 by mightygwyn

Egbert has asked me to share this map. I'm sorry, the way to insert and image hosted on flickr has changed and I can't work out how to do it any more.

Gwyn

Trying again.

post-16-0-58294400-1409586325_thumb.jpg

I wish it were better. Something has changed and I can't insert images which are hosted externally (on flickr). I had to compress that one and post it directly, but if I could host it externally then it would be much clearer.

Gwyn

Hi Egbert,

Fantastic photos as usual, with the centenary of the Battle of the Frontiers over already, maybe next year I'll get chance to visit the Vosges again. Your thread is a real inspiration and thank you Gwynn for the additional mapping.

Trying again for a clearer map. Well. it's bigger.

14920021029_90740656fd_k.jpgHWK Club Vosgien 1960s map extract 2 by mightygwyn, on Flickr

Egbert, so good to see you and the mighty HWK back my friend. Thank you so much for your efforts. And thanks also to Gwyn for additional mapping and other information. (Incidentally Gwyn, I tried pm'ing you, but your mailbox appears to be full)

Keith

Hi Keith. I've erased some space.

Gosh, that map's big. I hope it hasn't broken the forum frames.

Nope. It had a better reception on Twitter.

So here we turn right for a short distance into Freudenkind Graben (trench); you can very well identify the spot on Gwyn's excellent 1960 map.

Zick-Zack trail is crossed by Freudenkind trench. Coming up from the valley it is a communication trench and from here it changes to a front line combat trench system the nearer we approach the 1916 static line.. This trench is clearly visible and in a remarkable condition

post-80-0-82007400-1409669045_thumb.jpg

Soon this bunker system inside the trench will show up. Right side an observation bunker guarding the slope down wards with view on Zick-Zack trail and directly opposite of the bunker's entrance a deep bored gallery leading down to the 7 dwarfs. Note my fennec checking for dwarfs exactly above the 1916 constructor's sign.

post-80-0-85590100-1409669497_thumb.jpg