Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

My climb up Hartmannsweilerkopf (HWK)

egbert

Amazing Egbert, just Amazing.

How I would love to visit here, so much to see.

I am with you on the amazing bit Ant, but this is even better than visiting as it does not involve scaling any slopes. Thanks again Egbert; this is a really unique thread.

Pete.

Pete, it might be the next best thing to visiting, but I don't consider it 'even better'. You have to actually walk the ground to appreciate the effort of those soldiers, and to feel their presence.

Keith

Pete, it might be the next best thing to visiting, but I don't consider it 'even better'. You have to actually walk the ground to appreciate the effort of those soldiers, and to feel their presence.

Keith

You are of course correct Keith; the mountain has intrigued me for as long as I can remember. The scale of the engineering is staggering and I am sure the topography and the trees will make the sense of the men who struggled there particularly real. The great thing about this thread for me is that I can visit virtually and my dodgy cartilages don't throb. I'd need to get back into serious shape before following in Egbert's august footsteps. But it would be a good thing all round if I did.

Pete.

The steep slopes- yes that is something I would like to convey, but of course nobody can put this in words. It was really strenuous until here and I remember I was soaked.....but -now, leaving the small TP plateau you will encounter the most steep part of the climb. I cannot imagine how they could man-carry 50kg mortar grenades to higher firing positions. The support from aerial cable ways and narrow gauge lines was non-existent before 1916. Only man and mules.

As I said, leaving the TP and merging in a small trail up wards I see the so called "Felsenkaserne II" after only some 20-40 meters. The barracks are blown into the rock and are accessible. Other names are "Radfahrer Kaserne" (cyclist's barracks) or the German soldiers ironically also named the "Heldenkeller" (=heroes cellar).

post-80-0-25844300-1410445979_thumb.jpg

The Felsenkaserne II complex does not only comprise of bomb proof galleries bored into the rocks but concrete bunkers, adjacent to the galleries

post-80-0-76376500-1410514731_thumb.jpg

....as the concrete crumbles and shows the core iron. Remember all cement, sand, iron etc had to brought up here by manpower and pack animals before the aerial cable ways were built.

post-80-0-21369100-1410515188_thumb.jpg

With a pristine constructor's sign, saying Kaserne II (barracks), 3.Kompanie, Reserve-Jäger-Bataillon 8 and 12.Kompanie, Landwehr Infanterie Regiment 56

post-80-0-18890800-1410517247_thumb.jpg

Only some 20meters away from the barracks is a bunker called "Haus Käthe". The name origins from 1st Lt Mühe's wife , whose forename was Käthe.

Oberleutnant Mühe was a respected warrior here on HWK and some features and trench sections even bear his last name. He was the adjutant of Major Kachel, also a well known and courageous battalion commander of R.J.B. 8

NOW

post-80-0-09992500-1410532000_thumb.jpg

After an extremely steep climb I arrive at Löwenpfad (trail). Löwen-trail leads directly into the first line trench and was named after the pastor of L.I.R. 40, Protestant pastor Löwe. Along this trail I follow a short distance to the old Jäger-cemetery R.J.B 8

post-80-0-41495400-1410605698_thumb.jpg

The ancient cemetery does not exist anymore and is only recognizable because of the periwinkle plant that is still high up there, once planted by the Jäger

THEN

post-80-0-57992600-1410606023_thumb.jpg

The next 2 pictures are taken from approximately the center of the old cemetery. Note the extreme steep grade. (I came up from the valley down there)

post-80-0-75292200-1410606493_thumb.jpg

The entrance to the ancient cemetery was once decorated with these verses the Jäger addressed at their dead; and Mick might have a surprise for us?

post-80-0-64846400-1410607520_thumb.jpg