Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

My climb up Hartmannsweilerkopf (HWK)

egbert

From here the French lines were just a stone's throw away. The thickness of the metal is appr. 1.5 inch and the artillery observer could direct own fire across the whole range of own artillery and mortars.

post-80-0-93457500-1411640775_thumb.jpg

and phantastic clear views. This one across the valley to wards the Sudelkopf mountain (which I will explore extensively next Monday with the help of mon ami Vosgien).

post-80-0-78037200-1411722529_thumb.jpg

A commanding view from the top of the fortress.

In blue=appr. front line.

The mountain in the far distance is the highest mountain of the Vosges, named Grand Ballon=Großer Belchem. Foreground ridge is Roche Dure=Hartfelsen, Sudelkopf mountain right side

NOW

post-80-0-05974500-1411723187_thumb.jpg

Superb images. I love the juxtapositions.

I think it's worth adding that le Grand Ballon is 1424 metres. It is all formidable territory. I was walking up le Grand Ballon last week: there is a memorial to the Diables Bleus up there and a radar station. (I got close but not to the summit because I was recovering from having had cellulitis the previous week and I simply exhausted my energy.) I have considerable respect for the men who were despatched up there to these very challenging, arduous conditions. The climate in these Vosges battlefields can be glacial or scorching and there may not be much in between. It can vary within hours and a few kilometres. We had dense fog with temperatures of 5° at Col de la Schlucht and temperatures of 30° in Munster.

Egbert, a hundred years ago this month, the Germans and the French fought for control of Col de la Chipotte, with terrible casualties. One of the problems both sides had then was that a lot of the men had no experience of fighting in densely forested mountain territory. As the battles for Hartmanswillerkopf began within four months or so of that battle, how far had the Germans by then addressed the problem that this type of forested terrain was unfamiliar to some of their troops? Was it still a handicap to some?

Gwyn

I think it's worth adding that le Grand Ballon is 1424 metres.

Last time I was up there, my eldest lad found a shrapnel ball just slightly upwards of the Blue Devils memorial (in the area of those mystery sangar-like positions). He likes to think that it is (and I can't really argue) possibly the Western Front's highest battlefield relic!

Dave

...... As the battles for Hartmanswillerkopf began within four months or so of that battle, how far had the Germans by then addressed the problem that this type of forested terrain was unfamiliar to some of their troops? Was it still a handicap to some?

Gwyn

Gwyn, the Landwehr regiments had no experience and they were elderly men. A bit different it was with the Bavarian units that were used to mountainous regions. But in general it was a "Learning-by-doing" affair. I have some excellent examples from Killians book about the difficult understanding and learning of mortar warfare in the mountains. The thick forest (until shot to pieces in 1915) was also a real problem. The French forces fired from tall fir trees, the German soldiers did not understand at first where the fires came from; for artillery firing and of course the mortar firings you had to forward deploy the observers as far as possible in order to direct fire in the forest. Many were casualties of friendly fire. Especially the elderly soldiers from the Landwehr units were extremely proud on themselves to cope so quickly with this new warfare.

The next 2 fortresses in line would be "Veilchenstein" and "Doppelkopf". They also are bored into 2 prominent rock formations. As has been told before- the last fortress "Adlerhorst" is also directly connected via a tunnel to the higher fortress Veilchenstein besides the labyrinth of surface trenches.

Here is a post war picture, taken from the French lines showing the German side with its fortresses. The vegetation re-grows already but by far is not so thick and forested as it is today

post-80-0-31899000-1411896655_thumb.jpg

Egbert,

I have only recently found the GWF and then your posts about HWK. They have certainly improved my knowledge of the War, up until now I had no idea that there was fighting in the mountains in the Alsace area, and I can sympathise with the troops of all sides as I was a member of the RAF Mountain Rescue back in the '60s in the north of Scotland and have first hand knowledge of mountains in winter. Thank you very much for posting all these photos.

Please do not give up!

Best regards,

Keithtug

Egbert

As always its great to see these pictures thank you so much for sharing them. Dragons and your posts have made this a must visit area when Im there next year.

Tim B

... up until now I had no idea that there was fighting in the mountains in the Alsace area...

You can find quite a few more illustrated threads about the Great War in the Vosges and Alsace by clicking on the tags [marked by a symbol like a luggage label] at the bottom of Egbert's thread. I think most of them are by Egbert or me. :)

If you're interested, I am blogging about the area in the period 1871-1914 (and a bit into the war) at the Blue Line Frontier. I make use of my collection of archive postcards and documents and my own photos.

Gwyn

I have just returned from a further Vosges mountain warfare research trip. Totally off-site and hidden fortresses on Sudelkopf mountain. Sudelkopf neighbors HWK. Fantastic pristine underground fortresses with fully intact wooden paneling as if had been left yesterday by German troops. One day cleanup and most can be used again. These places can not be traced easy and only with the help of mon ami Vosgien and exact maps. It was a strenuous climb up and down and took the whole day-but totally worth it.

Teaser photo here:

post-80-0-61885000-1412093131_thumb.jpg

And now back to HWK

Thanks for the information about the problems of the forests, Egbert. I'm very glad you had a stimulating day on Sudel. I'm sorry not to have been able to help with maps.

Would you consider a new thread for Sudelkopf? This thread is getting quite long to scroll through! :)

Re your current images of your travels on HWK: were these fortifications used in WW2 as well?

Gwyn

Thanks for the information about the problems of the forests, Egbert. I'm very glad you had a stimulating day on Sudel. I'm sorry not to have been able to help with maps.

Louis brought all the necessary maps- thanx!

Would you consider a new thread for Sudelkopf? This thread is getting quite long to scroll through! :)

I do not know whether I will post the Sudel at all/ later, I am glad that at least this HWK thread gains some interest . Only 6 pals follow it routinely

Re your current images of your travels on HWK: were these fortifications used in WW2 as well?

Operational-no. There was a SS training facility for mountain warfare on the Eastern slope of HWK

Gwyn

I know it often seems dispiriting, but you mustn't assume that people aren't interested if they decide not to comment. Sometimes it seems a shame to interrupt the flow of pictures.

A 'like' button would be most useful!